UK power sockets outside UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyS

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening,

Would it be ok to use sockets such as the one below outside of the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electri...=Plugs+and+Sockets&qid=1682286533&sr=8-9&th=1

Since I bought several power tools from the UK, it stands to reason that I install a couple of wall sockets of the UK type rather than using plug adapters which I'm not sure would be safe to use with equipment such as a 3 1/2 hp router. I've seen that some of your wall sockets also have built-in fuses which for us easterners is unexpected. Please share an opinion on the matter.

When I bought tools and equipment that had the UK plug, I cut the plugs off and installed a Schuko plug compatible with German sockets. For me, this is much easier than trying to convert my electrical distribution to match one or two devices.

When I bought tools and equipment that had the UK plug, I cut the plugs off and installed a Schuko plug compatible with German sockets. For me, this is much easier than trying to convert my electrical distribution to match one or two devices.
Err, agree, but there is a bit more to the story. Truth be told, the quality of the wall sockets here is bad. It's not that bad if you use household equipment. But for power tools and machinery it's very very bad. If there are good and reliable ones I haven't found them and I already invested a lot in replacing electrical stuff. So I thought of shooting two birds and getting myself some better pieces of electrical fittings.

It's your shop and your equipment, so you can decide what's best for you. If I was starting with a blank slate and had my choice of any connector in the world, the UK style would not be on the list.

You wrote about fuses in the sockets. The fuses are actually in the cable plugs because the UK residential electrical distribution uses a 32A ring and relies on smaller (13A ?) fuses in the cable plug for oveload protection. What you see on the wall plate is a switch for the outlet. This drove me nuts the first time I worked in the UK. Someone had removed the fuses from all of the power cords and I had never seen fused power cords.

Someone had removed the fuses from all of the power cords and I had never seen fused power cords.
That's messed up. I get how this works, still to me it's different. Only watching forums and videos from the UK and US I started hearing about this system. In my country you don't hear about (and electric tools are not classified by) amperage. There must be some core differences somewhere along the power grid. We have the overload protection built in the main electrical panel. It covers the entire circuit of the property and its the same everywhere.
If I was starting with a blank slate and had my choice of any connector in the world, the UK style would not be on the list.
If you would start with a blank slate and had your choice of any connector in the world, which would that connector be?

@MikeK - there are a variety of sizes of fuses - 2A, 5A, 13A - depending on what device is.

For OP - what does your house insurance policy say? That would be my number one issue.

Otherwise, my order of preference would be 1) as Mike says - change the plugs 2) see if you can get BS1363 sockets that are approved (Legrand do them in France, for example) and only 3) adapters and then make sure they are proper ones and not cheap travel adapters rated for only 5A.

I have this issue three ways - UK, French and Swiss!

How long before the thread turns into a radial vs ring discussion?

You don't have multiple individual circuit breakers and fuses on your main panel ?
Problem with radial in France is that then they daisy chain multiple 3.5kw blocks off each radial 13 or 16 amp outlet.That and "les sparkies" or architects seem to think that two outlets per room is sufficient, then the builders pour the concrete over the "gaines" so the new build owners will have their TVs or washing machines where the architect thinks they should, or run cables and multi prise blocks.

Having had the UK system ( plugs and sockets ) when I lived there, I'd rather have Schuko, I'm currently rewiring this house ( here you can do your own, and get it "signed off" ), but each room is also getting fibre optic junctions,"combo" mains and low current ( usb outlets ), compressed air outlets and shielded cable internet.FTTH hasn't got here yet.I'm also putting in a much bigger junction and breaker box than is usual, and allowing for an eventual leccy car connection.

We were 3 phase ( would have liked to keep it ) but when EDF decided to bury the cables they removed the option, so now the 3 phase stuff I have has been rewired to "fake 3 phase" with start capacitors. VFGs here are a stupid price.

Last edited:
I worked for a Finnish company that had a facility in Ireland. Their meeting rooms in Ireland had some euro style electrical sockets and their meeting rooms in Finland had some UK style electrical sockets. When staff went on a visit from one location to another they could always plug in their laptops etc.

Changing a UK plug to a euro plug is not always possible - many chargers etc have the plug built in so they cannot be changed. So in my office at home office my solution is to change the plug on a UK multi-way extension lead. I can plug this in to a local outlet and then plug in multiple UK appliances.

