USB 2 ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
How can I tell if one of my three usb ports on a laptop is usb 2 and not 1.1 as I want to enable the laptop to view digital tv through a usb 2 dongle

Cheers SDP

Can you get to device manager on your PC? Assuming you can, if you click on Universal Serial Bus controllers, then I can see straight away onr of mine is a Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Ehanced Controller. The others aren't marked as USB 2, just USB.

Adam

Ok, well first off, if you laptop is less than about 4 years old then its almost guaranteed that they will all be USB 2, but there's always some that slip through. To find out for sure, go to system set-up, and if you don't know where that is then just as your computer starts, it will tell you to 'press such-an-such a button to enter setup', it's usually something like delete or F1 depending on the make. Depending on your bios system, all set-up screens look somewhat different, but there will be USB configuration information in there somewhere, on some systems you have to actually tell the computer to make the ports hi-speed/full-speed and not USB 1.1 (they are backward compatiable). Alternativley, stick a USB2 memory stick into a USB port and if windows goes "this device can run faster" then you know that it will be a USB 1.1. Hope this helps!

Adam.Tarkin thanks both.

Looks like I have not got usb 2.

Oh well double the price of a usb dongle looks like a card bus for me.

00007773.jpg

00007810.jpg

Digital ?Digital? whassat then. 2009 I'm told.

I have a digital TV tuner in my laptop, but it's a waste of time around here - no digital signal whatsoever that I can find!

Comes in handy when I am travelling with work though!

Gary

Hah! Digital?! Excitingly I can just about get Channel Five - with added snow storm effects. Makes spotting the ball during the cricket highlights "interesting".

Cheers, Alf

Yep no digital tv here either.

but when iam traveling in Germany, its perfect, watching digital tv on your laptop

these little digital tv receivers are marvelous. and the quality is superb

So how long do we need to wait till we have it throughout the UK

I have heard that the netherlands have stopped airing terrestrial tv, and you only can get there digital tv (it probably also helps if everybody is hooked up to an cable)

Hi Sawdust Producer

What make and model of laptop do you have?

Lee

Latest posts

Back