UJK Router Lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
Having given it a good inspection at Harrogate today I am going to upgrade to a UJK Router table. I currently have a self built one and use a Trend T11K which means I can adjust the height from above the table.

The Axminster chap felt I would be better to go for the UJK Router loft as opposed to drilling the plate ... I would welcome any views or thoughts anyone has on the matter?

Thanks

There are some previouse discussions in the forums. One thing I wasn't really aware of before I bought my lift is that you are limited to certain router models that fit on the lift. You might be ok with your t11k but I had to buy another router (dewalt 625) in the end to use for the lift.

I would not be without my UJK router lift all adjustments including locking of height done above the table, you will need a chuck extender to comfortably carry our bit changes, I recommend the Muscle Chuck, tried three others before I found the Muscle Chuck.

MikeJhn":26u7ehei said:
I would not be without my UJK router lift all adjustments including locking of height done above the table, you will need a chuck extender to comfortably carry our bit changes, I recommend the Muscle Chuck, tried three others before I found the Muscle Chuck.
Would a Muscle Chuck make my router 1/2" collet extension redundant, do I have to buy a collet to fit in the Muscle Chuck or anything else?
Thanx.

I see there are also the Eliminator RC Quick Change Chucks. They looks very much the same and quite a bit cheaper. https://routercutter.co.uk/eliminator-r ... nge-chucks

Also found out, " For the benefit of those who don't know, what is now known as the "Elininator" was invented by the same John DeRosa who designed the MUSCLECHUCK but sold the patent some time ago. "

Don't forget, if you buy the Eliminator you have to pay postage, import duty, VAT and handling charge, I should think this would bring the price very close to the MuscleChuck if buying in the UK, buying anything from the Wood Workers Workshop is always without hassle and a no quibble guarantee.

On your previous link it came up as dollars on my laptop, but as you say if available at that price and of the same manufacturing standard, there is no contest, good find, may have to get another for one of my other Routers.

There you go then, bargain buy :)
Why pay more for the same thing, if you don't have to.

Its not the same thing. The locking mechanism is completely different. the musclechuck is more robust and accurate.
but its your money, spend it where you will.

Bob, looking at the picture and reading the description they look the same?

I dont own either of these, but I have been following this exact same thread on a usa site that I believe is by the same person. Theres a guy in australia (I know, around the world in 20 seconds) who is acknowledged expert on muscle chucks and according to him on many posting threads the difference is in the locking mechanism. The cheaper one has a cam that can actually cut into the bit if overtightened. the musclechuck has a much more refined system.
The Inventor of both sold the patent for the earlier one and went onto make the muscle chuck.

Many americans sing the praise of the musclechuck loud and long. Theres a deafening silence regarding the other, but I repeat, I dont own either, as I dont need it on my table.

Bob, thanks for the explanation, I do have the Muscle Chuck and its a very good Router extension piece, I have used it extensively without any problems, highly recommended.

My router table is my second most used tool after the bandsaw, and I have been considering a musclechuck for a couple of years now, avidly reading all comments and becoming an armchair expert. :roll:
But I just cant justify buying one because i can access all bits from above the table and have never run out of elevation yet.
maybe its my Makita router that makes bit changing easy. :D

I assume that you use two spanners to change bits, with the MuscleChuck it one hex key, so easy and quick, I am not getting any younger and need an easy life now days. (hammer)

Nope. the makita uses a spring loaded push button lock. i cut a round hole out of the base plate to give access from above and use a depth stop bar from a defunct router to push the button in while using the spanner with the other hand. So simple and quick that I can not justify the musclechuck, no matter how much I want a new toy (oops, TOOL) :roll: :D

Sounds like a lot of faffle using two tools, only one tool with the MuscleChuck, now come on you know you want one. :lol:

Back