Virgin Media Email Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
Virgin Media have a major issue with their email service this week. Whilst I am now able to send and receive again, I do not have access to historic emails. They tell me I am one of the few that are affected in this way and will sort it by next week. Out of interest has anyone else been told they are ‘one of the few’?!

Always store your mails ( all your data ) on your own devices. Webmail ( of any sort / name ) is asking for trouble.
...and if not using Web-mail make sure that you are using POP3 rather than IMAP.

The downside is (there always is one ! ) using POP3 restricts you to one device and if that is a desktop PC it means that you can't access mail outside your 'home' environs.

...and if not using Web-mail make sure that you are using POP3 rather than IMAP.

The downside is (there always is one ! ) using POP3 restricts you to one device and if that is a desktop PC it means that you can't access mail outside your 'home' environs.
If using Thunderbird as a portable app on a USB key you can access mail from "wherever"*..even runs on Linux under Wine.
*and it leaves no trace on the machines that are "wherever"..go to somewhere ..deal with your mail on a machine laptop, Pc whatever..doesn't have to be yours ( bear in mind that "not yours" might be dangerous if windows "whatever" ) ..so make backups off key first.

or..best way..run a live linux ( mint xfce looks a lot like win 7 , for anyone coming from win ) with browser ( firefox ) Thunderbird and whatever other software you want on a USB key..plug in anywhere, ( into any PC, Laptop, which can be running any OS, even Mac ) boot from the key..do your work, get your mail , surf..whatever ..unmount key..all your data is on your key..no trace of anything on the machine you were using.The linux was running in the "host" machine's RAM ...Remove key..
Great for accessing your online banking and so on..Secure :cool:

Last edited:
I was told that I am one of the few too. That said, I switched my main email across to Goggle about 18 months ago as we were set to move house and would no longer be with VM. I understood that VM give 90 days after you pay your last bill to move all of your mail to a safe place. We moved a year ago and my VM mail is still active even though I don't actually use it.

Using pop3 rather than imap allows all mail to remain on the (Virgin’s) servers regardless of what you do with mail ( any message) via your email email client; whereas imap deletes a message from the server as soon as you delete that message via your imap client. imap reflects any change to a message status (i.e. deleted) on one on device across all imap enabled clients. Delete a message on device one and it’s deleted from all other devices.

You can have pop3 on every device you use to access mail, and none of them (ought not not) do anything to the mail still on the mail servers. Thus you by using pop3 you have form of online storage, somewhat similar to having a cloud storage area, and thus accessible from any device. Deleting a message on one device doesn’t remove it from other pop3 enabled devices/clients for that email account.

Using pop3 rather than imap allows all mail to remain on the (Virgin’s) servers regardless of what you do with mail ( any message) via your email email client; whereas imap deletes a message from the server as soon as you delete that message via your imap client. imap reflects any change to a message status (i.e. deleted) on one on device across all imap enabled clients. Delete a message on device one and it’s deleted from all other devices.

You can have pop3 on every device you use to access mail, and none of them (ought not not) do anything to the mail still on the mail servers. Thus you by using pop3 you have form of online storage, somewhat similar to having a cloud storage area, and thus accessible from any device. Deleting a message on one device doesn’t remove it from other pop3 enabled devices/clients for that email account.
Whilst that is basically true - in practice the usual setting in any POP3 client is to [Delete from server once downloaded] - I NEVER leave e-mail messages on any remote server.

The point about IMAP deleting on all devices is a red herring - - - using IMAP means that you have you messages held in only one place (just as POP3 does) so once that 'copy' is removed then of course none of the devices that could previously gain access can no longer do so. It hasn't been 'removed' from each device, it was never held on any 'device'.

the usual setting in any POP3 client is to [Delete from server once downloaded] - I NEVER leave e-mail messages on any remote server.
same settings..same philosophy..I run my own email server on a dedicated domain ( have hundreds of domains ) so have hundreds of emails, lets one know who got hacked and who sold the addy..run one computer here ( of 14 in the house ) just to watch incoming emails..have a virtual beer🍻

Back