Veritas PMV-II Plane Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbo":1d6f0oeo said:
I would rather take the word of professionals who have actual experience of them than a person who seems to have it for any forms of new technology?
1 I am a professional.
2 I have it in for woodworker fashions and enthusiasms which often don't benefit anybody except tool dealers, PMV-II being a good example as it has been around for a bit, nobody has anything interesting to say about it* but it's selling (like hot cakes?). How many plane blades do you need in a lifetime? one per plane will see most people out.

PS except woodbloke, but he's disappeared?

A PMV-11 iron costs roughly £40 more than a standard one. For a professional working on an hourly rate of £20 (and I suspect that's low for most pros), you need the iron to save you 2 hours work for it to cover it's extra cost. If it does twice as much work between sharpenings, that halves the sharpening down-time. If one sharpen takes 2 minutes (for the whole job, planing wood to planing wood) that's 60 sharpenings. So if it saves a pro one and a bit stops for sharpening per handplane per week, it'll pay for itself in 12 months. Worth it? On hard-headed economics, yes.

For an amateur, it's more down to personal choice. If you feel the first cost is worth it, why not? If you're happy with what you've got already, pass on it.

Perhaps someone should compare PMV to the HSS blades. I have a couple of the cheap Chinese blades and whilst they do take longer to get sharp (more stropping) they also retain their edge quite a bit longer than 01. They are also considerably cheaper.
BTW I wasn't knocking A2 blades. I just haven't found them to be any better than my good old carbon blades.

Jacob":1lodk11z said:
Am impressed by the way you hang on my every word BB - I can't remember these things half as well as you.

My memory does appear to be better than yours. And I do take pleasure in proving your unpleasant and insincere habit of saying whatever's counter to everybody else in a thread, even when that means you contradict yourself.

BugBear

bugbear":14gvsxk1 said:
Jacob":14gvsxk1 said:
Am impressed by the way you hang on my every word BB - I can't remember these things half as well as you.

My memory does appear to be better than yours. And I do take pleasure in proving your unpleasant and insincere habit of saying whatever's counter to everybody else in a thread, even when that means you contradict yourself.

BugBear

Take your pleasure elsewhere or find something else to do BB, please. Use the ignore function, learn not to read posts that upset you or just ignore them. Or just pretend you like Jacob but please do something more useful than this petty primary school nonsense.
Yes, we all know Jacob can be a right PIA at times as many others can be too (without naming names), but it's an internet forum, it's dead easy to avoid each other.

I've been using a PMV iron in a Veritas block plane for a couple of months.

It's certainly easy to sharpen (it gets sharpened alongside A2 tools on diamond and waterstones, with grinding on a Tormek fitted with a Blackstone Silicone wheel) and there's no difference that I can notice versus A2 in ease of sharpening.

Does it hold an edge longer than A2? I'm afraid I'm not methodical enough in my use to really measure that. It seems to hold up very well indeed, still giving polished end grain cuts even after a full day's use, but that's hardly a scientific assessment!

On balance I'm not sure I'll buy any more PMV plane irons, not because of any shortcoming in the steel but just because super long life doesn't fit particularly well into my style of sharpening and working wood. I tend to have multiple irons for my most commonly used tools, and I'll swap them out regularly during a project, then two or three times a week I'll dedicate an hour to sharpening all the used plane blades (usually when there's something good on the radio). So in that regime I'm discarding irons relatively early. The exception is chisels, where I touch them up every few minutes so PMV chisels may make more sense to me than PMV plane irons.

Unfortunately these blade as replacement for the stanley type planes are
only 2.5mm(0.1inch) thick.

LV should provide us with an option for 3 mm thick replacement blades. Those
could fit nicely in LN and the Qiangsheng planes. Heck I would even want a 4-5mm
thick plane blade which would result in not needing a chip breaker at all.

AndyT raised the sensible questions, in that it depends very much on what you do, amateur/professional, and what sort of work you do. CC did an excellent economic appraisal, if you are professional, but I query whether if you are involved in site work, or your preferred method of finish is an ROS, the extra cost is worthwhile.
Have a look at a recent article on line from Konrad Sauer (Sauer and Steiner) who reviewed PMV-II blades he had made for him by Veritas. He seems to be impressed, but he is at the very top end of plane making, and I suspect that that Veritas were concerned that he received the very best. No slur on Veritas intended, but there can be a difference between one offs and production quality, whoever makes the blade.
Mike

Ive got 3 pieces of PMVIII metal - 2 are in Veritas butt chisels and one in a small Veritas bevel up plane
I got the plane blade to see what they were like and on that basis, got the 2 butt chisels (2" and 1/2") as I liked it. I think they are fantastic - I keep them honed to 27 degrees and they retain an edge, IMHO for much longer than other chisels I have used. Just my happenyworth
Mark

Oh boy, maybe one of these days we'll never have to hone again. I've personally not yet met the physical specimen who planes for hours on end without stopping or needing a break and can put these super steels through their paces.

Honing puts the rhythm into the workday. It's like a whole note rest in a piece of music.

I don't like not knowing the status of a plane iron. If I haven't used it in days it is going to get touched up, regardless, before I put it to wood. Even if it feels sharp. Anything else is folly and putting project stock at risk. It's worth the minute it takes.

What I read was one of the best testimonials for O1 steel that I've seen in quite some time, assuming one isn't afraid of having to visit the sharpening bench from time to time. I do appreciate the fact that O1 is his benchmark. It should be.

I guess if I bought a replacement plane iron in PMVII, what are these 50 bucks or so (?), then I'm going to need a minimum of a few hundred dollars' worth of new honing stones to go with? Shaptons or something of that order?

I think I'll pass, as gauche as this may be.

bugbear":1aqzjl06 said:
Jacob":1aqzjl06 said:

BugBear
This thread reminds me yet again of what a poisonous little dwarf we have in our midst!

It's obvious that the new blades are pointless - the only enthusiasts are tool makers and sharpening enthusiasts.
Innovation- centric is the term.
Sharpening enthusiasts do have a problem - having invested so much time , effort and money into sharpening, they want something in return - ideally something which doesn't go blunt. :lol: :roll:
Not a problem for trad sharpeners of course.

Jacob":3buif8ei said:
bugbear":3buif8ei said:
Jacob":3buif8ei said:

BugBear
This thread reminds me yet again of what a poisonous little dwarf we have in our midst!

It's obvious that the new blades are pointless - the only enthusiasts are tool makers and sharpening enthusiasts.
Innovation- centric is the term.
Sharpening enthusiasts do have a problem - having invested so much time , effort and money into sharpening, they want something in return - ideally something which doesn't go blunt. :lol: :roll:
Not a problem for trad sharpeners of course.

It does seem rather odd that those with the most extensive sharpening kit are often the ones most enthusiastic about steel that needs to be sharpened less.

Can you blame them! The hours they spend frotting away with ever finer grits and pastes. :roll:

Aaaarrrrrggggg progress!!!!!!! where is my loom smashing hammer!

:shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :D :D

Pete

Longer time sharp = less effort pushing, think about it!

Racers":1pb9ujt4 said:
Aaaarrrrrggggg progress!!!!!!! where is my loom smashing hammer!

:shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :D :D

Pete

Longer time sharp = less effort pushing, think about it!

Pretty contorted logic to invoke the Luddites in a thread about cutters for hand planes.

Because if progress was the issue they'd be at it with power planers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back