UKIWS? (Woodturning Symposium)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gregmcateer":wk4oc1dx said:
I've no axe to grind for AWGB or UKIWS, (which reading between the lines seems to be the beginnings of a possibly disgruntled group looking to change the focus / style / management / ... of woodturning in the UK and Ireland, (happy to be corrected on this, of course)).

Hi Greg,
I don't think it's a case of there being some sort of splinter group, just some people who decided to get together and do something of their own backs.

Speaking as one of the trustees of the AWGB, our aims include promoting and developing knowledge of woodturning and events like this will have some positive outcomes on those fronts so I don't think we are in competition at all. Rather different organisations with some similar goals.

I think it would be good for people to understand how this 'symposium' has come about. Though not a regular poster to UKWORKSHOP I've been around for quite a few years and have enjoyed the forum's knowledge base. Earlier in the year, the YouTube entity that is 'Mike Waldt' announced plans to have a 'meet-up' for his youtube / Facebook followers. It's from this that the idea launched (very quickly indeed!) to create the UKIWS symposium. Mike wont stand up infront of any audience and declare himself to be an 'awesome' turner / teacher / mentor etc. He's a really down to Earth guy that has inspired many others with his passion and dedication to learning and progressing.

There are thousands of turners around the country that would benefit from shared knowledge, just as we do on this and other forums, but would probably shy away from AWGB membership and attendance as it could feel too 'professional'. Many others don't join clubs because they don't feel it's the place for them. I feel that Mike (and the other two organisers) are pitching to organise a get together for the 'common man'.

I would hope that either at this first event, or perhaps future ones, that groups like this forum (and many others) would find a place to represent theirselves, as I hope also that the AWGB would do also.

I have absolutely nothing to do with the 'Symposium', but I certainly look forward to attending and giving it my full support.

Cheers

Tom

I don't think you can say the AWGB is too "professional" because around 99% of the members are amateur hobby turners and it's them who generally run the clubs. Also, I would say the AWGB has more junior members than it does professional turners. That's another area we are trying to support.

Perhaps the images etc. on the website of good quality turnings might convey an impression of professional work but remember, a large percentage of the work shown is produced by amateurs.

Paul Hannaby":2488waa6 said:
I don't think you can say the AWGB is too "professional" because around 99% of the members are amateur hobby turners and it's them who generally run the clubs. Also, I would say the AWGB has more junior members than it does professional turners. That's another area we are trying to support.

Perhaps the images etc. on the website of good quality turnings might convey an impression of professional work but remember, a large percentage of the work shown is produced by amateurs.

Paul - it was an impression that I personally gained (I am an AWGB member) and actually I deferred joining until I felt I was 'good enough'. I don't think having something to aspire to is a bad thing, and I like what the AWGB does, but if I felt that way, then I'm sure there will be others.

Anyway, my post wasn't there to knock the AWGB, but in support of UKIWS.

Cheers

Tom

Rhossydd":374rbr1s said:
At £10/day it seems unfeasibly cheap and I can't see how they can deliver a good event at that price point.

Yowser! Is that all they're charging!?!

I hadn't seen anything about the price, but that would be incredibly good value. I might sign up my whole family and treat them to a weekend of shavings and all things tooly.

gregmcateer":1ilfmz05 said:
Rhossydd":1ilfmz05 said:
At £10/day it seems unfeasibly cheap and I can't see how they can deliver a good event at that price point.

Yowser! Is that all they're charging!?!

I hadn't seen anything about the price, but that would be incredibly good value. I might sign up my whole family and treat them to a weekend of shavings and all things tooly.
£10 tickets are an earlybird offer. The actual entry cost is £15.00 for each day

Paul Hannaby":1icgkrdq said:
Hi Greg,
I don't think it's a case of there being some sort of splinter group, just some people who decided to get together and do something of their own backs.

Speaking as one of the trustees of the AWGB, our aims include promoting and developing knowledge of woodturning and events like this will have some positive outcomes on those fronts so I don't think we are in competition at all. Rather different organisations with some similar goals.

Well that's good news and am happy to stand corrected on my interpretation.

I agree with you that anything that promotes the craft has to be a good thing.

Reading through this topic I think all the people here should get behind this project wholeheartedly. You say you want to encourage people under 45 to take up woodturning - well as someone who is now 45 and took up woodturning last year aged 44 I just about sneak in to that category.

