Veritas Dovetail Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Veritas Dovetail Saw
Hi Folks
While at the WIA show last week, Veritas were displaying a new saw. It was rather a shock when I first saw it – a rather unconventional saw! Rob Lee was kind enough to give me one as a gift (maybe to make up for giving me a sneak look at another new tool-see separate review!) and I thought I’d share my thoughts in a little review.
saw8.jpg

The saw is rather different to any other I have ever seen – yes, I’ve seen saws with plastic handles but never a plastic spine. The spine is made from stainless steel powder, glass fibre and resin – the back is actually moulded onto the saw blade and handle mounting bolt. The handle is a conventional Bubinga handle.
saw6.jpg

saw5.jpg

So the first impression is quite something – most people I spoke to at the show hated the look of the thing. Luckily, a bench was available with some scrap wood to take test cuts – and that’s where the story changes. The saw cuts very, very nicely. The handle is very comfortable and natural and the saw is well balanced. I looked forward to testing the saw properly back at the workshop.
saw7.jpg

saw4.jpg

saw3.jpg

As a comparison I am using my trusty Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw. I have owned (and used) this for a good few years and feel comfortable with it. First test cuts were taken in some 12mm thick black walnut. The Veritas saw started easily, cut fast and tracked straight. Very impressive. I took the same cuts using my L-N. The Veritas cut a little faster (the Veritas is 14tpi, the L-N 15, so no surprise why.) The L-N made a slightly coarser cut – there was a slightly ragged edge visible. And when viewing the cuts from the rear this is all the more evident.
I then repeated these cuts on some 19mm thick black walnut. I was impressed with the way the Veritas cut – it seemed to track truer than my L-N. May be time to stone a little more set off my L-N…..

saw2.jpg

Once you spend some time using the Veritas saw the look doesn’t seem to jar as much. After a week I now look at the saw and think “If Batman used a dovetail saw it would be this one!” . The saw is very comfortable to hold and the balance is just right. It also cuts very well and is seriously sharp.
saw1.jpg

This saw is priced at $65 in the US – I’m not sure what the UK price will be, but this is a small amount of cash for a saw that performs as well as any I’ve tried. And I’ve used (and own) saws by all the main manufacturers. Rob Lee told me he is producing this saw not to compete with the high end saws (Like Adria, Lie-Nielsen and Wenzloff) but to offer a similar quality product at a rock bottom price for woodworkers who can’t afford the premium saws.
All I can say is this – he has succeeded. And if you can get your head around the look of the saw (it does grow on you over time, honest!) you might just of found the handsaw bargain of the century.

Cheers
Philly :D

So you are not the only one producing something a little different Philly, looks like one of those items that just fits in the shop and does the job regardless of 'collector' potential.

Are the teeth conventional set?

Nice review, thanks Philly.

I also have the LN saw and am happy with it, but I was planning to get the LV saw in the interests of science since it seems such a reasonable price.

Cheers, Ed

Chas
Here are the specs..

The 0.020" thick high-carbon steel blade features 14 rip-cut teeth per inch, having 0.003" of set per side. The teeth have a rake angle of 14°, and an included angle of 60°.

Mike Wenzloff had a play with one, too. He was impressed (although muttered something about too much fleam for his liking :wink: ). All I know is - its cuts beautifully.

Ed - Yes, be interested to hear what the price is. I'm sure Martin will be along soon.
Cheers

I've already commented elsewhere that I was disappointed with the look, but in producing that sort of performance at that sort of price, I reckon Rob Lee and his team have produced another winner 8)

Great review, Phil.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

In terms of aesthetics I don't think it would be my primary choice but nor does it offend me like it clearly offends some. It is very keenly priced - at least in the US.

Hi Philly
Methinks your havin us on . That Lie Nielsen is a brass backed
Blackspur by the look o them cuts . It's a sales scam ain't it ????

I'm suprised at how cheap this saw is. If it's $65 in the US that usually relates to £65 by the time it gets over here but I see Axminster are selling it at £36.19.

