Headstock thread adaptor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trefor

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a Coronet Elf lathe with a 3/4" 16tpi thread.

I have acquired a used 3.75" chuck with no indication of the manufacture's name. It has a standard M33 thread and an M33 3.5 to 1" 8 tpi adaptor. So I'm looking for adaptor so that it will fit my 3/4" headstock.

The start of the thread in the M33 chuck is resessed in by about 18mm. I have found an M33 to 3/4" adaptor on the internet, which only has a M33 thread length of 22.5mm then a has "nut", so only going to engage the thread in the chuck by a few mm, which isn't at all good.

Is it possible to buy an adaptor with a longer thread?

Is there a 1" 8tpi to 3/4" 16tpi adaptor or is running with 2 adaptors not recommended?

Any other ideas?

Give up and buy a chuck with the correct thread?

Thanks Trefor

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_174143_804~2.jpg
    IMG_20230126_174143_804~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230126_174114_953~2.jpg
    IMG_20230126_174114_953~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230126-182838~2.png
    Screenshot_20230126-182838~2.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 0
The recessed part of the M33 thread is known as a 'register'.

Hacksaw it off just a little above the first thread. Then the hex adaptor will fit.

Shorten the register to the same dimension as above, but using a slightly more civilised method of someone else's metal lathe.

Removing it will reduce the overhang of the chuck from the spindle and increase rigidity.

What diameter is the register?

Chop the corners of the hexagon adaptor off and reduce the A/F dimension so it fits within the register. That will increase the thread engagement. This could be done with it mounted to your own lathe using a coarse file. You would need to check that the back of the chuck does not hit the headstock.

The recessed part of the M33 thread is known as a 'register'.

Hacksaw it off just a little above the first thread. Then the hex adaptor will fit.

Shorten the register to the same dimension as above, but using a slightly more civilised method of someone else's metal lathe.

Removing it will reduce the overhang of the chuck from the spindle and increase rigidity.

What diameter is the register?

Chop the corners of the hexagon adaptor off and reduce the A/F dimension so it fits within the register. That will increase the thread engagement. This could be done with it mounted to your own lathe using a coarse file. You would need to check that the back of the chuck does not hit the headstock.

Back