People in their 40's, 30's and younger who want to take up a new hobby will turn to the internet for hints and advice. I would propose that the likes of Mike and Martin reach more of this target audience through their you tube channels than any other woodturner in the country. I cant speak for their woodturning skills but sometimes that is not the important point. This symposeum (eugh such an american word) is a way of channeling that energy and promoting your hobby which you all want to see.

Stop and think for a minute. The average age (according to some sources) of club members is aroubnd 65. Wood turning is not taught in many, if any, state schools and whilst the AWGB does it's best to promote and encourage sessions, training etc for youngsters it is run by a handful of volounteers. If this UKIWS effort takes off it will be because people like me and you lot get behind it and support it as much as possible. Forums like this and others are preaching to the converted and there is a dire need to get out there into the world and tell everyone how great wood turning is. Maybe if everyone here spread the word it would help. When i do 'have a go' sessions at shows I am amazed at the fact that people from the age of 50 down have never ever been on a lathe or even seen one. Like many I started off being a bit sceptical of this but have to admit that they have something that perhaps many of us lack, a desire to spread the word and reach out to non turners.

Pete

I've read all the comments on here ..... don't knock it before you try it ... its got to worth a punt at £10, or do all wood turners expect a free ride, I've been to some of these free shows over the years .... maybe that's why they don't exist any more.
Oh and before I get any knockers ..... I've been running a wood turning club for 14 years.

Turningal":10p5hcpp said:
or do all wood turners expect a free ride
My scepticism is based on how they can deliver a good event at such a low price.
There's not much fun in attending events that are so crowded that you can't see or hear what going on or don't have the resources to work properly.

I personally will do my best to encourage anyone to have a go or partake in any venture that promotes any form of creative wood use, and turning being one that can result in a quicker road to gratification than having to develop the skills of fine cabinet making, it surely lends itself to providing maximum encouragement.
I wish the organisers all the best with their efforts and hope the background work, costs and complications involved do not prove too onerous for the venture to succeed.

Having very naively tried to set in motion a yearly UKW get together with my limited facilities way back in 2007, which was in the first few subsequent years encouragingly taken on board by a few other enthusiastic members who had better suited facilities, it died as a non event for me personally when I started getting challenging communications relating to whether I or other members hosting the events had personal liability insurance, pat certified equipment etc.

On the home front, when one local family that had been pressurising to have their two children 'have a go at turning' arrived and during the briefing about not standing in line with the chucks etc. said they were OK with the risks as long as I was insured the desire to accommodate their children's enthusiasm wilted somewhat.
As an amateur turner the desire to enter the realms of formal instruction or expose myself to the modern enthusiastic compensation culture leaves me with a rather jaundiced view.

Hence my initial comments about the background costs and challenges in the first paragraph.

CHJ":2plfa2x6 said:
Having very naively tried to set in motion a yearly UKW get together ...... it died as a non event for me personally when I started getting challenging communications relating to whether I or other members hosting the events had personal liability insurance, pat certified equipment etc.
I can understand how that would be very frustrating. It's just daft to expect that sort of provision for what is basically a bunch of friends meeting in someone's house. It would be the same as asking the host of a dinner party if they have any food hygiene qualifications.

The event in Coventy will have to be on a different level though. As soon as you charge people to attend an event in a public/commercial space you become subject to all the Health and safety legislation that's required for any other professional event.

Rhossydd":1lgr3po8 said:
Turningal":1lgr3po8 said:
or do all wood turners expect a free ride
My scepticism is based on how they can deliver a good event at such a low price.
There's not much fun in attending events that are so crowded that you can't see or hear what going on or don't have the resources to work properly.

The web site refers to tickets being limited which I guess is because of the size of the venue

I wish them the best of luck in this .
A couple a things that seem a little strange though why call it a 'symposium' and not a show this could to average joe blogs seem a little elitist .
I normally go to the European woodwork show and you always get non woodworkers go , not sure how UKIWS is going to try and encourage this , its not really promoting turning to newbies if your just telling woodturners about it.

From a marketing point of view calling it the European woodturning show maybe better ? Get some pictures of completed work on the website tell potential attendees that completed works will be available to buy , maybe get some non turning activities involved .
If I didn't turn the website wouldn't encourage me to go .

As I say good luck and I'm sure the numbers through the door will be fine just not sure the event will encourage many new turners .

Back