Woodturning today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just completed a reply to a letter in the last issue of the magazine Woodturning it struck me that it would be interesting to try and get some response or reaction from this forum. I don't know if my letter will be published as I'd submitted it or if it will be edited or published at all, so I've copied my original submission below. I'd be interested in any comments whatever your view. My apologies for the length of the letter. All I've tried to do is state my thoughts and opinions as clearly as possible without ambiguity. It's not my intention to provoke slanging matches but to initiate and/or continue a constructive discusion/debate about the craft of woodturning today.

I would really be gratetful for any feedback of whatever nature.

Start of the letter:

I’ve been following the recent correspondence in this magazine and elsewhere regarding the development and future of woodturning and my initial reaction to David Thomas (Letters, Issue 183) was one of disappointment to put it mildly. Upon reflection, I realised that because woodturning has developed into such a rich and diverse craft ranging from the traditional through to the embellished and sculptural we as turners are all approaching and discussing the subject from different directions and with different agendas. With that in mind, I realised that Mr Thomas’ letter did not merit a direct response, but rather a few thoughts about the craft of woodturning today.

We have a situation where we are struggling to try to define what woodturning is whilst at the same time wanting to get woodturning accepted as an art form. At the one extreme, the craft of woodturning is seen as a traditional craft and at the other we have the embellished turned work so eloquently referred to by Mr Thomas as the arty stuff. Sir Terence Conran commented on this in his introduction to the Craft Galleries Guide 2002. “The problem that the craft industry faced in the past was the belief that you could simply continue to produce the same traditional products, with no reference to the huge changes in taste or style of life that have occurred throughout the world in the last fifty years.” He goes on to say that whilst tradition and craftsmanship are still relevant and important there is an understanding that individuality and modern technology can be used and combined as well. His comments still seem to apply to woodturning in 2008. Do we want the craft of woodturning to remain unchanged or to develop and progress?

The art verses craft issue has been around for years in all craft disciplines and to date has never been resolved. So, why as woodturners, who cannot even define our own craft, can we ever hope to define art as opposed to craft? I personally see this as a fruitless path to follow. My own view is that many confuse the idea of what is art with what is collectable. To have one’s work valued by a collector does not automatically make it art. To me craft is the work of skilled hands whereas art comes from within. Art expresses a thought, concept, or reaction about or to something. It does not necessarily have to be pleasing to view. I know of only a handful of turned pieces that, in my opinion, one could truly define as art. Having said that you could also argue that art may be an object rather than an idea. Therefore, the argument goes on.

The need to pigeonhole everything and if something does not fulfil ones’ preconceived ideas dismiss and/or ridicule it serves no purpose. Not all turned work may be to everyone’s liking. So why not forget the art versus craft debate and the pigeonholes and say there is a place for everything regardless of what you want to call it? What we need to do is celebrate the diversity and see it as a strength of woodturning.

Woodturning in the UK does have a problem with regard to the public’s perception of it. After nineteen years of turning professionally, I still have to refer to stair spindles and salad bowls to explain what I do for a living. There are the many local craft fairs, numerous craft gift shops, a number of more up market craft shows, and a relative few number of contemporary galleries exhibiting turned work. So why don’t they know what woodturning is?

I hate making over-generalizations, but the majority of the public only encounters woodturning at local craft fairs and in craft gift shops. These venues give very little opportunity for the public to see the range, quality and diversity of turning that we know as turners is possible. There is not enough variety and quality in the work for the public to gain any appreciation of what woodturning today is about and can offer.

I know the problems with this sector of the market having begun my turning career there. You have craft fair organisers who concentrate on maximising the number of stalls, selling the pitch spaces, and ignoring the quality and origin of the work exhibited. These are similar to the commercial considerations taken by craft gift shops. The aspirations of those turners selling through these outlets can be covering the stall fee or shop commission, recouping the cost of the wood used, earning a bit of pocket money, off loading excess turnings from the home and trying to make a living. I’ve heard all of these reasons and many more. In addition, you may get the part time or hobby turner under valuing their work. This may sell the work but it undervalues the skills of that turner but more importantly, it undervalues the skills of all turners and devalues the craft in the eyes of the public. The attitude that “purely ornamental work doesn’t sell because glass and ceramics beats it hands down” only adds to the situation. Why should we expect the public to be more appreciative about woodturning?

