US equivalent nearest to UK M10 bolt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the feet on my Jessem router table with lockable castors. The existing feet are secured by a bolt welded to the foot that appears to be an M10 bolt, or so I thought.

So I have the castors and some M10 bolts, but the bolts are slightly too big. It then occurred to me that Jessem being a Canadian company might be using US bolts and I assume they are imperial measurement.

If I am correct, I don't know and am happy to be put right, what size would the US bolt be and can I get them in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

PS. Is this the correct forum to ask in?

Last edited:
it's likely to be 3/8" but you need to measure the threads per inch to find out if its UNC, UNF, or even UNS or UNEF Then look up in thread tables
Or just run an M10 tap through and change over to metric.

I am replacing the feet on my Jessem router table with lockable castors. The existing feet are secured by a bolt welded to the foot that appears to be an M10 bolt, or so I thought.

So I have the castors and some M10 bolts, but the bolts are slightly too big. It then occurred to me that Jessem being a Canadian company might be using US bolts and I assume they are imperial measurement.

If I am correct, I don't know and am happy to be put right, what size would the US bolt be and can I get them in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

PS. Is this the correct forum to ask in?
If they are Unified then they are likely to be 3/8" which is nominally 9.525mm OD. UNC is 16tpi, UNF - 24 and UNEF 32. UNS could be anything! An M10 coarse thread would be 16.933 tpi (1.5mm pitch) and the 'fine' equivalent 1.25mm pitch (20.32 tpi).

Of course you can buy Unified bolts in the UK - all fastenings suppliers will carry them in a variety of length and head type.

If you were to run an M10 Tap through an existing 3/8UNC hole you would only get 3 (at most 4) clean threads.

Here's a drawing of the two - the left hand image shows both threads superimposed and the right hand image shows what the end result would be.
M10 - 16UNC comparison.png

Or down at your local good engineers merchant.
Mine would have 3/8 unc on the shelf
It's enlightening to walk the racks in the back
View attachment 164067
I bet that shop has everything no matter what you ask for they have it or no where to get it from 👍👍 there used to be a company in Wolverhampton called hughes and holmes and they had everything you could ever need or wish for -sadly no longer around..

That is designed to REPAIR a damaged 3/8UNC thread - - - the OP hasn't got a damaged thread that needs repairing! He has a good thread but not a suitable bolt.
Calm down Mr. Angry. It seems castors are to replace the original feet on a table that will allow to better mobility. At this time it seems the replacement castors will not screw on to the bolts welded to the table legs. Speculation is that these welded bolts are an imperial size and perhaps 3/8" UNC. If the castors have a fixing thread incompatible with these welded bolts then a solution would be to modify the castor threading to suit the welded 3/8" UNC bolts. If details of the available thread sizes was confirmed by the table owner perhaps a solution could be achieved.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly the original foot has a male thread, which is most likely a US thread. Just take the foot and find which nut fits its thread. (start with 3/8 UNC as suggested.

Cut off the existing bolt and drill through a suitable size hole for an M10 bolt.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I should have added that metalwork and I do not agree. It's been a long time relationship, wood no/not many problems, but metal always goes wrong. I could almost guarantee that anything that involved boring, re-drilling, welding etc etc, would have been a disaster. I don't know why, it just is.

So I have ordered 4 x 3/8" UNC bolts and we'll see what luck I have with that. Fingers crossed.

Although I would add that having ordered the bolts, it did occur to me, why not cut the feet off of the existing bolt (that I'm capable of) and glue on the nut that comes with it to "manufacture" a bolt? Never mind, if the bolts I've ordered are no good, I think it might be a way forward.

it did occur to me, why not cut the feet off of the existing bolt (that I'm capable of) and glue on the nut that comes with it to "manufacture" a bolt?
That sentence makes very little sense. - how would "...glue on the nut..." ever "..."manufacture" a bolt" ?

If you could post a photo of the 'Table' & 'Castors' I'm sure many of the questions that are running through my head would be answered in atrice. :unsure:

That sentence makes very little sense. - how would "...glue on the nut..." ever "..."manufacture" a bolt" ?

If you could post a photo of the 'Table' & 'Castors' I'm sure many of the questions that are running through my head would be answered in atrice. :unsure:
Sure, give me a bit of time and I'll do that (y)

Here you go:

What I meant was cut the foot off the bolt, then glue/epoxy/solder the supplied nut to the end of the bolt. Then use that to attach the castor.

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3985.jpeg

Last edited:
Back