Veritas PMV-II Plane Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, as I have never used one, and as such can't recommend or warn you off them.

Pete

Like Pete said.
But how can anyone give you a sensible answer, when we don't know:

How flush with cash / hard up are you?
How much planing do you do?
How much is your time worth?

As with so many things, there is a choice of different products at different prices. What is right for one person won't suit another.

You could ask Woodbloke (caveat emptor) as he was an enthusiast. He seems to have gone to ground but I'm sure it won't be forever.

AndyT":1ny0n5hj said:
Like Pete said.

As the blades have been out a few months I wondered if someone, might, now know.

iNewbie":2tp8uorf said:
AndyT":2tp8uorf said:
Like Pete said.

As the blades have been out a few months I wondered if someone, might, now know.
I'm pretty sure the answer would be no they aren't worth the extra money. What's it going to do that'd be so different from any other blade? sharpen itself? make a cup of tea? I think we would all know by now!

The edge supposedly last a lot longer. Longer times between our beloved task of sharpening. Personally I'm NOT going to bother. I have numerous blades in old fashioned Carbon Steel. I even bought A2 , which really didn't live up to the hype.

I don't know what the A2 hype was exactly but I must say it doesn't seem to be a problem and for some reason it's easy to bring back a sharp edge when it's getting a bit tired. I thought it would be difficult and require crazy sharpening techniques but no it's fine on a mucky old bit of oilstone!
I'e got 3 bits - one Hock blade in an old 4, one in a new Stanley SW4 and one on the LV LA BU smoother.

Jacob":1bg8337j said:
I don't know what the A2 hype was exactly but I must say it doesn't seem to be a problem and for some reason it's easy to bring back a sharp edge when it's getting a bit tired. I thought it would be difficult and require crazy sharpening techniques but no it's fine on a mucky old bit of oilstone!
I'e got 3 bits - one Hock blade in an old 4, one in a new Stanley SW4 and one on the LV LA BU smoother.

mr grimsdale":1bg8337j said:
Chems":1bg8337j said:
Just briefly whats the Pros and Cons of O2 vs A2?
A2 is problematic and best avoided.

I think Jacob and mrgrimsdale should have a debate, somewhere.

BugBear

bugbear":3k19ipw8 said:
Jacob":3k19ipw8 said:

mr grimsdale":3k19ipw8 said:
Chems":3k19ipw8 said:

BugBear

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now what was I saying :wink:

I reviewed the Veritas 01 chisels for Nick Gibbs and they came out very well, one of my full time students bought some 01 from us and is now a Veritas convert. I have a couple and more will be creeping into my kit as time goes by.

I have added the PMV11 to the website and have been playing with one for a couple of weeks but not long enough to make a truly informed review. I Know that Richard Maguire was very happy with the PMV11 in his LA Jack
http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=816

Richard will be demonstrating at our Open Day again this year I am sure by then we will both a given the PMV11 more of a testing.
I know WH Matt sharpened a PMV11 at the sharpening event on Saturday for someone but I am not sure who :oops:

Having spoken to some folks who have examples of the steel at the Sharpening Event - they rate them highly especially for keeping an edge for a very long time.
I would rather take the word of professionals who have actual experience of them than a person who seems to have it for any forms of new technology?

For that sort of money you could buy the kit and the steel to make yourself a blade with pretty much any characteristics you wanted. Or buy a sensibly priced blade and a load of wood to use it on. There are lots of people who will teach you to make a blade, Ron for one http://www.hocktools.com/toolsteel.htm.

bugbear":2p8igy7r said:
Jacob":2p8igy7r said:

mr grimsdale":2p8igy7r said:
Chems":2p8igy7r said:

BugBear
Exactly what I am doing. First thoughts based on what everybody else seemed to be saying, second thoughts based on a bit of experience. I might change my mind again!

Am impressed by the way you hang on my every word BB - I can't remember these things half as well as you.

Jiminy-Cricket-wallpaper.png

Doug also remarked on it earlier today:
Doug B":2p8igy7r said:
Now what was I saying :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back