Another factor is the lack of woodturning within the educational system. Woodturning is no longer part of the school curriculum so there is little opportunity to educate future generations. There are the youth initiatives encouraged and supported by the AWGB and WCT but these are a drop in the ocean. This may be why few woodturners graduate in a craft discipline. I do not believe there was any suggestion by Ms Wright that one has to have a degree to produce worthwhile turned work, but rather the observation, with which I agree, that a graduate of a craft discipline does have two major advantages over those without a degree. Firstly, they will have a better understanding of the creative design process and of aesthetics. Secondly, and this is where it affects public awareness, their graduation shows give them exposure to proprietors of contemporary craft galleries and arts and crafts organisations who are looking for the up and coming makers of the future. If this sector of the craft industry is not introduced to woodturning at these shows, it is hardly surprising that they have so little knowledge about turning and that this is reflected in the limited amount of turned work in contemporary galleries and at shows like Origin. I know there have been direct approaches and invitations to the Crafts Council and Arts Council for various exhibitions and events but with little response.

So, where does that leave us and what should we do? Over the last nineteen years, I’ve seen a great number of positive changes but it has been frustratingly slow. The woodturning community is very insular but the majority are open and willing to share information through club meetings, demonstrations, seminars, and internet forums. We have to look outside of woodturning, and there engage the public, and educate them. This is happening to a limited extent with events such as Coombe Abbey Woodturners’ opening a new workshop centre at Coombe Abbey Country Park and the exhibitions at the Sarah Myerscough Gallery. Contemporary galleries who do not exhibit turned work are open to approach but it is hard work on an individual basis. I still have to agree with Ms Wright’s closing remark. We do need ‘outsiders’ to help us and the only relevant body that comes to mind is the Crafts Council. After considering their past support or lack of it to approaches made, I do not know how we get that help. After all, I’m only a woodturner.

PS. I don’t envy the editorial team of this magazine when it comes to deciding what to publish. I’ve been subscribing since the first issue back in 1989(?) and have lost count of the number of times comments along the lines of too much/not enough basic/arty stuff have appeared. Just compare the two letters in Issue 183. You can’t satisfy everyone all the time. For my part thank you.

End of letter.

A Happy New Year to all

A long,well-thought-out letter,Mark.
I am a subscriber to Woodturning magazine (for about 3 years),so have read most of the letters to which you refer.
I agree with basically everything you have said - the eternal art v. craft debate,the public conception (salad bowls and lightpulls),and most particularly the way woodturning/woodwork is no longer taught in a lot of schools (in case anyone hurts themselves..) - after all,knowledge only has to miss one generation to be lost forever :(

Unfortunately,can't claim to know the answers to the problems;I would like to see my hobby better promoted,but as you said,it's a very insular group that we belong to.

I wish you the best of luck,and hope your letter makes it into print.

