Vice advice (baby)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memzey":1gtdb1n3 said:
I wish my bench build thread hadn’t been photobucketed as I had all the steps set out with pictures. I may have even recorded the time it took to do. I’ll have to re-host my images at some point but it seems such a faff I can’t face it right now!

If you use dropbox you can replace the dl=0 with raw=1 on the url they provide and it'll work here too.

Since I think nobody else did let me be the one to recommend having a look on Gumtree if you want to buy a vintage vice and not overpay for it. Just the other day a good old Record was put up for only £15. It was in need of TLC as you'd expect, but nothing you couldn't tackle in a single evening with the right motivation :)

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm just received the Paramo #50 with quick release purchased from David ( https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/paramo-no-50-quick-release-vice-t110537.html ) - just needs a little tidying up, not much and I'll fit it. Couple of questions with fitting... I'm left handed so I was going to attach to the left sid of the bench (standing at the short edge of the bench looking down the length). does that make sense? If so, where along that length is best? I thought near one of the legs and, if standing in front (beside the longest edge) it would go on the leg to my right. Again, make sense? Are there better places I should put it for reasons I do not yet understand?

Would also appreciate fitting it solo, it's heavy (9kg)and flipping the slab is going to be a major task in itself - I'd rather not do it if possible. Pre-drill the holes slightly smaller than the lag bolts?

Facing the long edge, most lefties would put it in the right side.
Vices tend to go just inside the leg, mostly, although it depends on how big your bench is, I suppose. Either way, you want it close to the leg.

Thanks guys...

Good thread that David, thanks!

Edit: Temporarily installed will remove and spruce up a little soon(ish) - and I have to agree with paulm OP of that thread "Then using the single most useful tip ever" .. was struggling to do the balancing act then I remembered it. Took less than 5 minutes to install. Just needs some wooden jaws now...

vice.png

Back