Viceroy - Good news, Bad news

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17340

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all; I'm posting to pick your collective brains. It's also my first attempt at posting pictures/

I picked up a Viceroy TDS 6 bowl turning lathe (or most of one) very cheaply. A chuck is out of the question just now so time to practice screw chuck and face plate work which I'm looking forward to. The 1 1/2 x 8 and 1 1/4 x 9 outboard threads will limit eventual choices.

Now the brain work. It looks old; never seen the sloping base anywhere else. any ideas how old?
There is no toolrest base on the outboard side - do these ever show up?
I'm missing the tool post securing screw - it came with a 4 inch bolt with the right thread. Spares?
The tool rest base has a cruciform cutout - looks like another type of rest has been used. Any ideas?

I also got a supply of dingy wood blanks. Very dense so I turned on round and cleaned off the base. Could it be dense mahogany or even teak? It's heavier than oak but not smooth or oily like some rosewoods. Suggestions.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Attachments

• Viceroy Bundle.jpg
    Viceroy Bundle.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,918
  • Viceroy old.jpg
    Viceroy old.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 1,917
  • Viceroy cutout.jpg
    Viceroy cutout.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,917
  • Blank blank.jpg
    Blank blank.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,915
Thanks all,
Phil.p - I'll post a finished bowl soon - heavy and pale so could be iroko.
YewTube - thanks for the handbook link.
Renderer01 - I'll email the link you sent re spares. Fife unchanged since you left - still needs a woodturning club nearer than Tayside.

Mike

Iroko has a very distinctive smell to the dust, it's an irritant and makes you feel like coughing pretty quickly (not suggesting you start breathing it in, but the smell is pretty obvious even when turning)

Teak will blunt even high speed steel tools really quickly and has an oily but pleasant smell.

Mahogany can smell either spicy or like chocolate.

I mention smells as it is often overlooked as an identifying feature of different timbers, yet many of them have very distinctive aromas especially when they are being worked and sanded. You should of course have on some form of protection against dust when sanding, but the smells are still very noticeable when turning.

You blank above looks very much like Iroko.

I think Afromosia is a good call. The colour looks right and it really blunts the tools. No ovbious oder - good or bad but dust protection always anyway.
I went all geeky and weighed and measured one of the remaining blanks. 8 1/2 inch square x 3 1/2 deep weighs just over 3 kg. This gave a cubic meter weight of 757 kg - about the right range for your suggestion.
Back to sharpening....
Mike

Latest posts

Back