Accurater drilling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - I have a lot of trouble trying to drill accurately spaced holes, and have eventually hit on this method. Those folks who do any electronics will be aware of "stripboard", previously known as Veroboard, which has a 0.1" grid of 1mm holes with copper strips joining them. It's also available plain, without the copper.
You can often find a pair of holes the required distance apart, within 0.1mm or so. So you drill one 1mm pilot hole, then put a 1mm rod through the board into it, and then drill another 1mm pilot hole through the appropriate hole in the board. Then you can use the two pilot holes for drilling whatever size holes you need. Here's a chart of the various spacings available from a 10x10 grid.
PinBoardChart.png
I've just thought that the method could be used to drill a pair of accurate holes in the jaws of a pair of digital calipers. Then, with a bit of subtraction, you could adjust the jaws for whatever spacing you wanted. I've not tried that yet.

Just in case it's any use. I'm sure there are a thousand better ways!
Graham R.

What you need is an optical centre punch and then work in plenty of light. I had a similar issue as the eyes are not as good as they once were and now I can place marks exactly where I intended.

What you need is an optical centre punch and then work in plenty of light. I had a similar issue as the eyes are not as good as they once were and now I can place marks exactly where I intended.
From Axminster: "Once a rod is aligned with a mark..."
But how do you know the mark is accurately placed? I've used a blade and a ruler and great care, but it always goes slightly wrong somehow. And forget pencil and ruler as well! It seems there's no substitute for a jig.

Have you looked at these INCRA T-Rule 300mm (Metric) including Pencil | Wood Workers Workshop

With this you make the mark through a hole in the ruler, quote INCRA'S Micro-fine patented guide holes and slots at every 0.25mm, 0.5mm, 0.75mm or 1mm
Ok, thanks. They both look good and useful in their own domains. For wood, a combination of the INCRA for marking and the optical punch for, er, punching, would definitely be good, though heading upwards pricewise. For small metal, it still seems to me that if the stripboard method, if the hole separation is on the chart, is quick, easy and cheap!

Hi - I have a lot of trouble trying to drill accurately spaced holes, and have eventually hit on this method. Those folks who do any electronics will be aware of "stripboard", previously known as Veroboard, which has a 0.1" grid of 1mm holes with copper strips joining them. It's also available plain, without the copper.
You can often find a pair of holes the required distance apart, within 0.1mm or so. So you drill one 1mm pilot hole, then put a 1mm rod through the board into it, and then drill another 1mm pilot hole through the appropriate hole in the board. Then you can use the two pilot holes for drilling whatever size holes you need. Here's a chart of the various spacings available from a 10x10 grid.
View attachment 159841
I've just thought that the method could be used to drill a pair of accurate holes in the jaws of a pair of digital calipers. Then, with a bit of subtraction, you could adjust the jaws for whatever spacing you wanted. I've not tried that yet.

Just in case it's any use. I'm sure there are a thousand better ways!
Graham R.
This is such a clever idea! I use perf-board all the time, too. Thanks for sharing :)

Latest posts

Back