Using router technologies Xtreme extension for cutting deep

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam9453

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some deep pieces of oak moulding (or beading) to make, they need to be circa 37mm deep and I plan to produce them using my router table with the Xtreme extension (see link below) to allow me to raise the cutter high enough to cut the deeper part of the profile.
http://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/epages ... ssicView=1
Does anyone see any issues with doing it this way?
I appreciate most would use a spindle moulder but i don't have one and I don't like them. I prefer to use a router table

Provided that you set it up carefully (i.e. so that it is properly balanced) the XX is a superb piece of kit. I wouldn't be without mine. It is installed permanently, even for normal cuts, because cutter change is so much easier. 37mm is not an excessive depth, although I might not necessarily take it all in one pass.

It's not ringing obvious alarm bells with me.

Thanks Steve, it will certainly be done in multiple passes as the overall size of the beading is roughly 37x38mm.
I plan to cut an angle on the edge of the timber using the tablesaw to get rid of most of the waste and then I'll cut the first half of the depth with the bit raise up high, then lowering the bit to cut the second half of depth.
Do you have any tips or tricks on setting up the extension?

IIRC the instructions that come with it are pretty good. Keep the speed down, try it and see how much vibration you get. Turn it 45 deg and try again. Better or worse. Keep trying until you get the best position with least vibration. And if you use the reducing sleeve make sure it is in the right orientation so that the slit closes up with the cam.

Also make sure that you existing collet isn't worn. The XX is a hefty piece of precision engineering and if the collet can't hold it as it should you are likely to get imperfect results.

Why not give Peter Sefton a shout, he's a very helpful sort of chap.

Does that extension just work with a grub screw bearing down on the cutter shaft?

Steve Maskery":1ocndgo4 said:
No, it's a cam that is operated with a T-Allen wrench.

Cheers Steve.

Myfordman":1ocndgo4 said:
Speaking as an engineer, apart from the ER collet type extensions, this extension is the best I have come across.

That's what I wanted to hear, cheers Bob.

When's Fathers Day :lol:

I'd suggest buying the Axminster ER20 collet model. Should offer superior grip and concentricity as well as being cheaper than the xtreme.

Collets are available from a wide range of suppliers in 1mm steps and have a range of 1mm. so one collet will take both 6mm and 1/4" (6.35mm) another will take 12mm and 1/2" (12.7mm).
These collets are the only router type that have the combination of accuracy and designed 1mm operating range.
ER collets originate from the engineering industry where they are regularly used for lathes and mills.

Adam9453":3ug802mr said:
Thanks everyone, I'll give peter a shout and see what he says

Hi Adam

Happy to help if I can, send me a PM with anymore questions and your contact details. I am going to the workshop now to get ready for my beginners course this week so can call you back later.

Cheers Peter

Myfordman":1ucpq6bu said:
I'd suggest buying the Axminster ER20 collet model. Should offer superior grip and concentricity as well as being cheaper than the xtreme.

Collets are available from a wide range of suppliers in 1mm steps and have a range of 1mm. so one collet will take both 6mm and 1/4" (6.35mm) another will take 12mm and 1/2" (12.7mm).
These collets are the only router type that have the combination of accuracy and designed 1mm operating range.
ER collets originate from the engineering industry where they are regularly used for lathes and mills.

I haven't used the ER20 but it looks like it's a 2MT for engineering, not sure if this will fit in a router? I am happy to be enlightened.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":r1kvsc2b said:
Myfordman":r1kvsc2b said:

I haven't used the ER20 but it looks like it's a 2MT for engineering, not sure if this will fit in a router? I am happy to be enlightened.

Cheers Peter

Enlightenment to be had here Peter

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-ro ... ank-211367

Thanks for that link Bob, that is exactly what I've been looking for. I prefer a collet and tightening nut design as I think it will be easier to setup and maintain concentricity.
Sorry Peter I'm going to go for this option instead

Myfordman":3ev7i5wf said:

Myfordman - Have you used one of these, or are you just speaking from an engineering point of view - I would agree with you regarding grip, concentricity and cost.
However you would need two spanners to change tools - one on the flats (so as not to put load on the router's own collet) and the other on the nut.
This all makes tool changing a bit of a faff, probably more so if the router is not table mounted.
Using an Allen key to tighten/release the collet is so much easier.

Personally I'd much prefer using two spanners and have the confidence it will be concentric and held securely.
For the odd times that I will use this extension, I'm happy with the trade off

Adam 9453

Yes, on reflection, for a one off or infrequent use, then the ER collet is probably the way to go.

Latest posts

Back