TV cookery....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Does any cookery programme warrant 3 hours a week on BBC1?
This bloody Masterchef thing seems to last forever.

I actually like masterchef the professionals, one of my favourite shows ever, the talent on it is always amazing, the only thing that would make it perfect is removing greg wallace, but everything else about it is great.

Though I enjoy the programme ,what world do these restaurant chefs, and private chefs service?. There seems to be a never ending supply of them from Michelin starred establishments. I think it only goes to prove that there is another class of people out there with large disposable incomes that keeps this rarefied dining experience afloat.

Another TV show that displays this ( more so now than in the past) is Grand Designs. Only, those with a few million pounds are now able to build. From being about standard, but interesting self-builds, it has now become a show about the wealthy.

Last edited:
Though I enjoy the programme ,what world do these restaurant chefs, and private chefs service?. There seems to be a never ending supply of them from Michelin starred establishments. I think it only goes to prove that there is another class of people out there with large disposable incomes that keeps this rarefied dining experience afloat.

Another TV show that displays this ( more so now than in the past) is Grand Designs. Only, those with a few million pounds are now able to build. From being about about standard, but interesting self-builds, it has now become a show about the wealthy.
One of the chefs on this week owns a restaurant near us. My wife ate there a month or two ago. It was not especially expensive and the food excellent. Fine dining, outside of London, doesn’t have to be expensive.
A lot of private chefs do things like events, weddings etc. that’s a whole industry in itself, private chef doesn’t just mean some one cooking your dinner for you at home.

It’s one of my favourite shows…
Mine too.
Unlike so many of these shows, professional masterchef is able to showcase some real talent while Marcus and Monica are top class chefs and set the standard for judges.

Also: this is a format where the task isn't a ridiculous ask in the time available. Restaurant service is a high pressure environment and it's great to watch people rise to the challenge and succeed.

When thinking of top flight chefs, I always remember reading about the late great Jean Conil. He was docked a Michelin Star and when he asked why he was told it was obvious that as he spent so much of his time writing and lecturing he wasn't actually doing the cooking. Who does the cooking when you're not there, he was asked. The same people who do the cooking when I am, he replied.

I have to confess we are folk who do like these mad restaurants and seek them out in whatever country we're in...

Having said that, we recently had a truly superb lunch at the "Inn at the Sticks" in Llansteffann for under £30 each. It was every bit as good as meals we've had in some Michelin starred restaurants - different ambience, slightly more rustic presentation, but interesting combinations of astonishing flavours with perfectly cooked first class local ingredients at maybe 1/5 of the price. Look at the reviews and you'll see we weren't alone in being really impressed. Dog-friendly too. New management about 6 months ago, so recent reviews are the most relevant.

Inn At The Sticks - Google Search

Last edited:
I enjoy watching all the Masterchef variations, but there are so many episodes I tend to stop watching before the end of the series, then discover who has won elsewhere.

About 10 years ago, myself, my wife and 4 of our friends were staying in a private cottage down in Cornwall. We booked a meal at a "Nathan Outlaw" restaurant in Fowey for my mates wifes birthday celebrations. My mate ( an accomplished chef in his own right) had chosen the venue based upon a recommendation he'd read that stated it was "One of the top 100 restaurants in the country ".......Quite a statement and our expectations were high!!

To say that it was very poor, is putting it politely!.....6 of us, and they only served up 5 main courses,....Cauliflower Foam with all 5 meals,....by the time the 6th meal was cooked, we had all finished our main courses as the lady whose meal was missing insisted we eat ours,.....the starters and desserts were average at best,......the highlight as far as us 3 guys were concerned was the fact they had Duval Belgian beer on tap.

We ended up leaving a scathing comment on Trip Adviser and a couple of years later we went back to the same cottage and when we went into Fowey, we found out the restaurant had closed......No loss as far as we were concerned.

Last edited:
Is the remote defective?

Does that stop it being on for 3 hours a week?
A bit like turning your windscreen wipers on to stop it raining?
At least the Beeb should stagger the broadcasts rather than night after night....

And then stick it in the microwave to reheat...........
We believe that reinventing moderna appliances is the way to go ...
135062-1677232327039.png

Look at the reviews and you'll see we weren't alone in being really impressed. Dog-friendly too. New management about 6 months ago, so recent reviews are the most relevant.

Inn At The Sticks - Google Search
As in main land Europe, Dogs should not be allowed in Restaurants, not everyone likes them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back