Andrew

I think it will be a long time before woodturning will be regarded as anything other than something to do when you retire. It's an old man's hobby or a country bumkin type of thing.
It isn't taught at school, there's no high profile patronage, there's no serious attempt by any national body to promote it or encourage uptake by young people, it isn't televised, there are no well known 'characters' in the business, we scare people away from it with all the necessary safety requirements and make it uncool etc etc etc.
Until woodturning is promoted skillfully at a national level by national celebrities I think it will stay as is or dwindle further.
I have a quite a few woodturning DVD's now and while they are all very informative, the only ones I really enjoy watching and indeed my family dont mind, are the Jimmy Clewes productions. They are professionally produced, very informative and interesting and Jimmy's style is excellent. He keeps the viewer watching and awake with his humour and explanation all the way through making the difficult look easy and more importantly, leaving the viewer wanting to try, possibly even non woodturners.
Sadly Jimmy is a celebrity only in woodturning circles but even there some of the other professionals should perhaps look at their presenting techniques as some of them are pretty awful im afraid and their woodturning skills dont shine through.
Maybe Im going off topic a little but I see it as yet another part of the problem. Professional turners should present themselves professionally in my opinion and find better producers in some instances.
Bottom line for me with woodturning is that it needs professional PR, Marketing and Patronage and until then it wont matter if its called art or craft because unfortunately it's not really going anywhere at present in the UK :(
regards, beejay

Hi Mark.
I am probably just the type that you could do without, I turn basically because I like working with wood which I prefer it in it's natural state not burnt, coloured or even spalted, art or not doesn't really cross my mind although I can appreciate the skill and effort put into a nice piece of work. When I make something I just try to show the wood in it's best possible way even if the shape changes from the intended to accommodate a piece of figuring or burr as long as it is pleasing to the eye I don't care.
I will talk to a visitor about a particular piece of wood, or how it was turned, for ages as long as they are interested and if they really fall in love with something I have done I will probably give it to them, I know that's not what you want to hear either, but it is my hobby not a career.
I think it would be great for others to be able to try turning whether at school or a college or whatever but that goes for pottery carving, metalwork etc in fact anything that give you a challenge and the satisfaction of creating something but as for national recognition I don't think it matters to me.
On the other hand I can appreciate how others with a more artistic talent will turn out what they do and that professional turners need to keep up the value of the end product but it's just by opinion.
Regards
Ken

I think that wood turning is what you make it. I have always since at school loved wood. I started without realising it picking up wood from the beach or the woods, that caught my eye. Woods with their different grains have and will keep me in my new hobby of wood turning. It is just like when you get the first pull on a fishing line, wondering what kind of fish you have hooked. The process of wood turning is to me is the same. What will i find deeper in this bit of wood, what will the grain look like,ect.
This will also happen to people if the hobby was promoted more, ie put back into schools ( this is where i first go to do wood turning )and day time tv. I e-mailed Discovery home and leisure ( sky tv ) asking them if they had any plans to make any wood turning shows. They answered back to say that they did not have any plans as it was not popular viewing.

Agree with Dermot that, for me, woodturning is just something I've always wanted to do, purely for my own enjoyment. I'm probably typical of the caricature "old boy, retired, pottering in his shed", but, hey, there's quite a lot of us about and we are supposed to be the ones with the disposable income these days (hadn't noticed it, mind you :D )
Why do I enjoy it? No idea, it's just very satisfying producing something that shows off the beauty of the wood. But I also like to produce something that is at least mildly functional, not just a dust catcher.
That's all very unsatisfactory for the art turners among us, who have a greater passion, or for the professionals who have to make a living. Being defeatist, I suspect the chances of woodturning becoming a major force in either the production or leisure markets is small. But why should that matter? Again, being pragmatic, there are plenty of more than adequate lathes out there, and if it's an old man's sport, we will die off and pass these on to the next generation. Provided we can keep Ashley Iles and a few others in business making superb tools, let's just relax and enjoy :D

Mark Hancock":2og6aimz said:
Woodturning in the UK does have a problem with regard to the public’s perception of it. After nineteen years of turning professionally, I still have to refer to stair spindles and salad bowls to explain what I do for a living. There are the many local craft fairs, numerous craft gift shops, a number of more up market craft shows, and a relative few number of contemporary galleries exhibiting turned work. So why don’t they know what woodturning is? .......................

Down to the lack of 'craft' training/experience in the modern education system IMO that seems to concentrate on ticking the boxes rather than teaching how to live in this world.

