Varifocals(trifocals)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm not as young as I like to think I am.

At present am using two pairs of glasses one for reading one for driving but now the middle distance is not so good, so Optician reckons I need a third pair, trouble is no one says buy one get two free.
Has anybody experience with varifocals and if so are they dangerous when using machinery.

Dom

Hi Dom,

Optician reckons I need a third pair

OK, but he should already be advising you of the ins and outs of your options including varifocals.
Has anybody experience with varifocals

Yup. A revelation to me after putting up with changing glasses all the time. Not everyone can adapt to them equally well, although I chose Essilor Panamic lenses. Expensive, but the choice of varifocal technology (and price) can make all the difference.

are they dangerous when using machinery.
. With regard to visual acuity - no more so than single vision glasses. With regard to eye protection - polycarb lens are safer and if you have a large lens style.

My advise is to discuss not only with your optician but also with at least one other optometrist. I did and learn't hugely more about choice of glasses than I got from my optometrist. They are not guaranteed to offer impartial advise and and it pays to shop around like for anything else.

cheers,

Ike

Dom

I have used varifocals for some time. After some trials and tribulations I would not be without them now.... My first pair came from a major high street chemist's optician outlet - they were thick (didn't use lightweight plastic) and distorted peripheral vision. Given enough head waggling I could get everything in focus though! Another pair came from a major opticians outlet and were polycarbonate. These were much thinner, gave me security when machining (but not when swarf and dust were bouncing about!!) and seemed to give better peripheral vision. The down side is that polycarbonate lenses scratch more than hard coated plastic lenses. My present pair came from an independent optician, who was very helpful (as were his staff), and have a wider field of view than bog standard lenses. They are also not so deep so the eye has less travel to find the clear view. The downside is expense.
It was worth calling in on various opticians to judge the attitude of the staff. Ask locals about them.

Bob

Hi Dom

I've been wearing varifocals for about 5 years now and I don't experience problems using machinery - it rakes a week or two to adjust (you start off doing a nodding dog impression before you master the "knack") but after that you should be alright

Scrit

Can't offer any help on vari-focals, just my take on eyes.

Each of my corneas used to belong to other people. I'm incredibly grateful that I live in a time and place where medical technology means that I can live a normal(ish) life. If I'd lived a hundred years ago I'd be selling matches on street corners. Or be dead. Still would if I lived in some other part of the world. Please consider donating your corneas when you no longer need them.

With contact lenses I can see 6/6 with my L eye and 6/5, even 6/4 on a good daywith my R. That's 20% or 33% better than Mr Average. It's fantastic, especially as without them I'm down to 6/300 with R, but still get about 6/12 with my L. Not good enough to drive, but I can function around my own home.

Anyway, I don't mean to give my entire medical history, but you can see where I am coming from here.

In the workshop I do take some risks I know I shouldn't. My tablesaw wouldn't pass any inspections, for example. But I never, ever take any risks with my eyes. Yes I know you may see photos of me using machines without goggles, but all the photos are staged, and sometimes I forget. But not in real use.

I'm also now getting to the stage where I can't focus like I used to, and need reading glasses. So half the time I'm wearing contact lenses AND wearing glasses!

The other half I'm wearing nothing, and my typing goes down the pan as I can't see what I'm writing :) Like now.

Whatever you get, I hope they are as helpful as my eye-helpers.

have been using vari focals for some time, no real problems
except watching tv when lying in bed occassionally,
they either need to be on end of my nose, or i have to
get a crick in the neck.

just play your self in carefully and make sure you get plastic
lenses.

welcome and good luck in the new world of the differently sighted.

paul :wink:

Hello Dom & everyone,
I have been wearing varifocals for some while & as has been said in other posts here I would not be without them. Steve (Maskery). We must all be grateful for your new corneas as I'm certain you could not turn out the standard of workmanship that you do without them. I do have a donor card, the one that says 'take what you need' basically. How ever, I digress, (as usual), varifocals are VERY good once you get used to where to look. Be cautious when using stairs & yes, they can be a pain trying to watch t.v. when lying down. Worth buying though. Like you say, no body does offers on these. I once got sent by a company I was working for to an optician for safety glasses & he said there's no such thing as a 'free' pair of glasses, you do pay for them one way or another.
cheers, sliver.

The only downside that I have noticed with varifocals is that sometimes, straight edges do not look straight. :shock: Take your specs off when checking this.

nick is this before or after a visit to the local hostelry???? :lol:

i think it is important to try and see how to overcome that
problem without taking off the glasses. so far i have
not found that to be a problem, but maybe it is a distance thing.

paul :wink:

I've had varifocals for several years now and as Scrit says, you go thro' the 'nodding dog' syndrome until you get used to them. Have experienced no probs of any sort in the 'shop with them tho' I do keep an old pair of gogs near the grinder. I now use an Airshield in the 'shop so have a little bit more protection against flying lumps of timber.
I wear rimless gogs now from Specsavers with thinned lenses but cannot have Reactolite lenses like wot I used to have with rimmed specs - bit of a pain 'cos I've now got to have additional sunglasses - Rob

Thank you all for troubling to reply,you've given me the confidence to try
which is what I feel this forum is largely about, and Steve I feel genuine happiness for you,Congrats.

Dom

Hi Dom
I've been wearing varifocal lenses for 3 years. I consider that I am extremely lucky as had no problem re getting used to them, my wife took some time. I go to an optometrist for the eye test but get my glasses made up by an optical engineer (no vested interest). The time before last when I needed new glasses I broached the subject of vari focal lenses instead of bi-focal which I normally had. He explained to me in some depth the pros and cons and recommended that as I had no problems with bi-focals stay with them. I took his advice. However, when my prescription changed and I required new glasses I went the vari focal route using Hoya lenses, the optical engineer that I use agreed with his supplier that if I did not get on with them within a certain period (I believe that it was a month) they would replace with bi-focal lenses at no additional cost, so the only risk I was taking was the difference in cost between the lenses. You may be able to agree a similar arrangement.
I have never regretted changing to vari focals they are brilliant.

Cheers Con

the optical engineer that I use agreed with his supplier that if I did not get on with them within a certain period (I believe that it was a month) they would replace with bi-focal lenses at no additional cost, so the only risk I was taking was the difference in cost between the lenses.

A good opticians will usually have a similar offer concerning varifocals. The deal is usually underwritten by the lens manufacturer in question. I know Essilor offer it.

cheers,

Ike

Latest posts

Back