Unusual table saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
filsgreen":1vmwowbc said:
It might be interesting to hear first hand from the Health and Safety Executive. They are on C4 on Thursday, the documentary is called "The Fun Police".

I have never had any direct dealings with them so it should be good to see what they come across. Hopefully nothing like what you have described in this topic.

Phil

Yeah, this is on tonight at 9pm. I just saw the trailer and it looked like some employees in a joinery shop were getting a right rollicking from an inspector about a missing guard on machinery. Hope it was none of you lot :lol: Should be an interesting watch tho

that is shocking!!!!!!!
i have my son who is 6 and he can set up and use the spindle moulder
my 4 year old is a great on the planner and thicknesser
my 18 month year old is just getting used to the router

There's a really easy way to tell if a child / adult is ready to use a piece of machinery.

Tell them you don't want to waste wood and ask them to find something else to put through the machine. If they start looking for something, it's time to fit an extra lock to the door.

I once found a list of HSE reports (about 40 pages of them) of tablesaw injuries, while I was working a quiet nightshift. When I got home, I dismantled my tablesaw and put it away and it stayed there for 18 months. It's still the second most frightening tool in the workshop. Number one is still the radial arm saw after a near-miss that still makes my blood run cold.

I watched the Incra promotional DVD recently and there's a few scenes that made me wince. Regardless of whether it's got guards or not, never get your hand within a hand's breadth of the pointy, spinny bits.

Also, wear safety shoes.

What kind of a person would allow a 6 year old child with no strict understanding of health and safety nor concept of a high rev blade system into a workshop. I would give this person a piece of my mind for which he should feast upon it.

as a blind joiner. 24 years old lol yep thats true every bit. the machines I use are as lethal as you get. gas driven nail guns for frame building, radial arm saws, resaws, drilling and shaping equipment and more. I'm always well aware of the blades and safety regulations concerning operation of machinery and as yet have not had any accidents. I took training from my grandfather who was a master craftsman and he always made sure I was aware of the hazards of joinery etc. I had to take HSE qualifications to cover me but hey. HSE guys get a bit nervous of me now and again but in the end you can see why lol get it.... see why?

I teach now and again but never demonstrate the industrial side of things until they have reached full competence in the workshop environments etc.

My heart goes out to that poor child . I dare say that will knock him for a long time to come woodworking wise. poor soul indeed.

take care all and be safe.

lew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back