Used Record BS300e Bandsaw - buy advice requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am viewing a record power bs300e bandsaw at the weekend, 480 GBP . Is this reasonable value and what should I look out for and inspect on the machine before parting with my hard earned. Thanks

At only £100.00 off the new price I would expect it to be in near new condition, I only paid £400.00 for a 350, so its not that much of a bargain.

Mike

Sorry my mistake. 400 euro and I intended to type 380 GBP not 480 gbp

£357 is a better price at an exchange rate of 1.12, but I think still overpriced unless its only a few months old and in new condition, and as Bob has said comes with lots of extras, the 350 I bought had the Yandles aftermarket blade guide, four extra blades and the mobile base, even though the castors on the base are useless and bend very quickly to point they have to be changed, I think this issue is weight related.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how much you want to pay (how desperate are you?)

If it looks like new and you can see it working, then haggle the price a bit. Any hesitance on the owners part to let you play with it, and you walk away.

I bought one of these last July and think the price is a bit high for a 4 year old model ( the new price would have been quite a bit lower than it is today). The 5 year guarantee is almost expired, if it was registered in the first place, and I'm not sure if it's transferable. A pedal operated castor wheel kit is definitely needed if you only have a small workshop and need to move it around frequently, as I do.
A point to watch is that the top blade guide carrier assembly swings forward noticeably when the height lock knob is tightened (about 1/10" in my case). If you set the rear blade support roller before locking the guide carrier it will swing forward and press hard against the spine of the blade causing wear and will also move the blade away from the lower support roller.
Hope this helps.
Paul,

Prizen":36s0z18m said:
Tks will check it out anyway but it's at least 4 years old

Four years old, definitely something to think long and hard about, personally I would save a bit more and find a BS350S worth it for the extra capacity and the tensioning lever if nothing else.

Back