Philly":5f5ykrwk said:
Veritas Dovetail Saw
Hi Folks
While at the WIA show last week, Veritas were displaying a new saw. It was rather a shock when I first saw it – a rather unconventional saw! Rob Lee was kind enough to give me one as a gift (maybe to make up for giving me a sneak look at another new tool-see separate review!) and I thought I’d share my thoughts in a little review.
saw8.jpg

The saw is rather different to any other I have ever seen – yes, I’ve seen saws with plastic handles but never a plastic spine. The spine is made from stainless steel powder, glass fibre and resin – the back is actually moulded onto the saw blade and handle mounting bolt. The handle is a conventional Bubinga handle.
saw6.jpg

saw5.jpg

So the first impression is quite something – most people I spoke to at the show hated the look of the thing. Luckily, a bench was available with some scrap wood to take test cuts – and that’s where the story changes. The saw cuts very, very nicely. The handle is very comfortable and natural and the saw is well balanced. I looked forward to testing the saw properly back at the workshop.
saw7.jpg

saw4.jpg

saw3.jpg

As a comparison I am using my trusty Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw. I have owned (and used) this for a good few years and feel comfortable with it. First test cuts were taken in some 12mm thick black walnut. The Veritas saw started easily, cut fast and tracked straight. Very impressive. I took the same cuts using my L-N. The Veritas cut a little faster (the Veritas is 14tpi, the L-N 15, so no surprise why.) The L-N made a slightly coarser cut – there was a slightly ragged edge visible. And when viewing the cuts from the rear this is all the more evident.
I then repeated these cuts on some 19mm thick black walnut. I was impressed with the way the Veritas cut – it seemed to track truer than my L-N. May be time to stone a little more set off my L-N…..

saw2.jpg

Once you spend some time using the Veritas saw the look doesn’t seem to jar as much. After a week I now look at the saw and think “If Batman used a dovetail saw it would be this one!” . The saw is very comfortable to hold and the balance is just right. It also cuts very well and is seriously sharp.
saw1.jpg

This saw is priced at $65 in the US – I’m not sure what the UK price will be, but this is a small amount of cash for a saw that performs as well as any I’ve tried. And I’ve used (and own) saws by all the main manufacturers. Rob Lee told me he is producing this saw not to compete with the high end saws (Like Adria, Lie-Nielsen and Wenzloff) but to offer a similar quality product at a rock bottom price for woodworkers who can’t afford the premium saws.
All I can say is this – he has succeeded. And if you can get your head around the look of the saw (it does grow on you over time, honest!) you might just of found the handsaw bargain of the century.

Cheers

Hi Philly
Axminster's price today £36.19 , not bad eh !

philly, is the saw resharpenable, looking at the price, makes me wonder if its a hardpoint saw jobby, no resharpening :?

cheers
Rob

owe and i wonder if mr lee would give me a free one? i can promote it at work and get everyone to buy one????

Rob
Yes, the saw is re-sharpenable. Made from regular spring steel (in Japan, I believe)
Can't help you with the second one :wink:
Cheers

p111dom":rgznwbay said:
I'm suprised at how cheap this saw is. If it's $65 in the US that usually relates to £65 by the time it gets over here but I see Axminster are selling it at £36.19.
It will be interesting to see if the price remains when it is "in stock" :lol:

I know that others have commented on the aesthetics - but I think I like it, looks very modern although does appear to be missing a mains lead

TonyW":25o0l5zt said:

I thought the same thing too. Possibly another Axminster missprint? The real bummer is that the VAT decrease kicks in the day after the Harrogate show. :cry:

It's ugly as sin, but at that price, i'll be adding one to my toolbox in the not to distant future to replace my old naff dovetail saw. Thanks for the review Phil.

TonyW":3kh1dwnc said:
p111dom":3kh1dwnc said:

When I ordered the DeWalt Router with guide from Axminster, it said they were out of stock but it was delivered four days later :? . Also they should honour the price quoted.

Phil

Chris Schwarz got one of his people to alter the handle to Ebony on the computer - makes it look a bit better, I think

Veritas_Ebony.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back