Unusual table saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A spell checker for Zeb and others, if you type a word in google (the small box) it can sometimes help with spelling, it does for me if I'm fairly close :)

Hi,

Yes google has rescued me no end of times when Word has failed, I can't believe people recommend a dictonary to look up the spelling! you need to know how its spelt to find the word which it what us dislexics can't do.

Spell check only found 4 mistakes in that message.

Pete

Richard Findley":1i9jav9j said:
waterhead37":1i9jav9j said:
but I'm teaching my 11-year-old daughters how to turn and I really, really don't want to see either of them hit in the chest or stomach when the occasional piece explodes.

Waterhead,

I would recommend not turning something so unstable or so thin that it can explode. That way you get rid of the problem. Guarding on a lathe is only going to get in the way and is more likely to cause accidents, IMO

Richard

This was not me but the guy whose son put his fingers in the table saw. I was quoting another post of his.

Hi Pete,

The main function of a dictionary is to explain the meaning of words and how they should be pronounced. Spell-checking with a dictionary is a by-product and I agree, if you can't spell then they are no use to you, unless you can get 'in the ball-park'.

Fortunately I am not dyslexic and I was taught to spell in 'parrot-fashion'. Words like 'there' and 'their' were pounded into our minds by teachers who had also been taught that way. Not having any handicap it worked for me, but like most, I still get stumped at times and need a dictionary then.

PC spell checkers are useful, but if you used the word 'there', when you needed the word 'their', the spell-checker won't pick up your mistake if you spelled it correctly.

Prior to spell-checkers the dictionary was all we had and to paraphrase the old joke about wives and dictionaries, 'The dictionary always has the last word.' (In my ancient Fowler's that word is 'zymotic' ) :?

So I empathise, I really do. :)

Just reading Nick Gibb's comments on slipage with chisels. Not the most dangerous hand tool, because we all know, or at least ought to know that both hands should be behind the blade and the wood secured. I only ever had one cut in my school shop in 20 years caused by the wrong application of a chisel.
By far the most dangerous edge tool in a shop is a Stanley (or craft knife) being used against a normal steel rule. Even using a safety rule I was very careful to watch that the students didn't try it on with one of the standard bench rulers - Rob

I can endorse what woodblke said, it happened to me couple of years ago with a stanley knife, ran across my thumb nail and flesh underneath was hanging off, mind you super glue in this instance was a godsend. :)

Purchased a ruler with a hand hold on my last Axminster purchase (to make up delivery free charge and constantly use the rule now on my art work.

devonwoody":21lxqhrd said:
ran across my thumb nail and flesh underneath was hanging off, mind you super glue in this instance was a godsend. :)

Now that really is a bit Heath Robinson! :lol: I've heard that superglue contains a cyanide compound? Surely application to a wound would risk poisoning? Maybe you're immune :lol:

PS. Apologies for adding to yet more thread drift.

HeathRobinson":3gf62sv0 said:
devonwoody":3gf62sv0 said:
ran across my thumb nail and flesh underneath was hanging off, mind you super glue in this instance was a godsend. :)

Now that really is a bit Heath Robinson! :lol: I've heard that superglue contains a cyanide compound? Surely application to a wound would risk poisoning? Maybe you're immune :lol:

Yes I thought so too, but it was done at Torbay hospital A & E. :) :wink:

HR
Superglue was originally developed for skin repairs in the field, Vietnam, IIRC. Cyanoacrylate is not the same as cyanide! A couple of weeks ago I put my Japanese cleaver through my left index finger nail. I'll spare you a photo. The nail is now stuck down very nicely with superglue. I have to repair it every couple of days because cyanoacrylate is not very waterproof, but it does an excellent job of stopping it from flapping about and getting snagged on everything.

That's all they would have done if I'd gone to A&E. It wouldn't help the kid though :(

Cheers
Steve

HeathRobinson":2h7rdtx8 said:
devonwoody":2h7rdtx8 said:

Well obviously chemisty is not your strong hand :lol:
Why should all cyanide compounds be dangerous??
Superglue was actually originally developed for wound control I believe.

To Steve, has it slowed down your conjuring?
excuse the smilies :) :)
ps I forgot to use the spell checker on conjuring :)

Zeb - if you want an easy to use spell checker for making forum posts then there's one in the Firefox browser.
As I'm typing this message into my browser it underlines any words which are not in it's dictionary.
When you right click on those words it gives you options to correct the word or add it to the built in dictionary.

I think this is a default plug-in, but if you have any problems just pm me and I'll try to help

Duncan

Steve Maskery":34vpbyvc said:
That's all they would have done if I'd gone to A&E.

Having done something identical (but with a santoku) a few months back, they just took the flappy half of my nail off.

Yes, well, quite, Jake.

It reminds me of a story my wife tells of when she was a junior house doctor. She was on A&E and she received a case of a bloke lying on a trolley. She hadn't seen him but wanted to know why he was on a trolley. What had happed to him. "He's got a splint in his finger", said the nurse. "He's taking up a trolley because of a splint in his finger? I'll sort him out", thinks SWMBO and off she stomps to have words with this time-waster.

When she found him, this splint was half a gate post, 2 ft long, in through his finger, through the palm of his had, up through his wrist and up not quite as far as his elbow. I forget how he did it.

"That's fine, you just stay right there".

Even allowing for a little dramatic licence in the telling, it's still impressive.
S

Aaagh.

Thinking about it, I had removed a good (thin) section of nailbed, so I guess there wasn't much point in gluing mine down.

Rich":15h7mtrv said:
Norm ALWAYS uses a faceguard/visor when turning, if it's goodenough for him it's goodenough for me.

Rich.

Hi Rich, a face guard/mask is one thing (a highly recommended thing at that) but a guard around the machine, as i said, IMO is dodgy!!

Richard

waterhead37":4293dh8z said:
This was not me but the guy whose son put his fingers in the table saw. I was quoting another post of his.

Sorry Waterhead, it was just the way I read it, seemed like you were asking, not the moron with the table saw! :wink:

Richard

Nick Gibbs":275xiddq said:
Oval skews are much safer than conventional ones

Hi Nick,

Just wondered what makes you saythat Ovals are SAFER than normal Skews?

Richard

P.S Sorry for diverting the thread... again!! :oops: :roll:

Richard Findley":3mv8q1cx said:
Nick Gibbs":3mv8q1cx said:
Oval skews are much safer than conventional ones

Hi Nick,

Just wondered what makes you saythat Ovals are SAFER than normal Skews?

Richard

P.S Sorry for diverting the thread... again!! :oops: :roll:

When i went on a turning course for beginners, i was told an oval skew would be a safer bet than a square sectioned one.
Having now used both i do find the oval easier to move across the rest & control, though i am still not much more than a beginner :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back