Veritas PMV-II Plane Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob":wtzxscp3 said:
Because if progress was the issue they'd be at it with power planers.

True, and most people have a blended operation any way. If they get a little tired or don't want to rip fifteen feet of tough material or thickness fifty board feet of some gnarly tropical species a switch gets flipped. Hand planing for the vast majority of folks just means cleaning up machine marks, their internet personae notwithstanding. This takes surprisingly little kit and certainly doesn't require an investment in replacement cutters for a large selection of hand planes in an effort to theoretically reduce honing time.

It's a fad, like swallowing a tapeworm to lose weight.

Right! Let me think.

I have two standard block Planes, an Apron Plane. A No. 4 , No. 4.5, No, 5, No. 5.5 and a No. 6.
I have a lot more but those are good to be getting on with. At around £50 per replacement blade it works out to £400.
With £400 I can buy 3,568 old woodies with mighty fine old Sheffield blades, complete with free chipbreakers!
I'll skip the PMV-1867 MkVIII, thanks.

Mignal

Why do you need 3568 woodies?

:lol: I cold not resist. It is so predictable that so much cr@p gets written by the predictable few.

Regards from Perth

Derek

phil.p":3qrsird2 said:
"What a poisonous little dwarf we have in our midst"
This from the Jacob who never insults anyone personally. :?
No I don't as a rule, but he is particularly persistent in the snide comments and personal insults.
I'd ban him.
I've never called for anybody to be banned either (no doubt the troll will correct me on that! :lol: )

CStanford":1bguhn6f said:
Mignal

:lol: I cold not resist. It is so predictable that so much cr@p gets written by the predictable few.

Regards from Perth

Derek

And I take it that you believe your point(s) of view aren't totally predictable?

About as predictable as your presence on this forum, Charlie me dear. :roll:

Regards from Perth

Derek

CStanford":3drzgqec said:
Mignal

Regards from Perth

Derek

And I take it that you believe your point(s) of view aren't totally predictable?

About as predictable as your presence on this forum, Charlie me dear. :roll:

Regards from Perth

Derek

"Buy everything in sight. It'll all sort itself out later." You have my permission to use that as your internet signature.

G'day =D>

I have never commented on this before - but I find it quite astonishing how quickly every thread about sharpening, bar none, descend into name-calling and abuse. THE OP asked for an opinion on PMVIII blades - as far as I can see only 2 people who have responded have actually used PMVIII - the rest have mostly been increasingly-strident 'opinions' on whether the money is worth it. It saddens me as this forum is amazing in so many respects but one can see why many people have left because of this aspect. Sorry I think I have been on here long enough to say that
Regards Mark

Mark, you are right and, unfortunately, it has become too frequent of late.

I am all for debate, but with reasoned arguments, not the bigoted pronouncements made here.

For reference, I was one of the pre-production team that tested many steels for Lee Valley. These were tested blind (just numbers identifying the steels). Eventually PM-V11 rose to the top. I compared it with A2 and O1 and it was in a class of its own. My conclusions concurred with the results Lee Valley wrote up: PM-V11 will offer double the life of A2, which in turn offers about 3 times the life of O1. Those that argue that A2 does not obtain the fine edge of O1 are out of material with PMV-11 steel since by its very manufacturing method (powdered metal), the grain structure is in a class of its own. Finer and better grain. All this has been supported one more time by Konrad Sauer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark, you are right and, unfortunately, it has become too frequent of late.

I am all for debate, but with reasoned arguments, not the bigoted pronouncements made here.

For reference, I was one of the pre-production team that tested many steels for Lee Valley. These were tested blind (just numbers identifying the steels). Eventually PM-V11 rose to the top. I compared it with A2 and O1 and it was in a class of its own. My conclusions concurred with the results Lee Valley wrote up: PM-V11 will offer double the life of A2, which in turn offers about 3 times the life of O1. Those that argue that A2 does not obtain the fine edge of O1 are out of material with PMV-11 steel since by its very manufacturing method (powdered metal), the grain structure is in a class of its own. Finer and better grain. All this has been supported one more time by Konrad Sauer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bigoted is an interesting term to have used.

gasman":3ugqsqnm said:
I have never commented on this before - but I find it quite astonishing how quickly every thread about sharpening, bar none, descend into name-calling and abuse. THE OP asked for an opinion on PMVIII blades - as far as I can see only 2 people who have responded have actually used PMVIII - the rest have mostly been increasingly-strident 'opinions' on whether the money is worth it. It saddens me as this forum is amazing in so many respects but one can see why many people have left because of this aspect. Sorry I think I have been on here long enough to say that
Regards Mark
Well I agree.
But a certain level of disagreement should be possible without falling out. I've been disagreeing with Derek for years without exchanging a cross word!
The trouble is " a certain troll" makes a point of being really quite unpleasant, over and over again. He's obviously got a problem* and he spoils it for everybody else.

*personality problem; lack of one. Hey I could get into being insulting too!

PS and I don't think many people have left because of it - quite the opposite, this seems to be the busiest WW forum around and growing by the day. A healthy level of disagreement is a good thing - there's a big emphasis from some quarters to press a party line, which should be resisted.

Derek do you know if LV will make these replacement blades for stanley thicker or offer
an option for thicker blades?

I wish LV would make these blades like laminated japanese blades. Just glue the softer
iron on the pmv11. This way we could use thick blades that are very easy to sharpen.

