Unbranded makita batteries - update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cordless drill graveyard because of the price of new batteries. It's cheaper just to buy a new kit, which to me seems a stupid state of affairs. I must have 6 or 7 cordless drills and various chargers in my storage shed that just need new batteries, so prompted by this thread, i'm going to give these cheaper batteries a go and see what happens. I have four Makitas from 7.2v up to 18v, plus an 18v Dewalt and a 18v Hitachi, all gathering dust. My Dewalt 10.8v set is now starting to die as well, so i think i'll give these batteries a go.

Bob, thanks for that, I had a look at the red ones you mentioned but they look like the older type, not the slide on lxt which I use.
Have ordered a 5ah copy from ebay to give it a try, I'll see how it lasts with daily use.

The other option if you find your batteries no longer working is to have them re-celled. Possibly safer than buying unknown ones off ebay and you can sometimes have the cells fitted with upgraded ones. This is also a cheaper option than buying replacements from the manufacturer. I have an 18v Makita and a 14 Dewalt drills which I will shortly be having both of them re-celled.

Mike

btw 95% of the time there's only 1-2cells from all that have gone bad and messed up the whole battery.
find the bad one, replace and you got a new battery again.

Or... take it apart and use the 18650 batteries at other places,such as flashlights for example.

owsnap":1oqeoc42 said:
btw 95% of the time there's only 1-2cells from all that have gone bad and messed up the whole battery.

Or... take it apart and use the 18650 batteries at other places,such as flashlights for example.
That's not possible with makita lithium ion batteries. Once the charger realises there is a bad cell, it permanently stops the charger from attempting to charge it. The only way around it is to replace the batteries circuit board which costs around £7. A new battery can be bought for under £20 so it's really not worth the hassle, or risk

Coley

owsnap":18n39h88 said:

Or... take it apart and use the 18650 batteries at other places, such as flashlights for example.

APR18650 batteries are only 1.1Ah, but I would like to know what flashlights use them?

ANR26650 batteries on the other hand are 2.5Ah and would make a decent pack at 3.3volts/cell you need 6 to get 19.8volts, before anyone tries they are a specific size and may not fit your old casing.

An additional potential problem is their specific charging requirements and ballance leads needed, would probably make then incompatable with the original charging circuit.

Mike

owsnap":3q95vmlq said:
sunnybob":3q95vmlq said:
This seems reasonable compared to other sellers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER ... 2718676522

that's a good deal to you Sir? #-o I may have some tools to sell to you.. =P~
I saw bl1815 on amazon a week ago for something like a £15.80 - yes the genuine ones..

Well the bl1815 is only 1.5 amp, Bob linked to a 4amp so that's not really relevant is it :roll:

Woodmonkey":3ds5fvqx said:
owsnap":3ds5fvqx said:
sunnybob":3ds5fvqx said:
This seems reasonable compared to other sellers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER ... 2718676522

that's a good deal to you Sir? #-o I may have some tools to sell to you.. =P~
I saw bl1815 on amazon a week ago for something like a £15.80 - yes the genuine ones..

Well the bl1815 is only 1.5 amp, Bob linked to a 4amp so that's not really relevant is it :roll:

says in his link- MAKITA 18V 2.0ah BL1820

MikeJhn":3egc8aom said:
owsnap":3egc8aom said:

Or... take it apart and use the 18650 batteries at other places, such as flashlights for example.

APR18650 batteries are only 1.1Ah, but I would like to know what flashlights use them?

ANR26650 batteries on the other hand are 2.5Ah and would make a decent pack at 3.3volts/cell you need 6 to get 19.8volts, before anyone tries they are a specific size and may not fit your old casing.

An additional potential problem is their specific charging requirements and ballance leads needed, would probably make then incompatable with the original charging circuit.

Mike

the high-power chinese ones, well they are rebranded as something super duper cool here and sold for 10-15x premium here but they are still the cheap chinese high power flashlights that cost under $5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000LM-Zoomable ... SwHnFVxEmP

btw really good stuff,everyone should have one if they goy some 18650 batteries ( I just butcher all the faulty laptop/power tool batteries for them and keep a collection to use them for stuff like this or make my own stuff that needs a lot of rechargable power)

They are obviously a knock off type 18650, the genuine article is 3.3volts not the 3.7volt advised in the add.

Mike

Just to update, i received my fake battery today. Opened it up just out of curiosity and it does indeed say Samsung on the cells so that is a positive sign. Will try it out at work tomorrow.
20161123_160839-600x1067.jpg

Attachments

• 20161123_160839-600x1067.jpg
    20161123_160839-600x1067.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 792
Woodmonkey":3e3vyg3n said:
Just to update, i received my fake battery today. Opened it up just out of curiosity and it does indeed say Samsung on the cells so that is a positive sign. Will try it out at work tomorrow.
View attachment 20161123
That's a result !!! Which version did you go for in the end ?

Coley

It's a 5amp and was i think £35 compared to around £80 for s genuine. They do get quite a bit cheaper if you buy more (I saw one listing for 5x5ah for £95ish) so if it turns out to be decent I'll prob get a few more.

Back