Mark Hancock":2og6aimz said:
I hate making over-generalizations, but the majority of the public only encounters woodturning at local craft fairs and in craft gift shops. These venues give very little opportunity for the public to see the range, quality and diversity of turning that we know as turners is possible. There is not enough variety and quality in the work for the public to gain any appreciation of what woodturning today is about and can offer.

This to me would appear to be a matter of funding, who can afford to promote a long term not for profit display facility for the work. The bulk of the higher disposable income bracket section of society has no exposure to the subject throughout it's education phase and is accustomed to ohhing and arrrhing over a pile of bricks or something daubed by an elephant rather than appreciating manual skills.

This brings me back to the previous comment only at a higher education level, it seems to me that current higher education facilities would rather take a dozen 'media studies' students and give them a piece of paper at the end of the course fee collection phase than embark on the disciplined task of honing the skills of those that have the natural talent and drive to follow a career in the art of wood manipulation, until we can incorporate the level of instruction/guidance of the many skilled people we see highlighted in say 'Woodturning' into the higher education system with the appropriately kitted workshops I don't see us producing a generation of individuals who have any concept that there is value in the art/craft whatever you care to define it.

To me a move in the right direction would be to get the universities to recognize the standards of the master craftsmen out there trying to earn a living and incorporate them into the system so that students can have university sponsored bursary or placings be it for turning, cabinet making, boat building or whatever, then not only will they leave the system with a bit more national recognition but their fellow peers might be more appreciative of the subject.

No disrespect but i am 49 years old and i do not class wood turning as an " old man 's hobby ". :D Nor do i think of myself as an old man, ( i might look it but thats a different matter ). 8) :wink:

As i said i first tried wood turning when at secondary school in the early 70's. As most of us know there was not the same chance to follow up the hobby then. I do think that in the present day if a child had the chance to do wood turning at school, and like me at that age, got the bug, there is a lot more chance that parents could kit out a childs interest nowadays than back in the 60's or 70's. There for the hobby would not be classed as an older person hobby. :oops:
Thats my thoughts anyway.

I have to agree with everything Mark Hancock said and, to be honest, with most of what Rosemary Wright said in the letter which sparked off Mr Thomas’ response. It is undoubtedly true that a great deal of poorly turned work is offered for sale at craft fairs, and Rosemary is being kind to focus on design when often what is lacking is actually good old-fashioned craftsmanship.

As a craft-fair seller myself I used to find it annoying to be undercut by someone selling badly executed and poorly designed work. That’s until one day it dawned on me that for almost any commodity I can think of, there is a vast range of qualities available at a vast range of prices. You want a ceramic flower vase? Most markets will provide one for a couple of quid. Harrods might charge a little more. Its horses for courses, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Why then, should I get upset if someone sells work inferior to mine for prices considerably less than I charge? That’s how it should be isn’t it?

The problem arises, however, when the buyer hasn’t the ‘eye’ to distinguish well executed, well designed work from the dross; unfortunately all too often the case. I think this is the major issue that needs tackling and maybe that’s what Rosemary was getting at too.

I also think beejay is spot on when he points out the lack of patronage, promotion or public awareness, but those who attribute these deficiencies largely to the fact that woodturning is no longer taught in schools are, I think, mistaken. The reason it isn’t taught any more is that it’s a largely redundant skill, not vice versa. Everyone feels that schools should teach this or that – whatever their own particular interest is, but generally schools are designed to teach the skills required by the society current at the time. Sadly, nowadays, this doesn’t include woodturning. We are a plastic, cardboard, mdf, and chipboard mass-production, throw away society whether you like it or not. Schools used to teach knitting and sewing, but when did you last knit a pullover or darn a pair of socks? Or, more to the point, when did you last feel regret that you lacked these skills? I accept that some people do still knit and sew, and they are rightfully proud of the skills they have, but realistically, like woodturning, it’s never going to make a national comeback as anything other than a hobby.

