Viceroy TDS 6WL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Would anyone happen to know what size and the spindle threads are on a Viceroy TDS 6WL, my supanova chuck fits the spindle over the bed without any insert but the outboard end of the spindle is much smaller so I need an insert for my chuck before I can turn something a bit bigger :)

I've no idea at all Dick :? it must have been the same guy who decided use four or five different types of threads on all the nuts and bolts :lol:
I've yet to find a spanner or socket that fits any nuts or bolts, it's a pipper trying to get an adjustable spanner into a space that's only designed for a socket to access :? I do like a challenge :lol:

Dean":1bonozv2 said:
I've no idea at all Dick :? it must have been the same guy who decided use four or five different types of threads on all the nuts and bolts :lol:
I've yet to find a spanner or socket that fits any nuts or bolts, it's a pipper trying to get an adjustable spanner into a space that's only designed for a socket to access :? I do like a challenge :lol:

Dean is the left hand headstock thread also Left handed? Usually are for safety reasons to stop the faceplate/chuck etc. from automatically coming off whilst turning.

The thread sizes are usually smaller on the left hand end because of the design of the headstock shaft.

The bigger diameter (desirable thread) on the right hand side and its associated collars are bigger than the bearing bores, the left hand thread has to be small enough to pass through the bearings during assembly into the headstock.

Yes CHJ it's a left hand thread, I've been looking for an insert but found nothing :(

:idea: There's an old three jaw chuck that came with the lathe and a threaded face plate, with a bit of luck the threaded face plate may be a left handed back plate for the chuck :D

:? Back to the drawing board, still need an insert for a supernova
1 1/4" 9 TPI left handed thread if they exist, spent two hours searching on google without any joy, at least I have a face plate to work with until I can get something sorted :)

Dean":3m6lf46w said:
:? Back to the drawing board, still need an insert for a supernova
1 1/4" 9 TPI left handed thread if they exist, spent two hours searching on google without any joy, at least I have a face plate to work with until I can get something sorted :)

Dean as having an insert/exsert manufactured specific to the SN to fit your machine is going to be expensive and if you only have the one chuck also entail regular changing of inserts, not the best of practices.

I would suggest you look at chucks such as the axminsterwhich has a separate backplate, although not having your thread option as standard a request to axminster may bear fruit.

If axminster or the like supplier have blank backplates then it would be possible for a local engineering shop to machine the thread to match your faceplate, not a cheap option all round though.

If the left hand use is specifically to accommodate larger diameter pieces I would be tempted to stick with faceplate fixing, using suitable scrap blocks where appropriate and a combination jamb/donut chuck fixed to the faceplate for reverse turning.

CHJ, I've tried axminster but no joy there :( but I still have a couple of ideas, I've got two chucks, a supernova and an old three jawed chuck which has a back plate. I know a retired toolmaker/engineer who has a little workshop in his shed including a metalwork lathe :) I'll give him a visit, I agree that changing inserts is not good practice so I'll ask the old feller if he can make a new back plate with the correct thread for the old three jawed chuck, I think that's the best option, would you agree CHJ ?
But I'm still open to other options or as you say stick with face plate for larger bowls. :D

The new backplate is the best option if you can get it a mates rate, not easy to cut a thread that coarse on small workshop lathes because they often do not run slow enough, (I have to turn mine by hand at that pitch)

One alternate to the screw cutting problem is to get your mate to turn a dummy back disc for the chuck and a means of securing it to the faceplate with positive dowels/bolts so that it runs true.

CHJ":2dds1pwe said:
The new backplate is the best option if you can get it a mates rate, not easy to cut a thread that coarse on small workshop lathes because they often do not run slow enough, (I have to turn mine by hand at that pitch)

One alternate to the screw cutting problem is to get your mate to turn a dummy back disc for the chuck and a means of securing it to the faceplate with positive dowels/bolts so that it runs true.

The old chap still works one or two days a week so he'll have access to larger machines in the factory shop.
Thanks for your input CHJ :)

Just a random thought after reading the thread, any mileage in getting a new headstock spindle shaft made... with the same thread at each end?

Latest posts

Back