Veritas Dovetail Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A definite improvement there Paul, could almost live with that version given the price, but my LN(and your W's :wink: ) are much prettier :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

chisel":2jufqem8 said:
(and your W's :wink: ) are much prettier :roll: :lol:

Yes, there's something rather special about a custom-made Wenzloff saw - I'm tempted to frame mine 8) :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Great review Phill...ta. I initially thought the saw looked a little strange but as you keep on looking at it, it does sort of grow on you. And at that price :shock:...there should be one in my package as well - Rob

I read some comments from Rob Lee on Woodnet that he had no plans for any saws beyond the dovetail saw, but never say never!

Cheers, Ed

I've just had a chance to have a quick look at the new saw and I have to say...I'm impressed! It actually sits very comfortably in the hand, There's a natural feel to the way the new spine thickens out near the handle and then blends in smoothly. The only initial thing that would bother me is that there's a bulge in the handle that's slightly uncomfortable where it sits on the ball of the thumb. However, from the brochure it's clear that Veritas are more than happy for users to modify the existing handle and even supply a drawing should you want to make your own custom grip. Can't be bad...full workshop test and piccis to come together with a piece in F&C - Rob

p111dom":1j7i50q2 said:
I'm suprised at how cheap this saw is. If it's $65 in the US that usually relates to £65 by the time it gets over here but I see Axminster are selling it at £36.19.

I guess that makes this saw dead (in market terms)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Vict ... -23571.htm

And the Pax DT at 80 quid look pricy - probably only for those who want traditional looks and can't afford the more expensive hand-made saws.

LV really have unleashed a modern monster.

BugBear

If I hadn't already bought a L-N saw (before I discovered Wenzloff) adn then commissioned a Wenzloff saw (before I heard about this) ] I might well have been in the market for one.
If they're competing in terms of cut quality at that price, then it definitely looks like one-up to lee Valley.
My only consolation is that Mike Wenzloff made and tested the saw to do exactly what I want it for - I'll just keep on telling myself that the Veritas wouldn't be right for me, and maybe one day I'll believe it and feel happy again.
](*,)

Well I don't know what's happening with the prices of tools at the moment. Classic Hand Tools at the Harrogate show said this saw would be £56 so as soon as I got back on Friday I ordered one from Axminster at the reduced vat rate of £35. I see that my order has been "partially dispatched". I wonder if the saw will arrive. Since then Axminster have put the price up to £39. So much for deflation!!!

Say Rob, why don't you have a go at making an African Blackwood handle for one of those saws? - that would be cool 8) .

A black handle, as the picture above shows helps with the asthetics.

At least the spine will not suffer from the dreaded finger print pox.

I approve. T

As indicated earlier, I like the look of this saw - but have to beg to differ about the African Blackwood - I think LV have got it right using their trademark Bubinga which actually contrasts nicely with the black spine.
On the other hand, maybe they should change it - I'd find it easier to resist buying one, then. I don't need one - just like the look of it.
At the price it's reportedly selling at, I think it'll make a great contribution to hand-tool skills - a good saw is absolutely indispensable and the price of LN and WS probably put a lot of people off. Maybe with this saw available, more people will learn to cut fine DTs by hand and experience the joy that it gives. =D>

I've decided I've GOT to have one of these.

Is anyone selling at a better price than Axminster's £39 ??

lurker":f2hhgmtt said:
I've decided I've GOT to have one of these.

Is anyone selling at a better price than Axminster's £39 ??

A few years ago, not having done any woodworking for many years, I celebrated my return by paying £60 for a well-known British make of dovetail saw, and nearly gave up for good on trying to use it. I later learned how to tune it up, which improved it no end before I took the plunge into serious quality with a L-N.
However, my point is that if this saw's as good as people who've tried it say it is, then - were i in the market for one - I'd grab Axminister's hand off at £39!

Well as suspected my Axminster delivery turned up without the saw. :cry: I wonder how long it will be.

Escudo":p2rpmsbx said:
Say Rob, why don't you have a go at making an African Blackwood handle for one of those saws? - that would be cool 8) .
. . . snip

With Rob's approval a project to make one in ebony is in hand. The donor saw arrived Friday night . . . so watch this space.

Steve

Having tried the new Veritas saw at Rob's bash in Salisbury yesterday there is absolutely no doubt that it performs at least as good as LN or other premium saws, in fact it seemed a bit easier to start a cut with it than a LN, don't know if the teeth angles are slightly different.

Would still annoy me and catch my eye in the workshop (in a bad way!) though :shock: , so would have to keep it out of sight in a drawer or cabinet :lol: but if that isn't a problem for you then get one, without a doubt it will do a very good job indeed for you and a pleasure to use.

Cheers, Paul :D

Latest posts

Back