Unusual table saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately there are no pills for stupidity. The man does not deserve to be a father. It also sounds like mommie is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

Lee

This attitude is quite common in "the land of the free".
You notice he said it was an accident (you can almost see the shoulder shrug).

Lee Brubaker":2gk34vw8 said:
Unfortunately there are no pills for stupidity.

Cyanide?

I'm still reeling over this. I'm almost tempted to join and give the guy a piece of my (typed) mind.

I'm new to woodwork and the TS still gets so much respect from me as do all of my power tools.
Respect to Martlewis that sounds about right for taking a child into your shop.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt most of the time but in this case :evil: :shock:

Can't understand some people but think maybe Darwin got it right with his idea of gene pool cleansing for some people.

Martin

Another situation with Hringey overtones. It ought to be reported to the local child support agency of NJ.

BTW I was an Haringey resident in the 40's we were quite high up in the bombing league, good area for nighttime plane spotting as well.

"My wife and I both agree that it was purely an accident and that I wasn't being unsafe"

I think that says enough, really! :shock: :x

He does also say that they're now thinking of buying a SawStop...

I let my son in the shop when he was 6. I even bought him some childrens tools. We had one simple rule: When the machines are going on he goes out. Not difficult.

This is just horrific, i feel sick just thinking about it. Why would you let any child of 6 near the TS...exactly what was he expecting the kid to learn from that? I think the thing that shocks me most is the tone of the replies...this was the most appalling lack of judgment which resulted in a child nearly losing a thumb...how can the replies be trite messages of sympathy and condolence?

Imagine how this would be dealt with if this happened in a school environment or youth group...whats the difference? A child was still maimed, potentially for life...and the child, not the father, will have to live with the consequences.

"In retrospect, the only two things I would have done differently would either be not letting him help on that part of the project because there's just no safe way for a 6 year old to have his hands anywhere near a spinning table saw blade"<snip>

Gee, d'yu'think? :evil:

I'm absolutely stunned. Poor little sod having this moron to guide him into life. My boys will be a good deal older than that before I let them anywhere near a plane or chisel, let alone anything with a motor!

That is sooooo beyond ridiculous I do not have words to comprehend it.

An unguarded table saw scares the bejesus out of me even with the blade tips aren't travelling at 100MPH+

I supervised a couple of my nephews when I was building my shed and the only tools they were allowed near was the hand saw and the cordless screwdriver.

I also had one golden rule, if I told them to stop they were to drop the tools and step backwards. I'd rather have them bust a tool by dropping it than a hand, or lose an eye or digit.

Holy rubbish :shock: This has to be a pi55 take or like somebody said a covert advert. If this really did happen first of all WTF was the father thinking and secondly WTF is with his flippant attitude to the whole thing :x I'm a great believer in giving my children an understanding of what I do in the workshop and the associated dangers, but would never dream of letting a child near woodworking machinery. My 7 year old helps me with assembly etc... but like somebody else said when the machinery is operating the children don't get in. Unf**king believable :x :x :x

If that is a genuine post:

In my shop I have a blunt-ended, ragman's trumpet and the 'jerk' better not let me catch him bending.

Any parent who did that over here, would wind up the Social Services 'at risk', register; not fit to have charge of children.

If it is a covert advert, they needn't expect me to buy a saw-stop, so I can let my grand-daughter loose on my saw.

And they say there is nothing new under the sun!

[-o<

I think they are all f****ing mad over there :roll:

Evidently here are all the good things that one chap says came out of the incident (I refuse to call it an accident).

Thank you for posting this story, even though you probably knew that all the armchair quarterbacks would tell you the obvious. You have beat yourself up enough already; you don't need us to do that for you.

"Being an optimist, I'm actually looking at this story from a postive perspective. Your son has now learned (although the hard way) a heathly respect for power tools. This may sound weird, but he may be more considerate of tablesaw safety as he gets older then those who don't use guards and have never gotten "bit".

The hospital visit might also have been a good father/son bonding experience. And now your son has a cool story and a cool scar to show his friends (when I was that age I thought scars were cool)!

When you guys are older you will have a funny story to tell at Thanksgiving!"

So......... if you want to teach your kid about dangerous tools, bond with him, make him the envy of his mates and give him a lifelong after dinner story ....... take him out to your workshop and stick the little sod's hand in a saw blade.

Hi Dangerousdave, I trust when you are at home with the children you use the alphabetical adjectives as well. :) :) :)

That was no 'Accident' Accidents are unavoidable , no this was an act of ignorance and downright ******* stlupidity . If he gets ''rilght back on the horse'' to quote one of his buddies the kid will be picking his nose with his elbows before he's much older . Should he survive that is . Criminal !!!

I can't believe what I've just read :shock: I agree with Smudge that children only work with hand tools. When I was teaching, no child ever used any sort of machine tool without one on one supervision, certainly no one except me ever used the t/s or planer. I hope this isn't a reflection of attitudes on the other side of the 'big wet'...but I suspect it may well be :cry: - Rob

woodbloke":34sx564x said:
I can't believe what I've just read :shock: I agree with Smudge that children only work with hand tools. When I was teaching, no child ever used any sort of machine tool without one on one supervision, certainly no one except me ever used the t/s or planer. I hope this isn't a reflection of attitudes on the other side of the 'big wet'...but I suspect it may well be :cry: - Rob

Our TS/Planer/big morticer/sharpening wheel were all kept in a separate room, locked, no kids' access under any circumstances. And that included 6th formers.

Words fail me , if i chopped my dogs head off it would still not be as stupid as this man , and my dog is stupid already :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back