Unusual table saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He posted this previously..not that it excuses him from his latest effort!

Any ideas on a source for a sheet of Lexan approximately 45" x 9"? My lathe has a guard that goes over the whole workpiece, but it's missing the panel directly in front of the work. I've never used the guard, being content with a face shield and a leather apron, but I'm teaching my 11-year-old daughters how to turn and I really, really don't want to see either of them hit in the chest or stomach when the occasional piece explodes. Thoughts would be appreciated. Will post this on the Wood Turning board as well. Thanks.

not taking the p*** but when do u guys think it safe to start using power tools on your own,i was 15 when i started, using the router,jig saw etc etc only this year now 16 i used the table saw as i was to scared to use it before :lol: i woodwork all year round out in my shop(8by6ft shead) fing cold atm got to make the christmas presents on the scrolsaw.

i think he should be shot if it true, i doubt it thou as no person i now would let a 6 year old near a drill let alone tb,

soz bout spelling im using opera so spell check dont work

soz bout spelling im using opera so spell check dont work

Dictionary?
I can't remember when I started using anything, but 6 yrs old is mad.

Roy.

yea i now i could but i dont have one could use the net i spose im just a lazy pipper tbh

You are not alone Zeb by any means, to us old 'uns your generation is perceived as being unable to write correctly or to perform simple mental arithmetic and many will argue, quite reasonably, that with modern aids it doesn't matter.
I would disagree.
You come to me for a job, we have a chat, I like the look of you, you are smartly dressed, which means to me that you have made an effort and I'm impressed.
We go into my office and I hand you a form with the phrase, 'fill this in'.
After you have departed there is a soft sound of the form entering the WPB file!
It may seem unfair but my experience is that if you cannot express yourself well, either verbally or using the written word, it matters little how good your argument is, it is unlikely to be listened to
Learn grammar and spelling and you are immediately one step ahead of the others in the jobs race.
Trust me, I've been there!

Roy.

this may suprise u but i agree fully and i can add up quicly verbally im gd but i have very bad dyslexia not an excuse i now, even if i could spell u wouldnt be able to read it and that why i use the pc all the time. i am job hunting at the moment so thanks for the tip :) but i dont think ill be a chippy anywhen soon as i wonted im now trying in all fields

Zeb,

If you need a spell-check, first type your post in Microsoft Word. Use that spellcheck, then when it's ok, cut and paste into your post.

Alternatively, you can download plug-ins for Opera and Firefox, to give you an online spell check. It's an American one, so you need to watch for that.

Best of luck with the Christmas 'prezzies'. Cheers

:)

With bad dyslexia you are doing bloody well! Thankfully today people know about the condition and will make allowances. When I was your age you were assumed to be a moron!
It may surprise you to know that back then you weren't even permitted to write left handed. Sometimes we make progress I'm glad to say.
If you are asked to fill in an application form etc, explain, any employer worth working for will understand.

Roy.

Action like this does the rest us no good at all. I'm all for taking risks, and helping children to learn by their mistakes, but there are limits. My 10-year-old daughter loves working on my small Delta bandsaw, and has learnt the groundrules about blades and fingers, but I wouldn't dream of letting her use the tablesaw, and I'm not too happy about rebating a board on its edge myself.

Well done to the Forum for publicising this, as long as it doesn't encourage the authorities to introduce draconian safety legislation that inhibits the way machines can be used. Make machines too safe and the users will lose what commonsense is left.

Someone told me a great story the other day (which I'm sure has done the email rounds) about a guy who mistook cruise control for auto-pilot on his Winnibaygo and left the driving seat to make himself a cup of coffee! It's on a site of the World's Weirdest Legal Cases.

We did an article this issue about encouraging children to take up woodwork. Do send us some of your thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Nick

PS If you haven't seen British Woodworking before we can send you a free sample.

Smudger":qnh5ra9j said:
I worry about my son using a TS, and he's a 32-year old professional...

I worry about my dad using my old one that I just gave him!

As for what ages suit what machinery... I think around 5'ish is fine for most hand tools, not sure I'd let them use chisels without being right there with them though, as for machinery and power tools... well, I started when I was about 9 (apparently) though didn't use a table saw till I bought my own which was 6 or 7 years ago aged 19, we were using bandsaws at school aged 11 and lathes too for that matter. I think it depends on the person and as we have read even some 'adults' should not be allowed to use tools. It's a real pity he didn't take his own thumb off, two people moving one small workpiece past a saw?? What's next for the father-son combo, one holding a fencepost whilst the other hits it with a sledge hammer??

