Veritas Dovetail Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whey it turned up today on a Suday of all days! What a piece of kit. Much heavier than I thought it would be. Very comfortable in the hand though. It's a Christmas present so I won't get to use it till then :cry: but at least it turned up. I thought there was a chance it might not :D

This is really stupid of me - and I know I'm going to reproach myself for it if I get one - but I'm seriously thinking of it. I don't need it - I've already got a L-N and a custom-made Wenzloff - but I'm just nuts about hand-cut dovetaisl and about Veritas tools (with a few noted exceptsions! :lol: ) So I don't fancy my chances of holding out for very long. :(
Just one question: what about the weight of the spine? Both my current dovetail saws (LN and Wenzloff) have solid brass backs - machined, not folded over - and I'm just wondering whether whatever it is the Veritas uses will have the same value in pushing the saw downwards. It's a bit of a mantra o fmine - I push the saw forward, but it's the weight that pushes it downward, and that gives control.
Please, someone tell me it's too light and the spine is no substitute for brass - anything to put me of buying one!! :lol: :lol:

H
Sorry to say, I found it to be slightly heavier than the L-N saw. It is also balanced very neutrally - the L-N saw seemed to be toe heavy.
You know you want one..... :wink:
Philly :D

Philly":2ejatj5r said:
H
Sorry to say, I found it to be slightly heavier than the L-N saw. It is also balanced very neutrally - the L-N saw seemed to be toe heavy.
You know you want one..... :wink:
Philly :D
Oh, thanks a bunch! :lol: I'll tell my bank manager you twisted my arm. :lol: :lol:

Checked on a site in the US and the Veritas is the heaviest saw in its class at 12oz. The LN weighs in at 11. Its substantially meatier than I thought it would be. Very rigid indeed. I'll be posting at Christmas for advise on cutting them properly. I also ordered a Veritas dovetail merker set, marker, cabines scrapers and holder etc. All new territory for me.

So I've been a bit naughty and sneaked into the garage to make a test cut. Very nice. I can see I'm going to get along with this saw. One thing to note is that the kerf is so thin, a coping saw blade only just fits in the gap. It therefore wont turn at the bottom to join the cuts up. What do other people do, use a fret saw?

I liked it seems great value for money. One thing I did notice was the quality of the finish, did a v cut in some oak and the sides were very smooth. great saw, love the styling.

newt":2mjl8kzx said:
One thing I did notice was the quality of the finish, did a v cut in some oak and the sides were very smooth. great saw.

What I found interesting, Pete, was that the saw is rip cut but, when we tried some cuts across the grain, the quality of the cut was just as good. Very impressive performance.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

newt":3ocxlja7 said:
I liked it seems great value for money. One thing I did notice was the quality of the finish, did a v cut in some oak and the sides were very smooth. great saw, love the styling.
Agree with Pete...I did the same test on Sunday night and was very impressed. Veritas also supply a plan in the info for users to make their own custom handle if needed. One thing that may not be generally known is that should the back become accidentally bent then it ought to be able to be straightened by a competent saw doc...trouble is, you gotta find one first of all :) - Rob

Paul on some of the close up pics there seems to be a hint of some fleam, which may explain why it was good across grain.

Finished last night. :D A full write up to follow in due course.

dt10sm.jpg

Steve

PS. this one isn't photoshop trickery :wink:

I might be a novice to the forum but persuaded the Mrs it would be a great xmas present, arrived yesterday and must say I’m not disappointed.

Easy on the hand and cut quickly and no fuss, not in the same league as my old saw and others tried, highly recommended.

P.S. I would be grateful if you bump into the Mrs not to mention the minor transgression of stealing it out of the box before she wrapped it :roll:

please!!!

Back