Vintage Myford Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilspe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this Myford jointer ?
It's for sale local to me. Always drawn to the old-school cast iron machinery and need something small like this for the limited space I have.....
352865233_9810725152335317_5596609583357309243_n.jpg
359584593_7050378848325468_5137083943609476798_n.jpg

Yes I have one the same had it for many years, sometime's it might need the bearings replaced not too bad a job and you can tell once done, inside the blade block is a cavity that the grease goes hard in it needs cleaning out and a plug making to fit then when you grease it from both sides the grease goes in the bearings not stands in the cavity.

Edit: Extract from my write-up and image.

Next thing I stripped down the bearings and spindle, very simple job to do take out the grease nipple each end get a strip of metal drill a hole in it and poke a 0BA bolt through screw into bearing block and pull pot first remembering to undue the grub screws, found something interesting in the spindle when you take out the bearing blocks there is a baffle plate with a hole through to push out the opposite bearing case, the centre of the spindle is full of old hard grease when it was greased in the past the grease went through this hole and not much if any went into the bearings so will make up a bar to be a sliding fit inside the spindle so when you grease them the grease will come back into the bearings, (Myford never thought of that one) will replace with new bearings later, cleaned out the old grease from within the spindle put it into soak.

Then took off the two beds and started cleaning / rubbing down the main casting, day 2 cleaned the two beds and fence, the screws holding the two roller extensions need replacing rusted bad so will make new ones will also replace the spindle lock at the same time.

PR11 planer.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Phill. Seller is saying bearings and all are good.
Never owned a planer or thicknesser. Are blades available for the Myford ?
Asking price is £165.
I just detest buying the new chinese tat that's everywhere.

Thanks for the input Phill. Seller is saying bearings and all are good.
Never owned a planer or thicknesser. Are blades available for the Myford ?
Asking price is £165.
I just detest buying the new chinese tat that's everywhere.

There is a blade doctor lives about 20 mile away and I asked him if he could supply them he was able to re-cut some from another machine that was longer so I had two sets off him.

Price wise if it feels good to you go for it I would not hesitate they are a fantastic small planer and not much to go wrong built very strong and will last a few life times, a tip use a heat gun to warm up the beds and fence castings then rub in Briwax furniture polish and just top up now and again it will keep the cast nice and a smooth finish for the wood to slide on.

Back