Hi ali

The PMV-11 Stanley replacement blade is roughly between the Stanley and LN in thickness:

MoreAboutShootingPlanesandTheirBlades_html_m589485d2.jpg

Above, from left to right: Smoothcut, LV, LN.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... lades.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

ali27":2pomzw90 said:
Derek do you know if LV will make these replacement blades for stanley thicker or offer
an option for thicker blades?

I wish LV would make these blades like laminated japanese blades. Just glue the softer
iron on the pmv11. This way we could use thick blades that are very easy to sharpen.

If you really wanted a slightly thicker iron with a PMV-11 cutting edge, you could make your own 'laminated' iron by taking a factory blade and gluing a piece of mild steel sheet to the back. Mild steel sheet can be obtained in a huge range of thicknesses, so you can easily choose your own finished thickness. Use an engineering adhesive such as one of those by Loctite, degrease thoroughly before gluing, and trim the mild steel back to the blade profile after the glue has cured by filing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother; but it could be done.

Noel":25mley6v said:
bugbear":25mley6v said:
Jacob":25mley6v said:
Am impressed by the way you hang on my every word BB - I can't remember these things half as well as you.

My memory does appear to be better than yours. And I do take pleasure in proving your unpleasant and insincere habit of saying whatever's counter to everybody else in a thread, even when that means you contradict yourself.

BugBear

Take your pleasure elsewhere or find something else to do BB, please. Use the ignore function, learn not to read posts that upset you or just ignore them. Or just pretend you like Jacob but please do something more useful than this petty primary school nonsense.
Yes, we all know Jacob can be a right PIA at times as many others can be too (without naming names), but it's an internet forum, it's dead easy to avoid each other.

Sorry for OT:

Why doesn't Jacob get the same wigging for giving completly unsubstantiell answers to a newbie? I think Paul is very helpful in debunk J.'s nature by this quotes. That part should be a signature for every single entry of J.

He sounds like he know the PM-V11, but he doesn't. And he don't care what he says at all.

BTW. The ignore function just doesn't work at a troll, who frequent a thread like J. does. You just don't get anything.

BTT

The PM-V11 is better and I won't buy a new Veritas without, but I don't go to replace my old blades.

Cheers
Pedder

During the last "LV free shipping" event, I ordered a PM-V11 blade for my Bailey #7 and for my 60-1/2 (I've got expendable cash, so it was a toss up between splurging on my hobbyist toys, trying the new Knobs Creek rye, or leaving a bit more for the kids to argue about). I did not upgrade any stones though, sticking with my oilstones and a selection of Spyderco's.

I'm just a hamfisted amateur so maybe I don't have the needed refined tastes to permit me to discern the sharpening nuances between this new material or A2, but, in all honesty, it was not bad at all to get it hair popping sharp without a change of sharpening methods. Did it take shorter or longer? Don't ask me! Sometimes I can work on an O1 blade for hours and it's duller than when I began. Other times, I can take a piece of A2 and get it razor sharp in a millisecond. Guess it all depends upon how I hold my tongue.

I'm most interested in how the new material lasts in my block plane, as it it the tool that gets the most abuse (and most varied abuse). Will my perception of "lasting" have any validity here? Hail no! When in the shop and I hit a snag in a project, I let the smoke in my head clear by doing mundane tasks, such as pulling a blade and honing it!

I'd love to understand, with as much specificity as somebody can muster, exactly what a little extra time between honings does for their woodworking or their lives, in general, since it seems like such a big deal to hone a couple times less per day than the average bloke.

One of the problems with these sorts of things are the participants who gush with the arrival on the market of every single new thing having to do with woodworking. It's hard to be taken seriously when, over the years, every new "thing" that comes out is the neatest thing since sliced bread and one's upgrade path is essentially to infinity.

Well that's the obvious next step. Buy the new PMV -11 now and get hit with the new thicker version in a couple of years time - the current offering is a bit thin. Someone has already complained! Two years after that will be the new, new PMV-III. First in thin, then in thick again! :D
I jumped off the ride a few years ago but if you still wish to jump on, what can I say? Enjoy it while it lasts, if you'll forgive the expression.

CStanford":2ivytw4j said:
I'd love to understand, with as much specificity as somebody can muster, exactly what a little extra time between honings does for their woodworking or their lives, in general, since it seems like such a big deal to hone a couple times less per day than the average bloke.

One of the problems with these sorts of things are the participants who gush with the arrival on the market of every single new thing having to do with woodworking. It's hard to be taken seriously when, over the years, every new "thing" that comes out is the neatest thing since sliced bread and one's upgrade path is essentially to infinity.

Hello,

I suppose you are right, if it wasn't for Leonard Bailey making his mass producible plane pattern and almost everyone buying into that type of tool, wholesale, then we would still be having to put up with those anoying Norris infills and wooden, yes wooden planes with those interminable laminated steel blades. Progress, sometimes you win sometimes not. :twisted:

Mike.

CStanford":70sviwei said:

To respond to your first paragraph, probably not very much, but as far as spending your cash, whether hard earned or not, it is an individual's own decision. I could go sit at a bar/pub every afternoon/evening, but I don't. My vices are many, ranging from accumulations of books, Military & veteran memorabilia and tools (many vises).

My woodworking and implements to pursue it, are for my enjoyment. If I would have to adhere to a specific formula stating that to be a woodworking hobbyist would require me to walk and act as if I had a perpetual splinter in my sphincter, me thinks I would pursue some other hobby with less rigid requirements, such as becoming a politician.

Now, I'm wondering how long it will be before we see something akin to an O1 blade with PM-V11 sprayformed to one side or the other, giving us a modern bi-metal blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back