Glass panel in Gazebo roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy brit

Reaction score
Hi, I am building a wooden Gazebo(from a kit). The roof is made up from Tongue and groove cladding (sitting on joists), a membrane, and Bitumen shingles. My wife has decided that it would be a nice idea to cut out the roof between 2 sets of joist, leaving a few tongue and groove cladding top and bottom, creating a window. Then she want to put glass into these spaces. I would have to create a frame for the glass to sit on, but I do not want water to get between the frame/joists and the glass. I have a few ideas, but can any one here suggest a way of doing it? I am only a reasonably competent DIYer so any suggestions that would conform any of my thoughts would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Colin

Hi, I am building a wooden Gazebo(from a kit). The roof is made up from Tongue and groove cladding (sitting on joists), a membrane, and Bitumen shingles. My wife has decided that it would be a nice idea to cut out the roof between 2 sets of joist, leaving a few tongue and groove cladding top and bottom, creating a window. Then she want to put glass into these spaces. I would have to create a frame for the glass to sit on, but I do not want water to get between the frame/joists and the glass. I have a few ideas, but can any one here suggest a way of doing it? I am only a reasonably competent DIYer so any suggestions that would conform any of my thoughts would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Colin
"Stepped" flashing, possibly with the bitumen shingles removed, if they are bendy enough.

It may be best to not have a frame. Put 5mm security glazing tape on the rafters and lay the glass on that add greenhouse style glass clips to secure the bottom edge then use mastic or mastic tape to fix the bitumen tiles directly to the glass. Alternatively use a rubber seal and glazing bar of the type used on conservatories, have a look at exitex ones.

Back