Unusual Mathieson Front Infills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
At the David Stanley Auction yesterday, This jointer was sitting on Bill Carter's table.

It has this star mark on the lever cap

and this amazing 'racing bonnet' front infill.

Apparently there were two made of each plane size - I assume that would be jointers, panels, smoothers and thumb. All with the star mark and the low rider front bun except the thumbs that did not have a front infill at all, just a space for the fore finger.
(Bill had made a copy of the thumb which he had just bought back from a chap who had been keeping it in a safe ... not even a glass case mind, a safe ....)

I wonder if Konrad S has ever seen these racing models?

That does look rather gorgeous. Very sculptural - no guide line to tell you when to stop removing wood.
I see why they are in a separate thread, not in with your shopping thread.

An idea for your next infill project perhaps? You must have nearly finished the current one by now! ;-)

Still waiting for the tap and die Andy .... I ordered them in July .... any day now ... :roll:

Something that is not apparent from the photos is a strike button (of sorts). A dowel let in to the domed bit at the front, end grain up and about an inch wide.

Back