voltage on construction side

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

on German forum i read frequently that British workes use 110/120V on the construction side ond private persones use 220/240V. Is that correct?

Cheers
Pedder

More or less - 110v has been fairly standard on construction sites in the UK. As far as I know there is no legislation to say that this must be the case though, it's more a case of companies setting their own policies for construction workers to follow on their sites. In many cases the policy will be set by someone who thinks that 110v is a legal requirement, rather than someone who knows what they're talking about.
In fact, with a 240v supply and suitable protective devices such as RCCDs and MCBs there is absolutely no need for 110v any more.

pedder":axx3x5pe said:
Hi,

on German forum i read frequently that British workes use 110/120V on the construction side ond private persones use 220/240V. Is that correct?

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder, on site a 240/110 volt transformer is often used to provide added protection from the mains feed.

The transformers are built with an earthed metallic shield between the two windings and the 110volt winding is centre tapped to earth.

This means that any contact by an operator with either of the 110 volt output lines only exposes them to 55 volts to earth so effectively reducing the potential for a fatal shock. This in-built method was developed before the availability of sensitive RCB's and in any case is inherently safer than a switch mechanism that may fail.

A typical example is Shown Here.

Hi , thanks for the input.

Now I wonder if builders use 110V tools.

Cheers Pedder

all my tools are in 110v for use on site, even my domino.

Its what is required on site, along with googles, gloves hard hat, ear defenders knee pads, harnesses, pasma certification to erect scaffolds, scissor lift licences etc etc etc. all mad in my opinion as it taking it the other way and making it more dangerous.

one guy i know was using a powersaw and had the required gloves on, the blade snagged on the gloves and pulled his hand into the teeth causing considerable pain.

The reason it is made policy is because that is what the insurance companies specify..

The HSE use common sense believe it or not with regards to site work.

Thanks alot, guys!

So do you buy tools in america? They'e cheaper there.

Cheers Pedder

pedder":1t82hgdx said:
Thanks alot, guys!

So do you buy tools in america? They'e cheaper there.

Cheers Pedder

American tooling is OK if it is a universal motor (brushes).

If it's an induction motor then there can be problems with different speeds (runs slower on 50Hz) and overheating because of the difference in frequency (USA 60Hz) can result in higher current consumption.

A 240/110 volt transformer purchased in the USA is most unlikely to be of the safety isolation variety.

Importing into the EU usually results in no appreciable saving due to import and Vat payments if it gets caught by customs and excise.

mark270981":1qvel5wk said:
Its what is required on site, along with googles, gloves hard hat, ear defenders knee pads, harnesses, pasma certification to erect scaffolds, scissor lift licences etc etc etc. all mad in my opinion as it taking it the other way and making it more dangerous.

You forgot the piece of paper that says you've been trained to climb a step-ladder.

Too many 'safety' gizmos = too much complacency = more accidents..not less..IMO.

Forty years ago when I was on Outside Broadcasts we were running mains cables outside all over the place. Only two of the sockets had RCDs on but we never relied on them, instead preferring to apply (a) good waterproofiing and (b) lots of commonsense

Latest posts

Back