TS riving knife.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Quick question on riving knifes.
Is there any reason why a riving knife needs to protrude above the top of the blade ?

Also, how do you go about cutting a zero insert when the riving knife raises with the blade ?

I don't think there is a reason why some knives protrude above the blade. I think the only reason is probably to have more area to fix the guard to.

When I made my ZCI, I took the riving knife off. Clamped the insert into position and raised the saw up through it. I then had to finish it off with a jigsaw to get the riving knife through.

Thanks Tom. That's exactly what I thought I'd need to do - always better to check first though ;).
I'll be lowering the riving knife ever so slightly so that it's just below the blade. It's a pita to keep having to take it off if I need to cut grooves for anything.
The guard will be getting remounted on a pole.

Steve, your super style fence is almost exactly what I'm thinking of building for use as my main guard.
I like having extraction built into the guard - so that'll be added as well.

Made a start on the zci today - got half a dozen blanks roughed out. Just need to get a file onto them to make 'em the exact right size to fit in the hole then cut some slots. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised how easily the TS cut 3mm Al - don't know what I expected though.

Steve, I like the magnetic guard - don't suppose you've any vids of how you made it. I can't spot it in any of your 'workshop essentials' DVD's.

When i made my ZCI for my sip, i made up the mdf blank, moved the rip fence to the very edge of the existing insert and ran the ZCI, with the blade at full height, until it was level with the existing one.

Then jused glued in a 3mm piece of maple and sprayed it all then waxed it.
I'm not very comfortable with raising a table saw blade into work pieces.

Cheers Rob

jlawrence":rnmzaq3x said:
Steve, I like the magnetic guard - don't suppose you've any vids of how you made it. I can't spot it in any of your 'workshop essentials' DVD's.

The plans for the magnetic guard, and the SUVA-style one, are on Workshop Essential 3, the Ultimate Tablesaw Tenon Jig. There is no video as such for the guards, but a good PDF with dimensions which you should be able to adapt to your own saw.

Cheers
Steve

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a riving knife(s) that I can modify to fit my Wadkin dimension saw?

Tried the usual suspects without much joy.

Cheers
Graeme

Steve Maskery":3qa74ld8 said:
If you watch this episode of Workshop Essentials TV, you'll see how I mount my guard. It may give you some ideas.
Cheers
Steve

Steve...thanks for reviving my intent to extend the experience that I have with SUVA GUARDS from acquiring an INCA 150 this year.

Since using it I realised how brilliant and convenient in its simplicity this design is but it did not enter my head to actually make a version for the bigger saw.

I like your design and am thinking about how I can mount this on my Scheppach. I am thinking about using the fence edge for a grip. That way the saw is not "modified" and it can be used on both sides.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jimi

Back