Up all night playing GTA5?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveB43

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
..or would prefer fettling a vintage Stanley No 5?..

just seen some of the footage and its amazing how far virtual reality games have come...
Don't want to play?, then just watch uploaded game footage on YouTube... :duno:

My eldest son loves this series - I always ( despite being a massive computer game fan , still is my other main hobby, albeit simulations.....) a bit dubious about the content, but just watched the trailer and I have to say, the scale and concept of the world are simply amazing........

Had a look on YT. 2 Black guys fighting, the winner was stamping on the other guy's head (very realistically mind). That was when I decided it wasn't completely what I was looking for as an alternative entertainment source. 45 Seconds of my life lost for ever.

Grayorm":2jly6dtp said:
Had a look on YT. 2 Black guys fighting, the winner was stamping on the other guy's head (very realistically mind). That was when I decided it wasn't completely what I was looking for as an alternative entertainment source. 45 Seconds of my life lost for ever.

+1. Thanks, Grayorm ...you've won me 45 seconds :eek:ccasion5:

Personally I just can't understand how people can waste their time playing computer games? What is the attraction with them? :?

mailee":2g0wjz5o said:
Personally I just can't understand how people can waste their time playing computer games? What is the attraction with them? :?
You could say the same about any hobby - some people think woodworking is weird...

I just watched the official gameplay video and have to say the graphics and movement are fantastic. I can see how people get caught up in it.

cambournepete":mui8xrqh said:
mailee":mui8xrqh said:
You could say the same about any hobby - some people think woodworking is weird...

I just watched the official gameplay video and have to say the graphics and movement are fantastic. I can see how people get caught up in it.
... but at least woodworking has a worthwhile end product (usually).

Nothing wrong with games, though I never indulge, it's just escapism. I must admit (being an old duffer) that I've only recently realised that they're not just played by kids. :oops:

Not just the young play them Roger , of that you may be sure. How do I know you might ask? At the moment my wife, a tender lass Of middle years , is chasing make-believe terrorists through a junkyard in a fictional Las Vegas location. She has a group of online friends she has never layed eyes on that meet each night at 8 of the clock or so . They gather , gossip and cheerfully splatter the enemy to girlish giggles as a background. And each of this cavalier band are older than she. What makes me laugh is when she gives out recipes (she is a professional chef) while firing an AK-47 on full auto. On the up side , my idiosyncracies look more managable to both of us. Hard to fault my love of a good sharpening debate while she is talking about the pros and cons of incendiary grenades as opposed to fragmentation in blind room clearing with a 65 year old lady in Texas.

While Grand Theft Auto is not really our style, we have played Skyrim through twice each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSL-r9AIEEU

It's like a long holiday in the Alps with dragons. Also your character can split and saw wood, make weapons and armour and get better at it as you practice. So it's almost like real life but with nicer scenery. .... and dragons.

Hi Richard , know what you mean my friend. When the Merry Middle aged mercenaries are not online , the wife becomes a Nord or Breton or possibly Argonian. At the moment her character is playing the Dawnguard add on . That means vampire hunting for those who don't follow the Elder Scrolls games. She keeps house in Skyrim with an almost Sheldon Cooper level of regularity, a place for every forged item and every forged item in it's place, or else. Ain't second childhood grand?

Stick a force-feedback steering wheel and pedals onto a powerful PC and immerse yourself in some Nascar action (or any other racing genre that takes your fancy).

It can literally be breathtaking if you've got the right set-up.

Personally I find games whose sole premise is the maiming and killing of as many innocent people as possible abhorrent. It dehumanises us and desensitises so that, for some, there is a blurring betweem the game and real life.

RogerS":25mzctbk said:
Personally I find games whose sole premise is the maiming and killing of as many innocent people as possible abhorrent. It dehumanises us and desensitises so that, for some, there is a blurring betweem the game and real life.
I do so agree!

I think it must do harm to the players but I'm told by "experts" that it doesn't affect people at all, they're not influenced by constant exposure to this rubbish. How come advertisements, using similar principals, work then? Or are are all the advertisers wasting their money?

Hi Roger, while there are many games with that kind of format, there is plenty of other games that dont rely on that. Personally, I love the world of flight simulation, where I spend hours perfecting real life procedures and tactics flying an F-18 and F-16 fighter jet, with an online squadron. We plan missions with real time briefings just like the real thing, use all the correct radio chat etc....its pretty cool. Sometimes I also play a really great military strategy game such as Arma or company of heroes. All these games are amazing when played online with other people as well. Here is a couple of links so you can get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxg49avUG38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9x5njr_gZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQyNh3KjDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiUCuwFOh4Q

I appreciate this kind of stuff is not for everyone, but some decent kit and peripherals, it can be an amazing and immersive experience.......

Cheers, mark

You don't even need the extras, if a games really good then its got you - making you jump/creeping you out when you play in a dark room - making you duck when the car in front crashes and flips over the top of yours - making your stomach tighten when you take a running jump off a high ledge. All hallmarks of a great game.

I never got why it was such a big deal. I know people who play and who were really eager to get the newest one but I was never really impressed by it. Maybe I just need to give it a try

Tomb Raider has now been spoiltby becoming easy and has too many hints nowadays.The first series were great you had to work everything out for yourself.

A lot of games are made that way now, if the gamers attention cant be kept with constant progress through the games story then they get bored and go buy somebodys elses products next time.

I didnt really play the original tomb raiders, luckily I was out more in those days :D

Back