Riving knife thickness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, the safety standards (admittedly from 2-5 which is for hand held circular saws including track saws) call for a riving knife to be thicker than the plate, but thinner than the kerf.

....??....We all know that Colin!.....Have you read the rest of this thread?

Quite a useful thread, thank you.

I am currently just trying to work out the riving knife arrangement with my Hammer B3 saw/spindle moulder that I am rebuilding (still awaiting parts…).

A slightly tangential point to the original one..

As far as I can tell there is no alignment adjustment available on the Hammer B3 to bring the riving knife into line with the sawblade (the illustration earlier is helpful). This may be OK when using a standard blade for which the machine was originally set up/designed, but if a thinner blade is fitted, for which a thinner riving knife is required, then the riving knife will be somewhat offset to the blade. Shims are probably the simplest solution, but I would like to work out a better way of dealing the alignment in. (My previous Scheppach saw had adjustment of the main arbour and bearings assembly to align with the fixed riving knife mount a point I discovered some years after putting up with a slightly misaligned riving knife.)

I think the best solution is going to be a custom machined mounting block for the riving knife with some set screw adjustment, we will see. Anyway, some of the discussion above is helpful..

Cheers

Back