It's your shop and your equipment, so you can decide what's best for you. If I was starting with a blank slate and had my choice of any connector in the world, the UK style would not be on the list.

You wrote about fuses in the sockets. The fuses are actually in the cable plugs because the UK residential electrical distribution uses a 32A ring and relies on smaller (13A ?) fuses in the cable plug for oveload protection. What you see on the wall plate is a switch for the outlet. This drove me nuts the first time I worked in the UK. Someone had removed the fuses from all of the power cords and I had never seen fused power cords.
Living in Italy, where we have Shuko and 2 other types of plug, I have to have no end of adapters to suit every occasion. I have installed 13A UK sockets in various places throughout the house so that any device that has the powersupply built into the plug can be plugged straight in. I'd definitely use UK 13A if I had the choice simply so I didn't spend so much time messing with adapters.
I have yet to find a decent Schuko plug here I can use to replace a removed 13A UK plug.

I have a UK metal body socket box with a short length of EUro plug cable screwed to the wall, that I can plug directly in to the mains here for work in the workshop. I have a couple of UK multi socket extension leads that I have changed the plug on so that things that I buy in the UK for the house can be used here in Cz.

Good evening,

Would it be ok to use sockets such as the one below outside of the UK?

A couple of considerations:

Is the backbox in the wall or pattress box screwed to the wall compatible with the UK size?

Random image of dimensions, backbox is circa 74mm square for single and 133mm x 74mm for double.

1682317730078.png

The one to which you link on Amazon has USB outlets integrated. Personally I steer clear of these as when they go wrong, you have to replace the whole thing rather than a plug in USB power adapter.

In addition, because they have the USB stuff within the socket, the bit buried in the wall is bulky. This means the backbox needs to be deep enough for it to fit. In the UK, you might have up to nine 2.5mm^2 cores entering the backbox and finding space for these and the USB gubbins is difficult on a shallow box.

Anl Uk extension lead with euro plug would be the easiest way.

Make sure it's unwound if using big power tools!

I like the extension leads with sockets that take all different plug types. I often have kit from China, US, EU and U.K. for my work. Just ensure the voltage is supported before you use it. MS ASDF26 UK to USA Travel Extension Lead 4 Way Power Strip Universal Socket Plug With 1.8M Power Cord-White https://amzn.eu/d/1ZhTzEb

You can also get wall plates that do this too

Buwei Multifunction UK 13A Wall Socket Push Button 2.1A Double USB Charging Ports Three-hole Two-hole Home Wall Outlet Button https://amzn.eu/d/6irXfRc

My personal preference is that plugs and sockets need to be physically robust enough to do a reliable job. The USA and France were the worst on average of the places I've worked. The schuko style used in many countries is probably the best compromise.
The UK plug is more bulky than ideal, but at least it's solid. I won't defend the ring main and fused cord concept. It's a historical leftover.
I have a schuko socket on the front of my shop vac so I don't cut the schuko plugs off any tools I buy. I just have a few adapter leads and also find it handy to have a couple of schuko outlets in my shop.
If this is for workshop use, why not the 16A blue CE plug ? This is probably approved across most of the world.

If you would start with a blank slate and had your choice of any connector in the world, which would that connector be?

Right now, it would be Schuko.

@MikeK - there are a variety of sizes of fuses - 2A, 5A, 13A - depending on what device is.

Fair point. I should have said up to 13A.

I have this issue three ways - UK, French and Swiss!

Ouch! I was traveling between Germany, Belgium, and Italy every month for four years with my gear in tow. I had several power cords for each country.

How long before the thread turns into a radial vs ring discussion?

:oops: The new sharpening topic?

Living in Italy, where we have Shuko and 2 other types of plug, I have to have no end of adapters to suit every occasion.

I learned this when I broke a receptacle trying to put a Schuko plug into it. The contact spacing on one of the Italian versions is slightly different than the Schuko plug. When we renovated a 15K square foot facility, we ripped out all of the existing electrical infrastructure and installed real Schuko receptacles.

I have yet to find a decent Schuko plug here I can use to replace a removed 13A UK plug.