So what’s the answer? Well, I’m not sure there is one except to keep striving to make high quality work, whether you call it ‘arty stuff’ or not, and then offer it for sale at prices that truly reflect the design and making skills which have gone into producing it. I’m not often challenged on price, but when I am I don’t fall back on totting up the time taken, the wood costs, electricity and so on. Although these overheads are all covered, my price is largely based on the fact that I have the skill to make whatever item might be the subject of discussion and the challenger (I always assume) doesn’t. Skill has its premium and that’s what the buyer pays for. If there are enough of us producing high quality stuff to counterbalance the poor quality stuff, eventually the message may get through, but I fear there are no easy answers.

Bob

Hello Mark.
I too have been following the last few months comments in Woodturning,and must admit i feel as though if it does go the arty route than woodturners would be seperated as those doing the usual items,bowls,goblets,pens,etc,and those producing the Arty stuff,whatever the Arty stuff is.
Why has it got to go down the Art route to get recognition.
If it hasn't been recognised now after all these years by turners producing the usual stuff,i just can't see how by doing more Arty items it will get more recognition.
I think it needs to be televised more to get interest.Just look at what Norm has done for woodwork.In fact his show is the only televised programme i've seen that shows woodturning on a regular basis,well used to.
As for the craft coming back into schools,i just can't see it,not when you get pupils throwing chisels at each other just for fun,and grinding sanding discs down with chisels,just to see the sparks.
Yet my youngest daughter,9 years old loved it when she had a go last summer.
I think people do see woodturning as a retired persons hobby,turning out work in a shed at the bottom of the garden just for something to do.Which is how most of us do do it.Perhaps if we could get sheds to be renamed as studios than it might sound better.
Very difficult to suggest a way of doing it :?
Hope some of this makes sense.
Paul.J.

Bob Chapman":29ie0ya0 said:
........ The reason it isn’t taught any more is that it’s a largely redundant skill, not vice versa. Everyone feels that schools should teach this or that – whatever their own particular interest is, ......

Everyone :!: :!: rather strong that. Although there may now be very little use for the chair bodger in our society I firmly believe there are many individuals leaving our education system that would be better served by giving them the experience of disciplined creation, whatever the medium than extolling the acquisition of ever more bits of paper.

I know when I was in a position to employ someone their ability to do the job ranked far higher than the grades on their bits of paper, I'm all for anyone getting as good an education as possible, it enhances their choices later in life, but an individual leaving the education system with the self perception of being a failure because they could not make the paper grades does no one any favours.

Bob Chapman":29ie0ya0 said:
but generally schools are designed to teach the skills required by the society current at the time. Sadly, nowadays, this doesn’t include woodturning. .................Bob

Nor does it appear to include a great deal of other social or practical skills such as reasonable behavior, how to prepare your own basic food, care for the expensive designer clothing, etc.
How on earth is any individual expected to obtain a perception of worth/quality in their formative years unless they are given the oportunity of trying to do it themselves or experience others doing it.

'fraid my last comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do feel we have to recognise the reality of our situation. The ceramic vase analogy is an excellent one - the market for the Harrods version will always be small but very profitable for a few. There will always be a few who will want to buy beautifully executed craft products, but there's not enough of them to employ many turners on a serious basis.
What I do think we, as a turning community (though I hate to use that overworked word) must do is to ensure that the largest number of people possible get the opportunity to see what turning is about, to try it for themselves and see if that kindles enthusiasm, allows them to express themselves in some way or maybe, very much maybe, encourages them to become professionals. Whatever we may think of Norm, if he sparks an interest among viewers, that has to be good. And if the interest is kindled, we should never do anything that dampens it. Keep up the numbers, the Ashley Iles of this world will continue to have a market, and turning skills will at least be preserved.
I agree with many of the criticisms of the current education system. Having escaped (and I mean, escaped) from working in higher education, I am appalled at the way that the whole education system has to pander to "demand", itself a supposedly a response to short term employment prospects. But however much we dislike the fact, there is no way that any HE institution could dream of putting on a specialist turning degree. Even in the Technology Faculty I used to work in it was difficult enough getting the funds to put on a course for big numbers of takers, let alone for a handful.
So let's encourage the hobbyists, and keep the craft alive.

dickm":19ccni3m said:
.........But however much we dislike the fact, there is no way that any HE institution could dream of putting on a specialist turning degree. Even in the Technology Faculty I used to work in it was difficult enough getting the funds to put on a course for big numbers of takers, let alone for a handful.

