Tulips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfire

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my recent success with the inlaid poppies, I thought I'd have another go on a similar theme just in case it was a fluke. I made a another vase using a Steve Goode outline and then inlaid some tulips of my design into it. I then finished it off with a bit of pyrography. The wood is a piece o old pine sandwiched between two bits of 6mm mahogany. The inlay is 6mm BB ply.

I thought my wife would be over the moon with it and soon filling it with her clay flowers but it wasn't to be. She said it was very nice but had decided that wooden vases are not a good idea for her clay flowers because it brings attention to the fact that they aren't real. The upshot was that she stuck the Iceland poppies that she'd just finished in a jug.

The good news is that I can go back to making stuff for my self.
Thanks for looking.
Sam

Attachments

• Icelandic.jpg
    Icelandic.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 438
  • tulip-inlay.jpg
    tulip-inlay.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 436
They both look great! those flowers look like the real thing! are they very fragile?
I had an idea for your wooden vases and maybe you could make wooden money boxes using the same technique and decorate them with you inlaid flowers and pyro?
Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian,
The flowers are made from air drying clay, but surprisingly they are no too fragile. Thanks for the idea of the money box, I have been trying to think of something that I could do the inlay work on and I hadn't thought of a moneybox. I may well give that a go soon, however, I promised myself that I'd try a bit of simple Automata, so that is next on my hit list.
Regards
Sam

Latest posts

Back