I was in Vicenza and went to the Leroy Merlin for Schuko plugs and receptacles. They also had plenty of the Italian versions, but I took a power cord with me to make sure I bought what I needed.

Problem with radial in France is that then they daisy chain multiple 3.5kw blocks off each radial 13 or 16 amp outlet.That and "les sparkies" or architects seem to think that two outlets per room is sufficient, then the builders pour the concrete over the "gaines" so the new build owners will have their TVs or washing machines where the architect thinks they should, or run cables and multi prise blocks.
The regulations in France are a maximum of twelve sockets off 2.5mm and eight off 1.5mm, minimum number of sockets is determined by the square meterage of the room, all cables to one circuit to be the same c/s, only eight MCB's per RCD, most white goods are on their own MCB, personally I used RCBO's on most of the white goods especially those in the Bathroom.

This is a useful resource for French electrics: Norme électrique NF C 15-100, la réglementation d'une installation électrique.. Scroll to the bottom and all electrical details are explained. Also this book: L'installation électrique - David Fedullo , Thierry Gallauziaux -... - Librairie Eyrolles

Last edited:
Did you actually find many that stuck to the regs..
New build some do yes, ( depending on where you are ) as EDF inspect before they connect.Renovation and conversions, not so much IME , as EDF don't get involved.
Place going up a 100metres from me most definitely isn't adhering to any regs.The most obvious being that here everything must be connected to mains sewage or septic tank with "epandage".We never thought that the ground could be used for housing as impossible to connect to mains sewage, and not enough land for septic tank etc.
It has been approved with a "puit perdu" ( hole in the ground where the carp etc goes ).I was curious and have a full copy of the plans with the authorisation clearly marked "puit perdu", I know 3 people in the commune ( including the nearest house to me ) whose "puit perdu" had to be converted ( less than 5 years ago ) at great expense to mains sewage system connected because of "les regs".
The rules haven't changed, just the person that can authorise what gets built has.

French sockets and plugs used to be good quality, now the DIY outlets ( brico depot, leroy merlin etc ) stock the good stuff, along side the cheaper that will fall apart or short out if you look at it sideways, all carry the requisite approval markings.French Trading standards offices have been so cut back that the last time I phoned our local one ( St Brieuc ) , I was told that I now have to phone a national "plateforme", the number I was given tells you "this number is no longer in service" and gives no alternative. My neighbour ( en face ) is a recently retired trading standards and hygene inspection officer , he tells me that in most counties, including ours , there are only 3 or 4 inspectors , and no office staff.thus many places and buildings will never get checked out, unless there is a complaint, or they fall down, or someone gets poisoned by a mouldy pizza etc.

A lady further down our private road had no breaker / fuse box at all, just the leccy meter and some connection blocks attached directly to the incoming cables.EDF had been reading her meter for decades, no one was bovvered.

When we bought this house, the earth line was attached to the incoming gas pipe in the kitchen, ( gas and electric done by a "highly qualified" local artisan ) there was no other earth line.As I rewire, I'm constantly finding live cables buried in the plasterwork ( I'm removing all the plaster from all walls ), or cut off flush with it ( but still "live" ) and plastered over where sockets have been "cancelled" , and cables clipped to the walls and over doors to go somewhere else.Our bathroom had 13 amps ( socket with no earth ) available 20 cms from the hand basin and 60cms from the shower curtain, no breaker or fuse on that line at "the box". "Les regs"..they've heard of them.

Last edited:
I would say that you need to use the equipment that is used by that country, the UK is odd in that we have switched sockets with a fuse in the plug because the socket is all to often protected by a 32 amp device. If in France they are only using 2.5mm cable and a limit on the number of sockets then the protective device will be lower and no fused plug required. @MikeJhn using RCBO's is a good choice, it is all I would fit and it gets rid of the two RCB's so you have individual circuit protection for both current and residual.

Is France the same voltage and frequency as the UK ? Also more important is the means of protection, we have the three pin plugs but again something quirky to the UK and so how is the protection done in France, do they have a full supply to the property of Live, Neutral and Earth or do they use a shared neutral ?

Majority stuck to the Regs in my experience, but then I only worked on ex-pat house's and a few locals, seems I was the only person in the area that had an earth spike tester.

Septic tank Regulations all changed in 2012 when the EU told France to clean up its act and stop discharging into rivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back