Monovision?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I've reached that age where my arms aren't long enough for me to read small print but I find it a real pain having to get glasses out just to see the price tag on something or read a menu. My distance vision is fine it's just close up that's the problem.

My optician suggested wearing a contact for reading in just one eye, I thought it sounded strange but he explained how the brain merges the images from both eyes so you don't have to keep winking all the time! I'm giving it a try and so far it's working fine. I think my mid range vision is slightly compromised but it's a revelation being able to see my phone clearly again. Discussing it with a similar age friend he admitted he's had one eye lasered for near vision and swears having a bionic eye is the way forwards.

I've read one of the downsides is night driving can be a problem but I haven't tried staring into any car headlights yet.

Anybody got any experience good or bad of wearing a contact in just one eye?

Thanks, Doug

Is the contact in your dominant eye? Or does it not make a difference?

There was a time when I did wear just one contact lens in one eye - but that was due to having laser vision correction (one eye then the other - 3 months apart).

Good to know mate. Cheers.

If you are using soft\disposable lenses - online suppliers can be cheaper than an optician (even the ones that offer plans), even for the same brand.

If you are using soft\disposable lenses - online suppliers can be cheaper than an optician (even the ones that offer plans), even for the same brand.

Thank you, that's good to know, he is trying to get me to sign up to a plan after I've finished the trial period.

Thank you, that's good to know, he is trying to get me to sign up to a plan after I've finished the trial period.
Just look on the packet or the blisters - it should list the prescription (and base curve). That should be all you need to get some from elsewhere. I think the brands are much a muchness between them.

From memory - there's just a base curve, power (just a single value unlike glasses that have 2 - spherical & cylindrical) and diameter (although most will be a standard value).

Back