UJK Alluminium Router Table Insert Plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased the 6mm aluminium router insert place from Axminster:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... rod888888/

It looks to be good quality, BUt this middle insert ring doesn't sit perfectly level with the rest of the plate once tightened. I may contact Axminster about this to see if it can be resolved but for now it shouldn't be an issue. It's fairly flat, not precision flat but for my purposes I don't think it'll make any difference to the results. I was expecting the plate to me flatter though to be honest.

My next question, it came with an A4 clear transparency sheet with several red circles printed onto it with 7 intertsecting lines on, I assume this is to help when drilling for the routers position but I have no idea how to use it, can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

Regarding the middle ring, just be a bit careful when routing as even the smallest difference in height can catch your workpiece either on the way into the cutter or on the way out.
I have a Rutlands table and insert plate and whilst the rings fit very well, if I forget to check the level of the insert plate against the table, the workpiece can often just stop - and of course rather than just stopping things, there is a tendency just to nudge the workpiece over the bump which isn't the cleverest things to do with a rotating cutter!

Your transparency will be to use as a template for mounting your router. You need to establish which are the mounting holes on your router (you may need to remove the base first) and you mark these on the transparency and then transpose onto the plate for drilling. Check your router instructions as most will have details for mounting in a table.

Hello,

The router plate is officially.. NOT FLAT! haha I have found it's quite bowed over but the insert rings are not the problem. I paid over £45 for it so I'm not particularly happy it's quite far from being flat.

Does aluminium move much? I'm thinking maybe temperatures/humidity, could that be an issue? I checked it straight out of the packaging but I'm just curious as to why it would happen?

marcros":1b3te2om said:
send it back.

I plan on it! I appreciate axminsters great customer service, but I'm having such a bad run of luck with my purchases. I'm just interested if people think that maybe the temperature changes on it's way to me could have caused some distortion of the surface?

sorry, that was maybe a bit blunter than i meant it to be.

I would be surprised in a normal workshop- 6mm plate must take some bending. The phenolic ones are known to sag over time, but that is the weight of the router causing that. I would guess that you just got a bad one.

Might be worth asking that they check it before sending out a replacement.

Thanks, They've been great as usual, I checked my straight edges against a AAA flat plate the other day and it's definitely the insert plate that's warped. I believe they're sending me out a replacement which I'll check the second it arrives.

The replacement is even worse! The replacement is also quite dipped on the face you would mount the router to, so if anything it will get worse with the weight of the router hanging from it.

How flat should these be expected to be? They cost £46 and are 6mm thick aluminium, they're nicely finished but if there's no better alternative I'll have to stick with on these here. Am I being too picky or should these be pretty close to flat?

If it's not flat it's always going to cause you problems. Send it back and perhaps try a different make.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The incra one might be worth looking at- not sure what the price is now, they were never cheap though. Even the phenolic ones are flatter than those 2 that you have had though, to start with.

Just before our group buy a year or more back, I asked a local machine shop for a price out of 10mm plate. IIRC it was less than 46 for a one off, including several rings made from 4mm plate. Might be worth making a sketch and contacting a couple of local machine shops. I found that the old places that were a bit oily and had been around for decades were more receptive than modern units. The drawings for the group buy will be on the forum somewhere if you search.

Thanks guys, I'm going to be returning both for a refund unless they can check one before sending it. Not looking to spend more than £45 so I don't see another aluminium model available? The kreg inert is probably my next best option?

Peter

Really glad see to you are taking over the brands that Woodworkers Workshop used to import. Although Roger had a great range he could be a little eccentric to deal with.

Are you planning to bring in a wider range of Woodpeckers kit, such as say the 12" Precision square..? Order waiting if you do.

Sorry for the hijack...

Sorry I will have to check the price and get back to you when I am back in the office tomorrow, These plates are just shy of 10mm, can you fit that in your set up :?: they are available plain or pre drilled to suit the router, what model do you have :?:
Apologies they are not on the website we are working on adding all the products :oops:
Cheers Peter

No problem! It's a triton TRA 001. I'm going to try a piece of worktop laminate for my router table so 10mm should be fine! Thanks

Hi Guys,

The INCRA Router Plate is £85 and includes three metal inserts that are held in place with magnets so no special tool required to screw swap them. The maximum opening is far bigger than the UJK so more suitable for raised panel bits etc.

I will report back on the plate number for the TritonTRA 001.

If anyone knows if the Triton TR001 uses a common fixture pattern from one of the other manufacturers that would be help me with working out the correct fixture.

The INCRA router plate for the Triton TRA-001, TRC-001 MOF-001KC is model number MLP7518-AL.

We do not have this model in stock but can be added to our next shipment.

Regards Garry

Back