Vintage drawing set. . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted for a long while, happy fettling with m&t joints and dodgy dovetails.

However a friend knowing I am more skilled than any other friends, ask if I could make a
pen box type case for them to replace an old drawing set.

here is an example of the type of thing they have and want a new version:
(They would like the inner lid lined with a certain fabric, lower like the pic velvet?).

draft_case.jpg

draft_Inside.jpg

However I'm not sure how to make it and the line it. . .

Make a shell for the top and bottom.
Line the top with the fabric.
Cut the shape for the inserts in the bottom and then line?
How the heck do I get the velvet to sit in the cutouts like that?
Covering the outside of the box?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Take it out of a single piece of cedar and never mind about the lining.

Or you can use a flat sheet underneath the cutouts if they go right through for some contrast.

Or you’re into flocking which seems to either be a great success or a total disaster with nothing in between.

Take it out of a single piece of cedar and never mind about the lining.

Or you can use a flat sheet underneath the cutouts if they go right through for some contrast.

Or you’re into flocking which seems to either be a great success or a total disaster with nothing in between.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they want to replicate the above style for someone who is retiring.

Hence the new box.

Looks like I may need to get into flocking then.

Looking at the box, it would seem that the box is not anything special.

Made of out two pieces, which are routed out.

Top side routed and lined with fabric.

Bottom routed out and block of wood inserted, cut to accommodate the compass, pens etc.

Then flocked???

Outside covered with dodgy leather stuff???

Thanks for the suggestion, but they want to replicate the above style for someone who is retiring.

Hence the new box.

Looks like I may need to get into flocking then.
If you wish to 'make a job' of it - avoid 'flocking' like the plague!

Buy the best Velvet you can find - difficult but available if you dig really deep - is 100% silk. The last I bought (for a pen box) cost me ~ £25 a Sq. Yd. but you will only need a 'Remnant'.

50% and 20% silk are easier to find - though I couldn't suggest anywhere in Kent - you will surely still have a local dressmaker's fabric shop somewhere close. In Coventry (½ hour from me) there is 'Tahar's' who have a presence in an area of predominantly Asian population but I had to look further afield for my 100% version.

There no partular problem in getting it to 'seat' in the grooves ( they'll only be about 5mm deep I assume) but it does take practice. Don't skimp on the amount you 'tuck under' and work from back to front gluing to top flat areas as you go. Doubling up by slicing the insert into strips may also help but without knowing exactly which instruments you have to incorporate it's impossible to advise effectively.

Hello,

I haven't posted for a long while, happy fettling with m&t joints and dodgy dovetails.

However a friend knowing I am more skilled than any other friends, ask if I could make a
pen box type case for them to replace an old drawing set.

here is an example of the type of thing they have and want a new version:
(They would like the inner lid lined with a certain fabric, lower like the pic velvet?).

View attachment 170963

View attachment 170964

However I'm not sure how to make it and the line it. . .

Make a shell for the top and bottom.
Line the top with the fabric.
Cut the shape for the inserts in the bottom and then line?
How the heck do I get the velvet to sit in the cutouts like that?
Covering the outside of the box?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
I have a very similar set. I inherited from my father who would have bought them very soon after WW2 when he started his studies for his Higher National Diploma's.

Colin
IMG_0935-1600.jpg
IMG_0936-1600.jpg

If the originals had it.

View attachment 170967

But this one is silk lined.

View attachment 170968

But the modern ones are plastic with poor foam inside.
SNAP! ..................I have the same set as your first one, except I have ivory handled, lining pens in the top compartment. I'm not sure if all my dividers and compasses are the originals , as some have different finials at the top.

I do , however have the small multi-tool that came with the set. this incorporates two screwdrivers, a pen-knife and two file surfaces, which I presume is for keeping the leads and points sharp.

Please let me introduce you to the multi talented Grace Horne.
One of her recent projects was a presentation scalpel in fitted, covered and lined box.
There's 2 or 3 parts to the videos but well worth signing up to Instagram for, for this alone.

Cheers, Andy

@J-G thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find regardj g 20,50 or 100% silk velvet.

Flocking looks tricly and ot the sort of thing they would have used orginally, hence the velvet.

Anyone have any idea what the outside of the case is covered in?

Cheers @toolsntat I'll havs a look.

I had to dig around and check that you hadn't taken my drawing set :D
(Not exactly identical in layout but near as damn it).

Mine was bought for me by my parents in the mid 70's when I started Technical Drawing lessons at school. It's stamped BB Berrick (Berrick Brothers I believe). I presume it was relatively low budget as my parents wouldn't be able to have afforded more.

The condition of my case is very similar. I'm not your commissioning client but I'd hate to lose the original box with an interior that is still OK. My case looks like a piece of solid wood with a cheap thin leatherette glued to it and i would just want to clean off the leatherette and re-cover it with a nicer material.

Sorry, none of this is of any help at all but thank you for a trip down memory lane 🤔

Drawing set.jpg

It does help.

I won't be going near the original, I'm making a replacment.

Leatherette sounds like it might be the best option 👍

Can you maybe make the lining process a bit easier by cutting the insert pieces out in several sections, velveting (is that a word?) them, but leaving some free space on the underside, then lining the bottom of the box, cutting away a few small areas that you can then glue the inserts to?
I am guess that this box will be more for display than everyday use?
(I made a medal case last year that needed velvet on the mounting block. No one ever sees the mounting block, so that was just a block of polystyrene with the velvet glued on. Sized it to be a slight interference fit with the case.)

Might be worth experimenting with shaped male forms to press the velvet fully home in the profiled cut outs. Looking at my old drawing sets, its amazing, just how intricate some of the cut outs are, and how crease free the velvet is,

Last edited:
That is a blast from the past, the days when 3D cad did not exist but those draughtsmen were really skilled working in smoke filled drawing rooms.
Been there, done that for the first 14 years of my working life. Still got all the kit and use it occasionally. Far more relaxing than trying to get to grips with CAD! :ROFLMAO:

Back