This I appreciate is the reality of current funding methods, but having had the good fortune to have done my higher education and training in a system that was not bound by the immediate costs* but was more intent on producing the countries next batch of innovators I can but hope that one day in the future someone will have the savvy to offer similar funding via the OU or whatever to place gifted craft individuals in the best environment for them to gain knowledge.

*But whose overall costs were set against the benefit to the nation, and were well within the costs incurred each year from the unfortunate accidental loss of the odd military aircraft.

But I digress from the original theme, how do we promote the skills of the serious 'Woodworker' let alone the sub species of 'Turner' to a public at large that is happy to accept mass produced throw away items that they can continue to pay mortgage on 25 years after it is binned.

WOW. I wasn't expecting such a response. Thank you to all for taking the time.

Ken,
I am probably just the type that you could do without
I was trying to aim at all woodturners be they hobbyists or professional. As I see it, they all have a place and role to play in raising the profile of turning. In addition without all of us I suspect there would not have been the development in tools and equipment over the last 15 years. Tool suppliers need the interest/demand and market to continue in business. This is illustrated by the demise of some woodworking shows.

Bob,
Its horses for courses, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Why then, should I get upset if someone sells work inferior to mine for prices considerably less than I charge? That’s how it should be isn’t it?
How do they know it's inferior without being informed? I've no problem with choice and variety if differences are recognised. Sometimes those differences aren't recognised by the turners themselves hence my comments regarding the craft fair market and the reasons some sell there.
The problem arises, however, when the buyer hasn’t the ‘eye’ to distinguish well executed, well designed work from the dross; unfortunately all too often the case. I think this is the major issue that needs tackling
This was exactly the point I was trying to get across. With the lack of woodturning in the education system those who know about the craft ie woodturners whatever their status have a role to play in educating the public.

Paul J,
Why has it got to go down the Art route to get recognition
I'm not suggesting it does. Woodturning is now a very diverse craft and that's what makes it so exciting today. It should all be celebrated and promoted as a whole right from the bodger's bowls and spindles to the sculptural work.

Mark,

I hope your letter makes it into the magazine. You've made some very good points.

I've been discussing this with various people over the past few months. My original thoughts have changed based on some very good arguments made by others.

I now believe we need to push woodturning in all areas. By doing this we will all benefit. I don't believe we should push in any one area before another. We need young people to bring their fresh minds to the craft. We need galleries to take the work so that the talented young turners can further their craft. We need the public to buy more items and recognise the difference between a salad bowl and a fantastic piece of art. It doesn't make sense to just push in one area before the others.

My main view is that we need younger people (not kids) to do this pushing. They have much greater enthusiasm and far fewer inhibitions. They are our future.

Dave

I don't think that any amount of discussion on these forums will make a great deal of difference, the fact is that until we can make the industry :?: more attractive than the internet chat rooms and playstations and the like there is little hope of promoting the craft.
I have a 16 year old stepson who will play warcraft 18 hours a day and a 13 year old stepdaughter who once showed about 15 minutes interest in a scroll saw but that's it. anything that requires any effort at all is met with resistance at best.
The future lies in making woodworking more attractive than designer clothes and computing.
Don't hold your breath :(

Richardhw":33zd4s6j said:
I don't think that any amount of discussion on these forums will make a great deal of difference, the fact is that until we can make the industry :?: more attractive than the internet chat rooms and playstations and the like there is little hope of promoting the craft.
I have a 16 year old stepson who will play warcraft 18 hours a day and a 13 year old stepdaughter who once showed about 15 minutes interest in a scroll saw but that's it. anything that requires any effort at all is met with resistance at best.
The future lies in making woodworking more attractive than designer clothes and computing.
Don't hold your breath :(

I sort of agree and disagree with what you say. At present througth reading internet forums and the Woodturning magazine there appears to be some sort of conflict within the woodturning community about what woodturning is about. Until there is some sort of consensus among woodturners how can we hope to address the issues with the public?

