trying some of the tools out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggly

Established Member
Reaction score
been appreciating the work that others have posted so thought i'd take the time to take some piccies and try some joinery myself. I've been busy extending my house and need a feature truss rafter for the porch so here goes

DSC_0136.jpg

a quick layout of the measurements and the simple shape

DSC_0137.jpg

defining the shape on the bandsaw not used this machine much so still getting to grips with its potential

DSC_0144.jpg

all three items now cut

DSC_0148.jpg

over to the sander

DSC_0154.jpg

tenons cut mortices are cut by hand i havent got a morticer and so used a pillar drill and cleaned them out by hand but if santa is listening a morticer would be great if i am to do any more.

DSC_0155.jpg

the clamps are on so it is goodnight vienna

DSC_0156.jpg

clamps off

DSC_0158.jpg

knocking the arris off

DSC_0159.jpg
]

a quick buzz over

DSC_0160.jpg

just needs a few coats of varnish and it can go and expose itself to the elephants

simple by most standards but i hope you enjoyed it

A cold time of the year to be doing a porch. Please show us your progress, interesting method re cutting with the bandsaw.

your right it is brass monkeys down here at the mo and the rafter is not a very high priority on the to do list but the workshop was much warmer

what does the van do - get in the way mostly :D

The wheels are just the standard elise rims it has a hurricane induction kit and a stainless sports exhaust and a decat pipe otherwise the standard car

i thought that it was cedar as it was very red but once it went through the thicknesser it looks a lot whiter and once the varnish went on it started to look like pine, not the look i was after. The varnish is clear satin and has dulled down a bit now and on closer inspection there is more detail and the red is coming back a bit especially in the grain so it may be pirana but i am not brilliant at identification of wood much past oak or walnut so i am open to suggestions

looks in good nick - great car. I had one a couple of years ago, sadly had to let it go to complete the self build. Had the hurricane plus decat for a while, eventually added a sports cat to make it legal. Also, some braided brake pipes and a 160 throttle body. Boy do I miss it - even in these dark winter days!

thanks Andy - i've been lucky enough to keep it so far not easy with an extension and two kids :lol:

yes ive got a drive but the van is full of tools and to keep a nice motor nice you have to keep it out of the weather.

Back