What a retard

Aidan

I don't think there can ever be one age fits all Nick, this is of course where a degree of common sense is needed, but that seems on the face of it to have been severely lacking in this case.
Hopefully the father has learnt a lesson, but his suggestion that it was simply an accident worries me greatly.

Roy.

I'm with you, Aidan, except that, so far, all my woodworking injuries have been caused by slipping chisels. I don't say that to sound smug, just that they tend to be less controlled than, say, a bandsaw blade. One of my worst cuts was from trying to get a router cutter blade out of one those dreaded plastic sleeves some of them arrive in. I once watched my dear dad moulding the endgrain on a short piece of boxwood, on a router table, feeding the piece into the bearing-guided cutter with no feed pin, and it made me wince. Then I had to dodge as the wood flew across the workshop.

Nick

waterhead37":lczfkztz said:
but I'm teaching my 11-year-old daughters how to turn and I really, really don't want to see either of them hit in the chest or stomach when the occasional piece explodes.

Waterhead,

I would recommend not turning something so unstable or so thin that it can explode. That way you get rid of the problem. Guarding on a lathe is only going to get in the way and is more likely to cause accidents, IMO

Richard

Nick Gibbs":28chbnl0 said:
so far, all my woodworking injuries have been caused by slipping chisels

Hi Nick,

Just as it should be. If you don't leave the worshop with a least one plaster on you're probably not trying hard enough :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink: !!!

(before anyone starts, that was a joke :roll: )

I have 2 plasters on after today's jobs.... going to be one of those weeks I'm affraid :( :oops: :wink:

Richard

Norm ALWAYS uses a faceguard/visor when turning, if it's goodenough for him it's goodenough for me.

Rich.

The fact that the guy's wife thinks it was an 'accident' worries me even more. If I'd done that to our son, my missus would've done a Pierrepoint on me from the highest yardarm.

Richard Findley":1tuv6e2c said:
Nick Gibbs":1tuv6e2c said:
so far, all my woodworking injuries have been caused by slipping chisels

(before anyone starts, that was a joke :roll: )

Richard

So it was you who stole Bob Monkhouse's Joke book? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before anyone starts, yes, my zipper is secure!
:oops:

Turning between spindles is pretty safe, I'd say, especially if children are using a roughing gouge to start with. Table lamps are good projects. With a fingernail gouge there isn't even a 'shoulder' to dig in with, and you can cut uphill or downhill. Oval skews are much safer than conventional ones. I was fortunate to be taught simple, good skills from day one, and was extremely lucky to have lessons in sharpening turning gouges from the great Cecil Jordan in my teens. I'm sure a lot of mistakes at the lathe are caused by poorly sharpened gouges, with too many bevels, that jump and catch.

Cheers

Nick

I don't own a table saw. Frankly, I'm afraid of them. However, I suppose if I did acquire one, like all of my power tools when I bought them, I also
bought a book authored by an expert on each specific tool & read it closely before putting power to them.
So what do I saw with ? Good grief a radial arm saw !!!! I bought it new in 1958 & have never had any of the problems people hoot about which makes me think they have never owned one. My RAS was manufactured by the inventors ie: American Machine & Foundry who at that time owned the DeWalt line of tools. It is still going strong while Iam growing weaker with each passing year. My lathe is 63 years old & still in use. My jointer(planer) is 28 yrs old & still in use. My first handheld router is 48 years old. The ratchet depth adjustment is shot but no matter. I made a bracket that allows me to mount it on my RAS. Lots of weird cuts can be made with it as well as machining discs too large for my lathe. My BS is 12 years old. I have a like new 12 year old compound mitre saw on a mobile folding stand which leans against the shop wall outta the way. I discovered that it is no more accurate than my RAS & a damn sight noisier. The youngster in my shop is a 3 year old 13" 2 speed thickness planer. Oh yeah my bench top drill press is 30 years old (I knew I had forgotten something) No children in my life so was never tempted to do something stupid around machinery with a child in attendance.

Lee

It might be interesting to hear first hand from the Health and Safety Executive. They are on C4 on Thursday, the documentary is called "The Fun Police".

I have never had any direct dealings with them so it should be good to see what they come across. Hopefully nothing like what you have described in this topic.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back