Using router technologies Xtreme extension for cutting deep

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galleywood":6z1vffyd said:
Myfordman":6z1vffyd said:
I'd suggest buying the Axminster ER20 collet model. Should offer superior grip and concentricity as well as being cheaper than the xtreme.

Collets are available from a wide range of suppliers in 1mm steps and have a range of 1mm. so one collet will take both 6mm and 1/4" (6.35mm) another will take 12mm and 1/2" (12.7mm).
These collets are the only router type that have the combination of accuracy and designed 1mm operating range.
ER collets originate from the engineering industry where they are regularly used for lathes and mills.

Myfordman - Have you used one of these, or are you just speaking from an engineering point of view - I would agree with you regarding grip, concentricity and cost.
However you would need two spanners to change tools - one on the flats (so as not to put load on the router's own collet) and the other on the nut.
This all makes tool changing a bit of a faff, probably more so if the router is not table mounted.
Using an Allen key to tighten/release the collet is so much easier.

Galleywood - this is a very fair point and about 10 years ago I bought and still use the Xtreme extender. As far as I know, the ER based extenders were not around then. I imported from the US when a pound bought over 2USD so much less painful on the wallet than these days
Single tool operation is convenient but I'm not totally happy with the conversion sleeve system for 6mm, 1/4" and 8mm needed for the Xtreme. I've made my own sleeves for the metric sizes with extra slits for more complete compression Of course, 12mm use is not possible with such small difference compared to the 1/2" bore.

If I had my time again, I'd buy the ER20 unit and make a cranked spanner to hold the body still whilst using a standard ring spanner on the collet nut. This combination should allow cutter changes without raising the router as much as the Xtreme scheme needs.

I have an ER32 system on my engineering lathe and ability to grip any size round bar is very useful and so far has proved accurate and far quicker than clocking in on a 4 jaw chuck. I've never been aware of anything slipping. Access for spanners is straightforward on the lathe. I use the Clarkson chuck system on the mill but that requires threaded shank cutters and a back centre on the shank as well. That works faultlessly too.

Mainly due to my engineering background, I approach my woodwork as simply engineering with a different type of material and endeavour to bring as many engineering process into the woodwork shop as I can.

This does not always find favour with other woodworkers but it suits me!

I have to say I approach woodworking in much the same way Bob.
I design what I want based on what is theoretically possible.
I then attempt making it in the way I planned and resolve whatever engineering challenges I'm presented with.
I hate my design being limited by available tools, tooling or equipment so I will endeavour to find a way to make what I've designed work even if I have to put a chunk of time into researching, sourcing or creating a solution.
I often get asked "why are you trying to re-invent the wheel?" but If I can see a better or more appealing way of making something then I will pursue that idea to prove myself either right or wrong. Its all good experience in my book.

Adam9453

I would be very interested to know how you get on with the ER collet extension.
Would you mind posting your comments when you have tried it please.

Yeah definitely, I ordered it today but probably won't get to doing the actual task for another week or two. I'll post my findings once I've played with it

I bought the extreme extension and an Incra magnaloc insert from Peter and have no issues with it whatsoever. The extension is well proven and had there been shortcomings I think we would know about them by now.

Bob

I've ordered the 1/2 inch extension which includes the 1/2 inch collet, I've also ordered the 27mm spanner, the 6-7mm collet (for 1/4 inch bits) and the 8-9mm collet. This came to just under £68 delivered which is very reasonable and pretty much the same price as the Xtreme extension Peter sells. I have excluded the smaller 19mm spanner as I already have this so if you add that on then it may be a couple of pounds dearer depending on whether Peter offers free shipping on orders of this amount.
I will post up my review of it as soon as I can. I expect to be at that stage of this project in a week or two.
Something that also might interest others is Axminster sell a full range of the collets to fit this extension, the smallest being 2-3mm and the largest being 12-13mm so with the appropriate collet it can hold a shaft sized anywhere from 2-13mm diameter.

Lons":3lfjw0py said:
I bought the extreme extension and an Incra magnaloc insert from Peter and have no issues with it whatsoever. The extension is well proven and had there been shortcomings I think we would know about them by now.

Bob
Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Xtreme extension Peter sells, it receives very good reviews. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm bad mouthing it.
I just personally prefer the design of the Axminster version.

Adam9453":5n3mha42 said:
Lons":5n3mha42 said:

Bob
Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Xtreme extension Peter sells, it receives very good reviews. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm bad mouthing it.
I just personally prefer the design of the Axminster version.

Nothing wrong with that view at all Adam.

The only point I would make about the "availability of a full range of collets" you mention is that it's not relevant really IMO as there would be a very limited number of sizes you need, I guess 3 at most i.e. 1 to cover 6mm to 1/4", 1 to cover 12mm & 1/2" and maybe another for the much less popular 8mm.

I have a 32 mm collet chuck for the lathe which is very useful and would be interested to see how your extension works out in due course.

cheers
Bob

I've bought the three collet sizes you mentioned as I don't expect to need the other sizes but I could see someone potentially needing a different size from the range for a task using a one off bit of tooling perhaps. You also could use the collets to put drill bits in your router but I don't think that would be a great idea for anything more than just a one off weird task.
The collets are also compatible with the junior chuck that Axminster sell which possibly would be more interesting for wood turners interested in doing intricate detail work.

Back