Vaccination

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem.....had mine in September! Volunteered for the Oxford vaccine study, so also had to have a multitude of blood and swab tests. It was 50/50 whether I had the real vaccine or a placebo, but when I was offered the vaccine this week, I had to find out if I was already protected. Turns out I was.

That's good news Tony.
Not sure what one I will be getting.
I know 2 people in Southport who had a jab yesterday and they were given a card with confirmation that they have had the first one, just wondering if that is normal practise or are the cards given out after the 2nd jab (if at all) anyone else had a card?

Cards seem to be common showing date and type of vaccination. My relative didn't get one though that is possible because it was back in December and there was only one choice then.

That's good news Tony.
Not sure what one I will be getting.
I know 2 people in Southport who had a jab yesterday and they were given a card with confirmation that they have had the first one, just wondering if that is normal practise or are the cards given out after the 2nd jab (if at all) anyone else had a card?
We were given a card and told it was proof of vaccination and that you needed it to get the second jab - had the pfizer one made my arm ache for a day or two but no other symptoms or side effects thankfully.

Padster

One reason the UK have ordered another 60 million doses of vaccine is because they know it protects for six months and these are probably for the autumn

I'm far too grumpy to do mingling ;)
You do make a valid points though thank you.
My boss lives in the states and went for his jab earlier this week. He said it was a complete nightmare with literally hundreds of people queuing through three floors of a large civic building. The problem was entirely down to the over 70 demographic getting the jab having nothing else to do so arriving early, hours early in many cases. It just caused a log jam and there was no way to send people away until their registered time.
My boss was fuming at having to spend three hours shuffling through a building trying to work on his laptop at the same time. Yes he is in the over 70 group but does still run a multi national corporation.

saw an article on this the other day, apparantly, especially with the pfizer vac (which has the whole storage issue with temperature), if vaccines are left over at the end of a day / session, they could easily have to be thrown out, so in fact it could well be in everyone's interest to take a vaccine if you are offered it.

My local GP surgery has awful admin staff (not just a recent thing, I completely appreciate that there is a lot of added strain right now), my mother in her late 70s has been waiting patiently to be contacted about her jab, her neighbour in her early 70s has been phoned already, when my mother phoned up to find out what was happening she was told she'd been phoned several times and messages were left, pure fiction. Similarly, I'm shielding, and so should be getting a jab now, again, nothing. I take some comfort in the fact that the number that have had the vaccine is rapidly increasing, so at least the much fabled herd immunity is eventually starting to happen

All the vaccination clinics have no-shows and vaccinations are available to people outside the normal groups if they turn up at the end of the day. That's how my daughter got her vaccine (19, but works on a cancer ward).

I'm working on the principle, that the longer it takes for me to get notification, the fitter my doctor thinks I am. :LOL:

I don't go to the doctor, or at least that's what the last doctor I saw about four years ago told me. My reply was that, "I don't come to see you guys unless I really have to. You might tell me something that I don't wish to know, and if I don't know, I won't worry about it." To which he replied, "You might well have a point there."

Nigel.

My boss lives in the states and went for his jab earlier this week. He said it was a complete nightmare with literally hundreds of people queuing through three floors of a large civic building. The problem was entirely down to the over 70 demographic getting the jab having nothing else to do so arriving early, hours early in many cases. It just caused a log jam and there was no way to send people away until their registered time.
My boss was fuming at having to spend three hours shuffling through a building trying to work on his laptop at the same time. Yes he is in the over 70 group but does still run a multi national corporation.

Hopefully, that's not the usual here (in the states). My wife got vaccinated (health care) and had two solid appointments (no waiting). Her parents, brother, sister in law (old, teacher, and dental worker, in order) and my parents all got appointments and went for their first so far with no wait.

I have heard that some of the vaccinations have been organized in community settings, etc, where this is a one time thing ,and that invites disorder and waiting. But for anyone over 70, I'd say this is well worth the wait.

If you're over 70 and that impatient, then there is probably something to work on in terms of priority. I've got a relative like your boss - he's in his mid 70s and retired a couple of years ago, but has gone from being on the gimmick 100% of the time to starting to lose his memory. He has at least 50x the money that he'd need to grow old, but I don't think he ever stopped to think about it and try to be good at something else (his wife died waiting for him to retire - he's just now gotten to seeing his adult children regularly).

I thought we had surpassed 500k a day, or was that a one off push for the media's benefit?

I very much doubt that the whole of the NHS would do a "One off push" for the media's benefit.

Don't be so sure, plenty of NHS managers will already be planning ahead for the inquries to come. They know that a major shakeup of the system is going to happen once this is under control, can't be put off any longer.

I think weather is not helping at present. Get a few good dry weeks and it will go up.
I was under the impression the hold up was supply (or specifically quality control) of vaccines. That said, though not faultless, I think the speed of vaccination so far is pretty good, beating most, aside from israel

In Scotland we are meant to be getting the call in blue envelopes. Nothing all week !

Anyway I went shopping this morning in the opposite direction to the surgery and got a mobile call to attend in 45 minutes - I'm 78 and not vulnerable!! Got it put back another half hour and was really impressed by how slickly and in a friendly manner they were getting through all the older folks rolling up.
Rob

In Scotland we are meant to be getting the call in blue envelopes. Nothing all week !

Anyway I went shopping this morning in the opposite direction to the surgery and got a mobile call to attend in 45 minutes - I'm 78 and not vulnerable!! Got it put back another half hour and was really impressed by how slickly and in a friendly manner they were getting through all the older folks rolling up.
Rob

Glad to hear you are having it done today Rob it will be a big weight off your mind, only 24 hours to go before I get mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back