UJK products - who has stock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my router table, and have pretty much decided on the UJK kit....( cast iron table, router lift, dust box) however, everywhere seems to be out of stock - Axminster sau 1 -2 months, and all seems to be "available to order" ( with similar lead times I imagine? ) at Peter Seftons store.

Does anyone know where I can buy now ? Patience not being one of my virtues.......!

Cheers, Mark

Pop onto brimarc and check the stockists list and have a ring around. Someone may have some left fr last year

Axminster High Wycombe have them in stock according to their web site.
That's just 30 miles from central London.

markturner":27o2leks said:
OK thanks guys, I did not realize the stores stock was shown elsewhere....

When you click on an item on the Axi site, under the price section you will see a blue man and a link to check stock at stores. ;)

Rhossydd":2auzt0kq said:
Axminster High Wycombe have them in stock according to their web site.
That's just 30 miles from central London.

and if you ring up, i think that they will send it out to you as normal. probably takes an extra day for it to go back via the central depot.

I am not sure if you have seen the Incra stuff, but worth checking out.

I invested 7-8 years ago in the 45 quid plate from Rutlands, it was never quite perfect and being new to woodworking I kinda thought "oh well, that will be okay". I then had some more recent issues with the plate and my home made table too, whilst doing beaded face frames. I bought a proper engineering straight edge, that has been so helpful for setting my planer, and table saw too. Sadly it demonstrated the router plate was as flat as Wales, so I got an Incra.

Moral of the story, if you have a few quid spare (as you do as UKJ isn't cheap) just go out and buy the best, as you will spend time actually making things rather than hours fettling things.

A precision engineer will demand a cast-iron worktop for a router table.

Then they will get out their micrometers and measure it down to thousandths of an inch.

Then they will complain because it isn't flat enough.

The rest of us will have made our project already using an MDF worktop and will be having a beer.

It's wood. It will move. I cannot understand the fixation on ultimate accuracy that some seem to have.

None of the craftsman of the past had Incra's etc and it didn't seem to bother them. Yet they turned out beautiful stuff.

Just my two penn'orth

RogerS":1h71nh6m said:
A precision engineer will demand a cast-iron worktop for a router table.

Then they will get out their micrometers and measure it down to thousandths of an inch.

Then they will complain because it isn't flat enough.

The rest of us will have made our project already using an MDF worktop and will be having a beer.

It's wood. It will move. I cannot understand the fixation on ultimate accuracy that some seem to have.

None of the craftsman of the past had Incra's etc and it didn't seem to bother them. Yet they turned out beautiful stuff.

Just my two penn'orth

Coz they used the old adages like "If your joints don't quite fit ..fill 'em up with glue and schit"

@ Roger, I completely agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I would love the time to develop the kind of skill that many past craftsman demonstrated. I trained as a Chartered Accountant though, so nothing practical related and many of us that are not in this for money want be to be able to get good results fairly quickly. I guess that's what some of this stuff is aimed at, as being fair, it's down to being methodic and careful rather than real skill when you use some of this stuff.

Despite this, if you do have your kit set up well, and to within some sensible tolerances, at least it's one less thing that can go wrong when you're doing something.

Bit disappointed reading this thread as I own a UKJ router lift and am ordering a 10mm router plate too. Wanted to add the cast iron table at some point too when funds and space allow it.

My router lift plate is definitely nice and flat and is a really nice piece of kit that I hope lasts a long time, so their products are not all bad. The one thing to be wary on with this lift and some of the other lifts is that they are very router specific, so you must be careful if your router fits. And you can't trust the literature 100%. I looked at the incra and woodpecker lifts too but they didn't have any versions for my routers. Even the UKJ router lift doesn't fit one of my routers (Bosch 2000ce) so choice is very limited if you already own a router you want to put in.

UKJ seems to be a brand manufactured by Axminster. That is their spec, Asian manufacture, high price to increase profitability. Looking at them there is little to no value in them.

Have a look here for a neat build it yourself lift.....http://www.woodgears.ca

Try various Youtube videos for router plate making.

I use the woodgears lift that I made and it works great, is accurate and reliable.

Al

Back