Trust "Trust a trader"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
Would you ? Should you ?

Do the reviews / star ratings count for anything, or are bad reviews silently lost ?

Any comments gratefully received.

in my limited experience they are about as reliable as any other of these kinds of sites. it can still remain pot luck, if you ask me.

I guess it's a bit less less of a risk than going with no info whatsoever. I'll probably need to use them when trying to get a garden and drive done in the very near future.

Hi

No I don't - I always rely on first hand recommendations from people I know personally.

Regards Mick

Ive found some really helpful people on checkatrade -air conditioning and satellite.

Never tried trust a trader.

I've used Rated People to get work for the last 4 years. I used it initially to get small jobs as 'fillers' between big jobs, and since my back went and I had to stop heavy stuff it's been a godsend.
There's no request at the outset for any qualifications, so the first batch of customers do the 'rating' that guide the following customers. If a cowboy uses the system and gets a flow of negative ratings then he won't get much more work, however there's nothing to stop him re-registering under another name.
All ratings that are posted are published and beyond my control, however even though I ask every customer to post a rating only about 25% bother. There will be a number of unhappy customers (not mine I should add, all mine are 5 star), who just dismiss the whole idea as bad and never go back to the site. It's hit and miss and you have no guarantee that the guy is even qualified to do the work.
I think the best thing to do is to choose one that has a lot of ratings, meaning he has been there a while, then ask him for some references from his own customers once you have him there to quote. My customers are usually pleased with the process as it's more convenient and quicker than trawling through Yellow Pages or the local paper.
Use it as a way of getting trades people to the house, then make your own judgement. Bear in mind that the tradesman will have paid for your details and will want to get the job on the spot because of that fact. Whatever you do, don't assume that he knows what he is doing, treat it as though he came from a small ad in the paper.

If you do use Rated People, put a low figure as a budget in your ad. If you put a high figure hoping to attract more tradesmen it bounces up the cost of the lead to the traders and you'll get no calls as no one will buy the lead. I often see ad's that state 'I have put a low estimated figure to keep the cost of the lead down'. These are people who have obviously used the system and have been tipped off by tradesmen.

Oh, one more thing, don't post the ad more than once, you'll end up with people buying it twice and some very disgruntled and expensive responses!

Back