Turning a coconut shell?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige52

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it's possible to turn a coconut shell? I've seen photos of small bowls that have been hand sandpapered and varnished and wondered if it was possible on a lathe, to get a nice smooth finish?
Or should I just bin it.....our bird feeders already have hanging nuts on them, don't need any more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would say anything is fair game. Holding it might be a challenge, but work that out and you're off.
Cindy Drozda turned a Kohlrabi so I see no reason not to try.

I have a suspicion it will create some horrible dust as well as having a tendency to shatter and create shrapnel. I'd suggest you proceed with caution and then let us know the results :)
Once someone else has survived it I'd be interested in giving it a go!

Castanea":6r6gxg69 said:
I have a suspicion it will create some horrible dust as well as having a tendency to shatter and create shrapnel. I'd suggest you proceed with caution and then let us know the results :)
Once someone else has survived it I'd be interested in giving it a go!
Seconding the tendency to create shrapnel. Wear a full face shield!

I think the main problem surely is that the shell won't be perfectly round and it's quite thin - relatively. There just might not be a continuous round bowl in there.

On the other hand if it's merely power sanding you want to do then that may be less of an issue.

Hot melt glue as a low-cost method of holding would be worth a try IMHO
Jon

Remember coconut milk and electrics don't mix :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As said above about the thickness and the possibility that it may shatter.

Yes I agree it might be a shattering experience :mrgreen:
I was considering, emptying the nut of water, then going through the sandpaper grades in the lathe, then finally attempting to cut it in half with a 1/16 parting tool to get a perfect rim.....I didn't intend to actually put a gouge on it, I thought it would be really nice with a high polish on the outside :)

You could cut it with a hacksaw with of the lathe stopped, or rotated slowly by hand; rather than use a parting tool.

Turn three small feet to fit into the three blackspots - not sure what to call them.

Brian

I have had a go at turning one, as they are not round you can't take much off them before they explode and they do explode. I was trying to get the shell in to the round for a project that i was working on but there was not enough shell to play with.. I can tell you that power sanding works the best. :D
All the best Les

Nige52":16kd5ze6 said:
Thanks all :)
Les, you mean an orbital sander? I have a triangular shaped one with velcro pads...hmm

That will work but i used a foam pad with velcro that fits in a drill, I went from 120 to 600 grit sand paper and left it with a shiny finish after giving it a few coats of finishing oil.

A warning don't sand the ridges on the coconut away if you are sanding the coconut on the lathe as the coconut will explode.
Take care and happy and safe turning. Les

Walnut Les":2l5zbj8x said:
A warning don't sand the ridges on the coconut away if you are sanding the coconut on the lathe as the coconut will explode.
Take care and happy and safe turning. Les

I bet that was fun Les. I can imagine how they would go from breaking a shell in half and the nits fly everywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have turned brazil nut husks successfully. They are a bit thicker than a coconut shell so there is a little more leeway but in either case, you need to turn it far enough to get it uniformly round. That might prove difficult with a coconut shell.

Back