US equivalent nearest to UK M10 bolt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiosity got the better of me! Looked on Jessem's website and various tables have locking caster sets available. Strangely they seem to have both metric and US sizes mixed within the package.

both metric and US sizes
What's with "metric and US" - although the left-ponians refuse to embrace the Metric system (more fool them!) the opposing system of 'Metric' is 'Imperial'. On this side of the pond - meaning the British Isles - but also in Germany, China, Japan (and I'm sure many more places), The Imperial system still runs nearly alongside the Metric system. There is so much historic equipment still extant that it is likely to be so beyond my alloted span.

Prior to 1795 even France used the 'Imperial' system and it took them more than a century to fully adopt the metric system so the use of 'US' is simply wrong.

Curiosity got the better of me! Looked on Jessem's website and various tables have locking caster sets available. Strangely they seem to have both metric and US sizes mixed within the package.
First place I looked, but I thought £290 for a set of castors is a bit steep.

Jessem castors.jpg

J-G, thank you for your sarky comment.
As most are aware the United States might have retained imperial measurements they do not always accord to UK sizes (US Gallon versus UK Gallon?). I was pointing out that the US (and often Canada) will use a variety of thread sizes (UNC, UNF including pipe sizes NPT as oposed to UK BSP), which I then used "US" to point out the different uses, not to say that there was a US thread.
We in the UK adopted many of these UNC & UNF sizes mainly in the automobile world and thus A/F (across flat) spanners in imperial sizes. before moving over to metric.
I have a huge collection of taps and dies that span a great variety of thread types including whitworth and others that I have used for the past 60 years, not to mention spanners (wrenches for our friends across the pond) to fit so many nut sizes used in the past.

Geoff_S,
Yes to us a crazy price. I was looking to see if they mentioned thread sizes on their tables and was surprised to see metric and imperials sizes in their parts lists.
One other way of getting over your problem would be to make a frame with your castors that the legs would sit in either in wood or metal.

J-G, thank you for your sarky comment.
When the comment left me it wasn't 'Sarky' :D How you interpret it is outwith my control though.:ROFLMAO:
As most are aware the United States might have retained imperial measurements they do not always accord to UK sizes (US Gallon versus UK Gallon?). I was pointing out that the US (and often Canada) will use a variety of thread sizes (UNC, UNF including pipe sizes NPT as oposed to UK BSP), which I then used "US" to point out the different uses, not to say that there was a US thread.
But you put the juxtaposition with 'Metric' - as a system, I was pointing out that there is not a 'US' System of measurement. Though I concede that prior to 1933 the US had a different definition for their 'inch' - in fact they actually retained their old 'inch' calling it a Survey Inch, (which causes a discrepancy of about 1/8" per mile) until January this year.
We in the UK adopted many of these UNC & UNF sizes mainly in the automobile world and thus A/F (across flat) spanners in imperial sizes. before moving over to metric.
We didn't 'adopt' them - they were/are used (mostly) in the automibile industry due to the influence of US car manufactureres setting up plants in the UK.

There is no BRITISH Standard for Unified threads - there would be no point in creating one.

The UK didn't adopt the Metric system until 1965 by which time I had finished my apprenticeship as a tool-maker where I had been using all manner of thread forms - not only the usual Whit & Unified but also Metric, Löenherz, Buttress, Thury etc. which were selected according to the application in hand.

That's the advantage of 'Standards' - there are so many from which to choose. :unsure:

What's with "metric and US" - although the left-ponians refuse to embrace the Metric system (more fool them!) the opposing system of 'Metric' is 'Imperial'. On this side of the pond - meaning the British Isles - but also in Germany, China, Japan (and I'm sure many more places), The Imperial system still runs nearly alongside the Metric system. There is so much historic equipment still extant that it is likely to be so beyond my alloted span.

Prior to 1795 even France used the 'Imperial' system and it took them more than a century to fully adopt the metric system so the use of 'US' is simply wrong.
If I'm not mistaken, BSP pipework is still (or was) used on the continent. I have been in many toilet blocks on camp sites on the continent where one sees 1/2" & 3/4" BSP fittings, especially outside water taps.

Looks for all the world like the legs have a threaded hole so if the new bolts don’t fit take one of those feet to your bolt supplier and they will match it up for you. What area are you in someone could suggest a suitable emporium🤔

If I'm not mistaken, BSP pipework is still (or was) used on the continent. I have been in many toilet blocks on camp sites on the continent where one sees 1/2" & 3/4" BSP fittings, especially outside water taps.
As far as I am aware, there is no 'native' ISO standard for pipe threads, they have simply adopted the British and American Standards for both Parallel & Taper types. Must confuse the hell out of anyone who is not 'in the trade' - just like when Zaire adopted the metric system and insisted that all product descriptions (on Invoices, Bills of Lading etc.) were strictly metric - meaning that we could not describe 1" BSP Dies as such but had to use 33.24mm x 2.309mm Whit. form . . . nightmare!

As far as I am aware, there is no 'native' ISO standard for pipe threads, they have simply adopted the British and American Standards for both Parallel & Taper types. Must confuse the hell out of anyone who is not 'in the trade' - just like when Zaire adopted the metric system and insisted that all product descriptions (on Invoices, Bills of Lading etc.) were strictly metric - meaning that we could not describe 1" BSP Dies as such but had to use 33.24mm x 2.309mm Whit. form . . . nightmare!
Or, employ British plumbers! ;)

When the comment left me it wasn't 'Sarky' :D How you interpret it is outwith my control though.:ROFLMAO:

But you put the juxtaposition with 'Metric' - as a system, I was pointing out that there is not a 'US' System of measurement. Though I concede that prior to 1933 the US had a different definition for their 'inch' - in fact they actually retained their old 'inch' calling it a Survey Inch, (which causes a discrepancy of about 1/8" per mile) until January this year.

We didn't 'adopt' them - they were/are used (mostly) in the automibile industry due to the influence of US car manufactureres setting up plants in the UK.

There is no BRITISH Standard for Unified threads - there would be no point in creating one.

The UK didn't adopt the Metric system until 1965 by which time I had finished my apprenticeship as a tool-maker where I had been using all manner of thread forms - not only the usual Whit & Unified but also Metric, Löenherz, Buttress, Thury etc. which were selected according to the application in hand.

That's the advantage of 'Standards' - there are so many from which to choose. :unsure:
I believe car manufacturers were going to convert totally to metric in the 70’s but found the costs too great so retained some AF sizes. 1/2” still fits many nuts.

BSP is still the standard for UK but there are some NPT especially on oil refineries depending on the owners. Philips Petroleum at Killingholme uses NPT and bolt sizes are USA standards as they are American owned. Whereas on the steelworks in Scunthorpe they use bsp and a 16mm bolt will take a 24 mm spanner, on Philips it is NPT and the equivalent spanner size is a 27mm. Pipe sizes are still nominal inches bore size but new school will quote in metric sizes. eg 6” nominal bore or 150mm, then when you get to 14” it is quoted in outside diameter. Until you get to hydraulic pipe which is quoted in mm outside diameter. Apart from that it’s simple.😂😵‍💫

Thanks guys for all the advice, it's been epic 😊 It was a 3/8" UNC bolt x 4.

And just to prove it, and the most boring photo of the year .... yay 🥳

IMG_3997.jpg

Back