With regard to engaging youngsters, it is very hard. I also have 4 step children with only one who has shown some interest. Having said that they have had no knowledge of woodturning through their schooling. To correct this situation whenever I'm demonstrating at an event I try to encourage youngsters to have a go. I recently did an event with Classic Hand Tools and I was tryng to encourage the kids to have go but the problem was the height of the lathe. I don't recall why but I remembered seeing David Ellesworth sitting on the lathe bed to hollow out a form. I put a cloth over the lathe bed and sat them there. I ended up with children queuing up for another go on the lathe. So there is hope If you wish to help and encourage it.

Its very sad .. but its unfortunately a reflection on today's society ...
We'll never see something like woodturning being resurrected in schools - We ( I mean the UK in general ), have allowed our entire culture to become based on the 'where there's blame, there's a claim' mentality -- and as a direct result, anything carrying even the remotest risk of anything more than a papercut to our now 'cotton-wooled offspring' will be cast aside and subsequently very quickly forgotten.

You know that saying.. "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" ? - well, -- falling directly upon my own sword - I read the above and specifically the bit about putting youngsters onto the the lathe-bed to allow access to 'have a try' as it were..... an act which should be applauded and commended, but sadly, and I feel so despondant about this.. my immediate thought was " hope you got good public liability insurance, for when the somewhat inevitable blame/claim thing happens". Isn't it such a poor indictment on our society, that this is what comes immediately to ones mind ?

I'm not the oldest on here, at (newly) 43, and not the youngest either, I'm sure.... but certainly within the memory of my working lifetime - Great Britain was a world centre of excellence in many many fields... but we've allowed ourselves to be 'legislated out of existence', with nonsenses like 'Risk Assesments' and the whole bizarre 'QA/H&S Industry' .. where we can all see the most risky part of anyones job is driving to your work in the morning.. and consequently have basically lost our entire manufacturing base... and lost it forever.
I can't honestly think of ANY sphere where the UK is a 'World Centre of Excellence' now, and really... thats nothing short of disgraceful, when you think about it.
We gave the world so much... and up until relatively recently too.
What happened ?

We'll not see skills like turning or similar engineering-based 'real' disciplines ever being officially taught to our youngsters ever again... and its so sad.
Still, as long as we can turn out dozens of kids with Media Studies Diplomas from our colleges - then successive Governments seem to be happy with that :-k

Hi all
I`ve been reading Marks posting and subsequent replies with interest regarding what appears to be a `lack of interest` (if I understand the jist of it all?) in woodturning. I have just attended the monthly meeting at my local woodturning club in York and there must have been 80+ members present,which is the norm with even talk of having to look at bigger future venues. Now I suppose it could be that this is the sum total of wood turners in the York area and no more are interested in which case the future of the hobby is indeed in dire straits but this seems to be the case with many other crafts. A recent chat with a very talented glass/ceramic artist who was turning out some first class stuff but couldn`t practically give them away as people just don`t seem interested in `hands on` work these days.
I might add that only one youngster was present at our meeting who was most probably a members son. My point to this reply? Its not just woodturning suffering a drop in people taking up the hobby but like anything in this world it will keep going if the demand is there although my efforts in trying to get local colleges to run courses has fallen on deaf ears.
Just my bit
Steve

Just a couple of words...

Market Forces

There's always a place for exceptional quality turning; unfortunately the public are all too familiar with questionable quality treen at knock down prices produced by well meaning hobby turners... small wonder that they expect no more than that!

Back