Utility Room Cabinets; raised Washer & Dryer for the elderly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to invent a way of raising a heavy german washer and dryer up from the floor so they can be used without stooping (elderly persons). Say by 400 mm. The floor is supended and I imagined creating a raised floor /joists/bolts/studs and resin etc. just big enough for the appliances. However, also seen this week, similar appliances elvated in what looks like a normal kitchen cabinet - think built in oven cabinet, but appliance lower. There was a cupboard under each, with a pull down door. Any idea how such a cabinet is made? You might think an out of balance load would shake the woodwork to bits!

If your current w/m and t/d are 600mm wide, they will not fit in a standard kitchen cabinet which is 600mm external dimensions (approx 564mm internal).

Were I attempting similar, I would simply build a 400mm high "plinth" to put them on.

Plinth to be fixed to wall so it does not "walk" with vibration.

Also a small (~50mm) high surround to the base of the w/m and t/d to eliminate any risk of either vibrating off the plinth.

Some washing machine companies offer stands and brackets to stack the washer/dryer so might be worth investigating that avenue.
I would be a bit careful just building a box or whatever from plywood as the machine will move a surprising amount when spinning. I had our tumble drier on top of a worktop which was fine but I would worry about the washer.

just googled this thing. Raised washing machine cupboard | Safely elevate your washer & dryer | Washtower but it cost more than the washing machine !!

Ollie

Back