Upcycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't seen much of this sort of stuff up here in the wilds until today, when the Thainstone car boot had two or three stalls selling lamps made either out of lots of different copper capillary plumbing fittings or "egg-beater" style drills. I don't like eggbeaters, but the lamps really were in execrable taste! Ugh.

I happened to be browsing in an antique (!) Shop on Friday and saw two upcycled table lamps. On was an old hand driven pillar drill. The other was a big bent spanner with a light fitting, welded to a base. Both were priced at £150 ( might have been£250) and both were really grot.
You really do have to wonder who, if anyone, buys this stuff

K

Thanks Andy/Custard. Confirm what I thought, lighting is best left to the larger enterprises. If I see any of these one offs
For sale, I may ask the seller of the product compiles with the necessary regulations.

Thanks Andy/Custard. Confirm what I thought, lighting is best left to the larger enterprises. If I see any of these one offs
For sale, I may ask the seller of the product compiles with the necessary regulations.

skeetstar":1kzpq8ov said:

Interesting point - pat testing and all that.

I imagine its perfectly feasible to make lamps at home and make them safe... of course that requires doing something 'properly' which I think is an alien concept to the majority of upcyclers (as usual, apologies to any doing a good job).

Personally one thing I think the lamp market is missing is some decent lampshades. The ones in mainstream shops are expensive, boring, often badly made and worst of all just don't look very nice (least in my opinion). Thats something useful upcyclers could do, make some of those nice parchment and leaf lampshades like my grandmother has... cannot imagine they take long to make and alls you needs is wire, parchment and some dried leaves/grass/flowers.

I once bought a Dolomite Sprint, it was an excellent comfy smoking lounge in the garage, absolutely cock-all use as a means of transportation. Does that count as up-cycling?

Rhyolith":w07ngamc said:
I imagine its perfectly feasible to make lamps at home and make them safe... of course that requires doing something 'properly' which I think is an alien concept to the majority of upcyclers (as usual, apologies to any doing a good job).

Personally one thing I think the lamp market is missing is some decent lampshades. The ones in mainstream shops are expensive, boring, often badly made and worst of all just don't look very nice (least in my opinion). Thats something useful upcyclers could do, make some of those nice parchment and leaf lampshades like my grandmother has... cannot imagine they take long to make and alls you needs is wire, parchment and some dried leaves/grass/flowers.

Any chance of posting a pic? They sound intriguing. Agreed it's not hard to find a nice lamp, but shades are generally dull.

p.s. the previous remark about upcycling being an escape has a lot of merit - my hobbies (inc woodworking) are stress-relieving from my tedious 9-5.

disco_monkey79":1udnaapc said:
Rhyolith":1udnaapc said:
...Personally one thing I think the lamp market is missing is some decent lampshades. The ones in mainstream shops are expensive, boring, often badly made and worst of all just don't look very nice (least in my opinion). Thats something useful upcyclers could do, make some of those nice parchment and leaf lampshades like my grandmother has... cannot imagine they take long to make and alls you needs is wire, parchment and some dried leaves/grass/flowers.

Any chance of posting a pic? They sound intriguing. Agreed it's not hard to find a nice lamp, but shades are generally dull.
Wildflower Parchment Lampshade by Rhyolith, on Flickr

RossJarvis":d4l5wvuy said:
I once bought a Dolomite Sprint, it was an excellent comfy smoking lounge in the garage, absolutely cock-all use as a means of transportation. Does that count as up-cycling?

You've given me.... a hell of an idea... :)

The lastest abomination:
IMG_20170822_173251.jpg

IMG_20170822_173302.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170822_173251.jpg
    IMG_20170822_173251.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170822_173302.jpg
    IMG_20170822_173302.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back