Utility Room Corner cupboard dilema

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave261266

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm fitting out a utility room with some cabinets. Cheated a bit with the cabinets as they are bought (my excuse is that I didn't have time to make them due to the building timeframe :)) I am doing the doors though. There are 14 doors in total, fairly simple shaker panel door.

I have made all of these now and have hit a snag (oops). The lower corner unit allows space for a central filler piece to be inserted so that the doors can close etc. I assumed that the top corner unit would be the same. Unfortunately it's spot on 300mm which means that the doors will hit each other.

Obviously what I'd like to try and avoid is to "unmake" two doors.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could do the corner to avoid using a filler piece altogether or any other ideas on how I can get the corner "doored" without it looking silly.

Many Thanks

Dave

I assume that you have hung the top cabinets dave? If not, could you not hang the top cupboards to match the bottom ones and make a fillet to fill the gap?

Rgds

Saint

Sorry for the lack of photos, I will try and sort some out and add them.

The doors that I have made are 300mm wide and the cupboard is 300mm from edge to center. This would make them not close as they would hit each other. I could use a filler piece like the lower cabinet but that will either reduce the width of the rails on the door or reduce the styles and panel size in the door. I think that reducing the width of the rails would make the doors look silly so the only thing I could think of was to reduce the width of the panels which I think will look better but is shed loads more work.

I was praying that someone would just say "that's an easy one, you just do this...." :-(

If you are describing what I think you are describing then the normal way of doing this seems to be to have one door narrower by the thickness of the other such that you need to open the narrower door before opening the other.

Now, if one side of the wider door is being covered by the narrower door the stiles will not be uniform width and you might be able to get away with just cutting of the required thickness from the stile of the other door.

I suspect that if you were to go back and do it properly though you would want to make one stile of the wider door wider by the thickness of the other.

Not sure if this makes sense.

Andrew

Dave,

Potentially at risk of suggesting sacreligious practices and also perhaps misunderstanding the problem, but would it not be possible to bevel the outer edges of the doors where they meet (assuming that they're solid wood). This would give you narrower looking stiles at the front where they meet, and it might not even be necessary to open one door before the other. Just kind of like a mitre with no glue?

Cheers,

Dod

Back