Veritas PMV-II Plane Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob":2fu6a2r3 said:
bugbear":2fu6a2r3 said:
.....We have:

A) The effort required for a cut depends purely on the length of the cut.

We also have

B) The shape of cut that removes most material for a given effort is a semi-circle.

This follows nicely from (A) and was first proved by Archimedes. Very basic,
well established maths.
Oh you have got it!! Well done!!! Though I doubt it was proved by Archimedes.

I got it first time; it's obvious. Google "isoperimetric" ; the greeks were all over this one.

But we also have

C) Factors other than the length of the cut effect the effort required.

If you bother to read what I wrote I said "in theory" and "it's not quite that simple" etc etc
But it does account for why a scrub plane removes more material faster for a given effort.

Maybe you have misunderstood what I meant by length of cut - I meant the length of the cutting edge.

No misunderstanding; that is the only interpretation where (B) makes any sense at all.

So a flat 1" chisel will require a similar effort to remove a thin flat shaving, as the same chisel bent into a gouge ploughing much more material from a semi circular trough. Not quite that simple - as I keep repeating, but approximately true in principle or theory.

Well, no. The distinction is expressed as clearly as I can in (A) and (C). If (A) is true, your theory holds. If (A) is false, your theory is not even true "in theory", let alone practice. In your 1" chisel example common workshop experience tells us that a 1" chisel taking a 1 thou shaving will require far less effort than your 1" gouge, so effort is overwhelmingly effected by factors other than length of cut. You can't just skate over this by saying "in theory".

If (for realistic example) depth of cut were to effect the effort required, it would follow ("in theory") that a shallower curve than a semi circle would be better, and this theory is a much better fit with reality. In this case, the maths to work out the exact optimal curve is rather complex, and even then, we'd still be assuming a homogenous workpiece, not wood with grain.

BugBear

Jacob":23qjmqor said:
Grow up a bit!

Pot, Kettle, eh?

If you don't want to know what people think you should do, you shouldn't ask questions in the first place, eh?

And my question was regarding PMV steel was : "Worth the extra - thoughts?"

I was looking for knowledgable info from people with experience, not some self-appointed internet ahswipe with a big mouth behind a keyboard.

Nowhere did I ask for you opinion regarding your usual santiMOANious soapbox-butlah-lah-land, schtick, on sharpeing and purchases.

Walk your own walk before advising others, eh?

Too many personal insults, especially the last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back