Turning for real men!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philip,
I'm not sure that who I am or what I do has any bearing on the nature of your posts.

I don't think I've come across anyone before who considers that the mantra "do as I say, not as I do" has virtue ... interesting.

Jon

Philip,
You may of course describe yourself as you please but don't presume to know how I would describe you - I've only given my opinion on your posts and many of them seem to be disingenuous and full of hubris and conceit.

I am very suspicious of anyone's motives who states that they are unwilling to demonstrate because they can't do it safely and then makes snide remarks about H&S when they see other people demonstrating and trying to do their best to further the craft.

Jon

This is intended as my last comment on this post as it is quite frankly boring, but to not respond would be to grant some kind of tacit approval or agreement to the diatribe that has been posted.

Philip, you have succinctly failed to back up your claim that it is disturbing that Richard has posted the video.

In your posts, which frankly, I cannot understand what you are trying to prove or debate, you have found my video and attacked me in turn after some trite ramblings about the third world and justifying your comments by stating your employment position of which I have little interest.

My video was not made as an instructional video. I would not expect my sons to use the techniques in the video as much as I wouldn’t expect them to drive as they do in their favourite film, the Blues Brothers, they appear to have more common sense than a vast percentage of the adult population. I think they have watched Rambo but I have not bought them an air rifle yet, perhaps I should, then I could sue the director if they committed carnage. It is not yet a defence which has stood up in court!

Let me drift back to the comments you make about the personality driven world. I don’t know, nor care what you are trying to infer, if it’s me who is trying to (using your phrase) “”big oneself up”, so I thought that I would make my position on this point clear. What you think of me is your problem and yours alone. I care not what you think of me, the only people who I care about in this respect is my wife and my two boys.

You encourage Richard and Jon to comment on my video, I think they have probably got a thousand better things to do, both more profitable and more enjoyable. However, if you knew the machine I was using you would know that some of the pompous comments you make about bandsaw safety are unachievable, and anyway if your assertions were correct then I should be commended for trying to rectify my large fingers, sadly I failed, they are still the same size!

If your defence to this nonsense is one of debate and provocation I think that you have badly mistaken the reading population who I think have found this tedious.

To Loz and others, I apologise if you believe I have swayed from the boundaries of civility but it was not I who attacked Richard’s professional integrity.

Been a while , well not much has changed ,lots to mull over ,it looks like H& E have taken over my PC as I can't play the video that Richard has posted from youtube .

Jeez Phil , your giving him some stick for posting it . I thought his explaination was sound enough to me . Maybe you should have gave him a ring and vented you feelings , because you don't seem to have come across to good on the forum .You make it sound personal to me of course I could be wrong .But I will stay with my signature on this one . Anyway I don't like to see people I respect and admire being at loggerheads

boysie39":318msg5w said:
......,it looks like H& E have taken over my PC as I can't play the video that Richard has posted from youtube .

If the YouTube page has an option caption showing Mobil/Desktop make sure you have desktop selected.
disp.jpg

Attachments

• disp.jpg
    disp.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 576
To put the video into perspective, I would rather try that than fell trees or cut off branches with a chain saw. Tasks which are much more dangerous IMHO & should things go wrong the consequences potentially much worse. If the user in the video hurt anyone, it would only be himself.

If we use the argument about cost to the community then should we should control the likes of, for instance, mountain walkers who get themselves into all sorts of difficulties? Rescuing them involves much more than the cost of the emergency services, hospital etc, it often puts other people's lives at risk.

Then if we take H&S arguments to the extreme, none of us would be driving. A motor vehicle has the potential to do more damage to more people than probably any other item that's in everyday use yet we jump in & drive off without a second thought.

As I said at the beginning, just a perspective. It's not meant to be controversial. :)

So Richard, if I bring my own saw, what's the chances of you upending your wadkin & giving me a few lessons? :x

Back